“Best food in town.”

The Tasting Room
Cuisines: African, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: The Tasting Room at Le Quartier Francais is South Africa's most lauded fine-dining restaurant. It is the stage to award-winning Chef, Margot Janse, and her unique African Inspired Surprise Tasting Menu. Here, in this intimate setting, serious diners have the opportunity to experience a true journey of taste. With a menu that continues to evolve and astonish The Tasting Room, and its African Inspired cuisine, creates a dining experience unlike any other. One where surprise and nostalgia take centre stage. In The Tasting Room every African Inspired dish is exceptional and engaging. Truly refined with a distinct feminine touch and, at the same time, unexpectedly exciting ... Exhilarating in fact. It is this contradiction that results in The Tasting Room menu's outstanding balance and ensures that the cuisine is nothing short of a theatrical masterpiece.In The Tasting Room the journey extends further than just phenomenal cuisine; it moves fearlessly into the captivating realm of stories and magic. A place where each plate, and its African inspired elements, have the ability to captivate the hearts and minds of diners.The Tasting Room is open Tuesdays to Saturdays for dinner only. 19H00 till late.Please allow at least 3 hours for your dinner.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is one of the best restaurants in South Africa. We (6 people) dined at the Common Room. The best meal we have had in S.A

1  Thank JMOM171

Reviewed March 10, 2013

I am unable to score on this on several fronts.
Very hyped so had secured my reservation well 2-months in advance. It was full & no empty table were seen.
I think the the reputation has got the service, food, wines down the hill.
Both my wife and me had the Tasting Menu, different, due to dietary requirements.
Service, very mechanical & no warmth, very plastic.
Twice, they swapped the wines on us, the server insisted it was correct, that made the food even less pleasing. ( on getting the menu later, as it was surprise, we were correct in our assessment). Admit if you made an error, in fact, since I am writing a book on Culinary Food & Wine, i had requested if the chef could explain the choice of what we thought was a mis-matched wine, & perhaps she had a ver good rationale! Server said she was busy & he himself was busy entertaining the couple next table & impatient with us.
One of my main course, was obviously placed in the oven, came overcooked & crispy. The maitre d' immediately removed and offered to replace. Kudos to her for her quick action. Less can be said to her server. If i had been a blind reporter, this evening would have failed on all fronts!! Dont let success get ahead of you, concentrate on the food & service!

1  Thank Danny G
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Well in fact there were 10 with a complementary started and a bread course! 9 different wines too! Very good quality - not cheap, but certainly worth the money as a holiday treat!

Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

This place is unbelievable. The Chef is definitely a genius. We chose the surprise 8 course meal. 8 different dishes paired with 8 different wines. A real real treat for the pallet. Every single dish had a story behind it and it tasted like heaven. The presentation of the dishes was fabulous. The service was excellent. The more I say about the food the less it is. I am not sure how friendly this place would be to Vegetarians but this Chef is capable of anything. The 8 different wines will get you very drunk so go very easy on the wines. Overall one of the best meals I have ever had in my life. The place may be expensive for some. My wife and I paid a bill of about 2,500 rand which included two 8 course meals and all the wines etc. Please please visit this place if you can. And make reservations way in advance because there is always a waiting list.

1  Thank Layman1
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We really din'd know what to ecpect, so we went in with open minds.
And I think that's the best way to go, because this is not a "classic" dining experience.
What is classic is the excellent and very attentive service (very warm), the very knowledgable sommelier, and the very tasty food.
What makes it different are, of course, the dishes.
There is no choice: only an eight course menu.(of whitch you don't even know the price).
All very tasteful (literally: full of taste) and original dishes with typicaly African ingredients. But this is not per se an exotic meal, not at all.
The three first dishes were the same for the both of us, and after that, we both got separate dishes, with different things.
Was it sheer luck or extremely good intuition, I don't know, but the fact was that we both got the dishes we individualy liked best and would have chosen if we had had the chance.
I must admit that not EVERY dish is right on, but you have so much fun tasting and discovering that you hardly even notice that.
Also the decor was a little different than what we expected, but it works well.

We will certainly return next time we're in Franschoek, it was really a very enjoyable and fun dinner experience.
Love this place!