“Simply Brilliant!”
Review of Bread and Wine

Bread and Wine
Ranked #11 of 83 Restaurants in Franschhoek
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Bread & WInes is home to Neil Jewells' interesting and local food with a personal twist. Enjoy either 2 or 3 courses from his eclectic every changing menu. Neil's Charcuterie is not to be missed.Beautiful courtyard setting, delicious food and child friendly.
Reviewed January 16, 2012

Tina & Neil are onto a winner in this stunning little country restaurant and deli. We adore this place for an alfresco lunch. Th e service is just lovely, friendly and attentive. Our risotto dishes were quite amazing and so tasty. We ate twice during our visit. Cannot praise it and the staff highly enough. The estate wine ain't half bad either!

1  Thank Fairlie

Reviewed January 16, 2012

We spent a pleasant afternoon under the French country tree setting. This estate ( Moreson) has its own excellent wines. We had the Sauvignon Blanc which was reasonably priced (R85) and excellent. (We also did some wine-tasting afterwards and purchased their really great Chardonnay plus the wine we had drank.) My wife and I had the quail at R140. Our friends had the anti-pasta platter (R110) and steak (R140). Everyone was very happy with the food. (Not too much and not too little as we are all health conscious.) Great ambience for a lazy afternoon eating good food and sipping good wine. I will definitely recommend this to friends.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Simply superb. To start off with we had a shared board of home cured charcuterie (delicious) and then for main I had the tastiest Pork Belly I have ever eaten as was the Pannacotta.

Bread & Wine is attached to a Wine Farm and so you get super wines at cellar door prices to accompany your meal.

Such an idyllic place to spend lunch.

Remember to reserve a table though!

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Set in a wonderful atmosphere and serving very good food.

Reviewed January 3, 2012

We went to Bread & Wine for lunch while staying on holiday in the Cape. This was my third visit - it's such a favourite of ours, we try and fit it in every time we're in the area. I have never been anything but blown away by the food, atmosphere, service and setting, and this time was no exception - it's always a worry when you go back to places you've enjoyed, that they won't quite live up to previous experience, but Bread & Wine delivers every time.

As on previous visit, we started with charcuterie boards to share, which were quite simply delicious. Very generous portions of many different salamis, hams etc, but special mention to the scotch eggs and the pork rillettes, which are just so delicious!! For mains, we had ravioli carbonara, ox tongue salad, hake and pork belly, all of which were pronounced delicious. I had tuna provencal, which was beautifully cooked, and came with a beautiful puree, a medley of artichokes, tomatoes peppers etc, and the most delicious little tapenade fritters - YUM! Despite all of this, we were able to force down some puddings - chocolate torte with pistachio ice cream, and a lemon thyme pannacotta, both of which were exceptional, the pannacotta especially.

Throughout, service was perfect - attentive but not pushy, relaxed but absolutely on the ball. The setting is beautiful, and a couple of bottles of the vineyard's Sauv Blanc didn't go amiss either.

For me, however, what makes the experience is the food - every mouthful was spot on. Wonderful, inventive flavours and pairings which make this one of the very best dining experiences I've had in South Africa, or indeed elsewhere. Elsewhere in SA I've had beautifully cooked, delicious food, but this is perhaps the most interesting/inventive, and so it really gets my vote! Already looking forward to next time...

2  Thank Sarah P