“Budget gourmet”
Review of Bread and Wine

Bread and Wine
Ranked #8 of 75 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: European, Gastropub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Bread & WInes is home to Neil Jewells' interesting and local food with a personal twist. Enjoy either 2 or 3 courses from his eclectic every changing menu. Neil's Charcuterie is not to be missed.Beautiful courtyard setting, delicious food and child friendly.
NYC
“Budget gourmet”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This excellent lunch option offers top quality foods and sacrifices all of the right things to keep the bill quite reasonable. Flavors were right on; the slow cooked lamb dish was exceptional and the desserts were fun and inventive. To keep things affordable the whole experience is done with laid back country charm, and the portion sizes are a bit smaller than we expected. For the budget conscious foodie this is perfect, and if you're not as thrifty just order a few courses. The portions range so it's worth asking the staff before you order. Service was fine, not noteworthy either way. Our main, and very minor gripe, was that the presentation was overly fussy for the main courses--unnecessary and strange given the farmhouse atmosphere they cultivate.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Continues to provide a delightful lunch”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

If I want an assured delightful lunch, I know I can get it at Bread and Wine. I am a sucker for cassoulet, so this was an easy-sell. The cassoulet was VERY tasty, albeit a rather small portion. I saw other tables being served probably the best presented Hake that I have come across. The restaurant's presentation is always very good. I have never had a meal here that I have not enjoyed and nor has a fellow diner been presented with a dish that has not been raved about.

Hout Bay, South Africa
“More please!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went for the Moreson chardonnay which did not disappoint and enjoyed a fabulous lunch. A vibrant, bustling atmosphere set in a courtyard under the trees. We had the charcuterie platter with exotic salamis - hazelnut salami being my favourite. Our mains were delectable. My husband says the Wagyu beef was the best he's tasted and my pulled lamb on sourdough was delicious. We took our dogs (dogs by invitation only) who loved the attention and remained calm on their leashes under the trees. Dessert arrived in a jar, chocolate mouuse and white chocolate panacotta. it should have arrived in a limousine! Fabulous all round!

Visited August 2013
Cape Town
“Yummy indeed!”
Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

On a stunning winter's day we had the good fortune to sit outside at Bread and Wine. Miss Molly Bubbly in hand we went about choosing our lunch. A wonderful selection of dishes with a difference. I chose the Charcuterie platter followed by the 12h slow cooked pulled lamb. Both were amazing. My wife had the bright green Rocket, potato and leek soup and the the fish cakes. All four dishes were from the starter section. Since I "only" had two starters I finished off with the smoked coffee choc mousse with panacotta, yummy!
Service was fab, knowledgable and friendly. It is a great place and I can recommend to the most discerning lunchers!

1 Thank NilsHeckscher
Prince Albert, South Africa
“Jewell in the Crown”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I've eaten Neil Jewell's charcuterie before and always admired both his approach and his dedication to the craft. He makes incredible cured meats and on that account alone, the man is a legend. Sure, I know he's a chef, but in 3 visits to the property, I'd never sat down and eaten his cooking. Dumb move. The menu is deceptively simple, but the work that goes into something like the "12 hour lamb" is incredible. It cooks in a ceramic barbecue/smoker called a Big Green Egg for 12 hours and is meltingly tender and heart-stoppingly delicious at the end of it.
Because of his work with charcuterie, Neil is a maestro with meat and is very well acquainted with his suppliers, buying only the best, sustainably raised or farmed meat. This is particularly true of the dish that will have me rushing back there as soon as my schedule allows - Wagu beef steak. Forget that it was perfectly aged and cooked and tasted as you imagine steak should taste. The char on the crust and the rare innards meant it had been cooked over a very high heat - as it should be. But the best was that it arrived on the plate with potato dumplings made with smoked potatoes. The marriage of the charred crust on the steak with the smokiness of the potato was heavenly. What a treat.
The staff were faultlessly polite and accommodating, and the setting - on a clear, sunny winter's day with snow on the surrounding mountains - was perfect. No wonder he was fully booked in the middle of winter.

1 Thank Russel W