“Made our Honeymoon Special”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Franschhoek
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Franschhoek
London, United Kingdom
“Made our Honeymoon Special”
Reviewed January 9, 2011

From the warm, friendly welcome at reception, including clear information about services and local amenities to the painless check-out the staff were some of the best we met the whole 2 weeks of our holiday. The room was not the most expensive we rented, but the treat of flower petals in bedroom and bath, flowers, bubbly and chocolates and splendid grounds well looked after combined with a real sense of pride in the hotel and town made us so comfortable.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kevinandsandra

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Alberton, South Africa
Reviewed December 28, 2010

All staff were extremely friendly in comparison to other hotels I have stayed at, including overseas. As I have a Gold Prokard and used it at breakfast on the day of my birthday the diningroom staff noticed the date of the birth on the card. I was "royally" treated by them with surprises which truly made the day!

The hotel is centrally situated for shopping for curios, home made chocolates, restaurants etc. It is a short distance to drive to wine farms and to travel to other Western Cape areas. The 4 mountain passes and other passes are nearby as well as the N1. An ideal central hotel to travel out each day sightseeing or visits by day or night to nearby large towns.

I fully recommend a stay at the Protea Franschhoek whether for leisure or business. The scenery is superb and provides great relaxation.

George Wright

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Middelburg, South Africa
Reviewed December 21, 2010

Thanks for the hospitality. We enjoyed staying there. A lovely hotel with very very friendly and helpful staff. Wish we could stay there for our entire holiday.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Cape Town
Reviewed November 23, 2010

The rose petals in the bath and the little bottle of champagne were a lovely touch for our Anniversary stay. We will definitely stay at the hotel again. Lovely setting and friendly staff. Quiet as well.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2010

We spent 2 days at the Protea Hotel and we were delighted with all aspects. Friendly, helpful staff. Fantastic breakfast. Large comfortable rooms situated around a very pleasant pool area. Franschhoek is a beautiful place, definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Roatan, Honduras
Reviewed February 5, 2010

This was a last minute decision, third hotel we tried driving between Stellenbosch and Franshhoek. It is strange haggling over price in a hotel of this quality, but it seems the done thing in South Africa!

The location is fantastic, i wanted to be able to wander down the main street and choose a nice restaurant based on Menus, rather than be stuck with the only restaurant in walking distance, and the Protea gave that along with nice rooms and a pool catching the sun until late.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WillW1
Phuket, Thailand
Reviewed January 26, 2010

I literally just checked into this hotel and instantly regretted it. Our friends received their room for R824 and, when I asked if we could stay too, their answer was that room rates were strictly R1300. I declined. Later when we dropped off our friends I again asked about the rate for the evening. The lady told me that R1300 was the only price. I pointed out that my friends were paying a much lower rate. The lady at the front desk then told me the 'rates change hourly.'

At this point I declined again and walked to my friend's room where I got a call from the front desk saying they could give me my friend's rate after all. Now I'm sitting in a tiny room with a view of the street (the other rooms are pool view and much larger) for over $120 per night!!! I cannot believe it. The good thing is that we are at least close to our good friends. I have been traveling all over South Africa and have stayed at some amazing places...the last place we stayed was a two bedroom/two bathroom beachfront apartment for the same price (Lagoon Beach Apartments was incredible! Great service too.)!!!

Price aside, I cannot believe the service. As a travel journalist, I will never, ever recomment this hotel to anyone personally or in any of my articles.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple