“Service & food great - experience can get better”

Grande Provence Estate Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 76 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Grande Provence Heritage Wine Estate wears her 300-year history with style. Nestled within the Franschhoek Valley in the Western Cape, surrounded by 47-acres of lush vines, this is heartland South African wine country at its finest. The Estate is home to Grande Provence’s award-winning wines and its passionate wine making team. Following harvest every year, carefully selected wines leave the Estate to compete in some of the world’s most prestigious competitions – the number and frequency of the awards bears testament to their success. A sophisticated destination in its own right, Grande Provence proudly presents superb cuisine at The Restaurant, fine wines at The Tasting Room, some of South Africa’s finest art at The Gallery & The Shop, receptions and boutique conferences at The Jonkershuis and 5-star accommodation at The Owner’s Cottage.
Stockholm, Sweden
“Service & food great – experience can get better”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The staff was great. The food was very nice and very uncomplicated, which I enjoyed, since many of today’s restaurants often overdo it, they simply try too hard, and that was not in any way the case here. They just keep it simple, yet tasty and pleasant to look at.

When we were there, unfortunately it was extremely hot inside the restaurant and we heard other guests complaining about it. We soon found out there was a large company seated right next to the glass doors (that were sliding doors) who had demanded management to turn off the AC as well as closing all of the windows and doors, which I find extremely disrespectful to other guests. I, along with other guests actually enjoyed our dessert outside because of this, and the waiters willingly assisted us. Since the guests that caused all of this went outside themselves every once in a while to get some air (I even heard them saying it was difficult to breathe inside), I would have appreciated that the majority should have had their say in it and that the manager would have taken care of it.

Would I go back? Definitely, however I would really hope that I didn’t have to relive those types of guests ever again.

• Visited January 2014

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
“Totally Perfect”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I booked the Jonkershuis venue for my husband's 50th birthday. We and 13 of our family and friends, all from the UK, had come to South Africa to celebrate this special evening. This was total perfection and the most fantastic evening. The Jonkershuis location, food and service were first class and everyone who came to the meal highly praised the whole event. It will remain in our memories forever.

A big thank you to Barbara for assisting with the arrangements, Aldo the restaurant manager for a wonderful evening, the service was impeccable and chef Darren for the fantastic food produced by his team; all of which made Stevens birthday meal such a memorable event.

Thanks again and we hope to return very soon and enjoy Grande Provence all over again.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank DebTwoHoots
Brighton, United Kingdom
“excellent!”
Reviewed March 24, 2014

walk into the restaurant at dusk, through the atmospheric gardens to be met by attentive staff with a fine knowledge of both the food cooked and the wine on offer. The menu was extensive and the food well presented. A wonderful experience

Visited March 2014
1 Thank martinSussex
Bedford, United Kingdom
“Expected Better”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have eaten at Grande Provence each year for the last three years. Sadly tonight's food was as not as good as on previous occasions. Good - but not the expected 'exceptional'. It was quite clear that other diners were also unhappy with the food. Maybe we should have chosen not to visit on a Sunday night? The service and surroundings were as good as ever.

• Visited March 2014
Western Cape, South Africa
“Style over substance”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was our second meal in Franschhoek and it was a complete disappointment. When your expectations are high and the standard is average you feel short-changed. Good things: the service, the ostrich leather comfortable couch. Bad things: the food. The food was style over substance. Starter I had the 'chicken and egg.' This was an under seasoned chicken mousse around a solid egg yolk. Anyone who orders an egg expects a soft flowing yolk; well not this one. There was no flavour to the chicken so it was just a grainy texture around the solid yolk that added nothing. When the waiter collected my plate and asked me what I thought I clearly said ' it was okay bit under seasoned.' Nothing was done to rectify this. The amuse bouche and inter-course chef tasters were fine but not tasty enough to rate this as a good meal as nothing was actually delicious. Ok, the processes may have been complex but the flavour was lacking. For main I had beef, which was average. The parsnip purée was saccharin and over cinammon-ed. Dessert was textures of chocolate which was approximately 3cm in diameter and low on taste. I am a slim person who eats small portions and who often dines at Michelin- starred restaurants in the UK and Europe so I am familiar with fine dining standards. This was just a masquerade. I would have preferred it if it was marketed as a mediocre dining establishment. Personally, I would have like something tasty and something new. This menu was a version of something I've had before, but done badly. What a disappointment.

• Visited March 2014