“Don't stay anywhere else!”

Maison Chablis Guest House
Ranked #8 of 64 Franschhoek B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 27, 2013

We only spent one night at Maison Chablis - but my goodness, we should have stayed longer. Location is excellent - very central (right next to Le Quartier Francais) and ideal for visiting all of the best restaurants in town (i.e. all easily walkable within 2-5 mins). A lovely pool to relax in too after a day's sightseeing or wine tasting. Excellent breakfast. Just stay here!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Maison Chablis Guest House

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We originally stayed at this lovely B&B for one night with a group of friends and liked it so much my husband & I went back again the following week so we could dine at The Tasting Rooms at Le Quartier Francais.

They have rooms at LQF but we felt this place had everything we needed for a fraction of the price. The warmth, hospitality and helpfulness of the owner James and his manager Pat are just exceptional. Location is perfect, on a quiet side street with it's own secure parking, a few moments stroll from Franschhoeks main street and restaurants - ideal if you want to be able to eat and drink without anyone having to drive.

I'm really fussy about where I stay and I found this to be very tastefully done, the rooms are lovely with comfy beds, luxurious bathrooms, free wifi, mini-bar, tea & coffee making facilities (always a big plus!). All the downstairs rooms have their own patios with seating, and a pathway which leads to a very peaceful pool, deck and garden area to relax in. In the morning expect a generous continental breakfast and a very tasty cooked breakfast served by the lovely ladies in the breakfast room.

If you are mulling over where to stay, I thoroughly recommend this place.Thank you James, Pat and the lovely ladies who served our breakfast for making our stay so wonderful. We hope to be back one day!

Room Tip: Ground floor have patios. Superior room (No 5) corner room is the largest and is lovely.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed at Maison Chablis for 4 nights. Perfect location for the main street in Franschhoek and easy walking distance to some great places to eat and drink. James was a superb host, made us feel very welcome and was very knowledgeable about places to visit. The room was excellent and also thanks to Pat for the insight into life in Franschhoek.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We were a party of 5 staying for just 1 night in 3 rooms at Maison Chablis following a wedding in Stellenbosch. James was the perfect host - he made us feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble. He recommended lots of things for us to do during our short visit, booked us a table for dinner at The French Connection restaurant based on our request for a casual bistro and even picked us up a new adapter while he was out shopping. This elegant guest house has everything you could wish for: our rooms were lovely and clean, stylishly furnished and really comfortable; ample, secure parking; the pool area was great for lazing around in the sun and watching the birds drink from the feeding bottles; the main shops and restaurants are literally a 5 minute stroll away and breakfast was superb. We really enjoyed chatting to Pat about Franschhoek and the surrounding area - she is a mine of information.
We all wished we could have stayed longer at Maison Chablis and will definitely return again when we come back to South Africa.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 10, 2013

The room was very clean and the quality of all materials nice - also good pillows! :-) We enjoyed our little front grade in the morning - tranquil. We are extremely grateful for the superb help and service with our bookings - a big hug for that to you! as well as the way you guided us in Franschhoek - thank you and we will see you again!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
James C, Owner at Maison Chablis Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Hi,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to do a review. You were a couple that I remember well and we look forward to your return one day. I am glad that you enjoyed the pillows as we had just recently replaced all the pillows throughout the guest house and it is nice to see that it was noted. Have a super day to you both. James

Reviewed April 7, 2013

First the good things:
The manager James was really friendly and welcoming. He had a good balance of chatter and leaving us alone.... (some proprietors can be too overbearing). We had to leave very early the next morning and James was kind enough to leave us a takeaway breakfast.
The position of the hotel was great - close to town and nice to walk into town.
Pool area was beautiful and everything very neat.

We stayed in the small garden room closest to the gate. It was nice but I did have a few issues:
- The room was very comfortable but very small.
- Although the mattress was very soft/ worn - it felt like we were the millionth person to have slept in that bed.
- The cupboard was painted a strange colour as compared with the wall paint(I'm an architect so I notice these small things)
- The decor in the room seemed a bit "tired" and confused....gilt ornate mirror frame, paintings, lamp shades didnt match
- The side lights were very hot and almost burned us a few times
- The shower tiles were cracked on the step which didnt look nice
- The shower had terrible water pressure and temperature sensitive - also fluctuated between burning ourseleves and freezing cold
- there was a wierd colourful billboard lying outside the gate which didnt look nice when looking from outside our window
- we could hear trhe voices of the people next door which was quite noisy

1  Thank tarryn222
James C, Owner at Maison Chablis Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hi, Thank you for your review and your constructive comments. That specific Standard Double room is a small room. Its positive attributes are its outside access to a private patio, which gets the afternoon sun. It is probably small by South African Standards, yet normal by european rooms, certainly to the ones that I have stayed whilst in France. It does have a large bathroom, yet the bedroom would probably be too small for a long stay.
I greatly appreciate your comment about the mattress, and i have today decided to replace it with a brand new one of a very good quality. The colour of the cupboards and walls were jointly decided by a company of Interior Designers, and is the theme throughout the guest house. I guess that we all have personal choices. I am sorry that you disagreed with it. It was professionally chosen by a respectable group that has been involved in the interior design of some leading hotels. I know them personally. The lamp shades are two identical Chrome items purchased from Woolworths so they match exactly. Perhaps you were referring to the side table lamp shades not matching the ceiling shades. In that case, do they ever? I am not an expert on that. They do indeed get hot. I will look at putting in a lower wattage bulb. thank you for that. The shower tiles are cracked, however, we are only able to do that kind of maintenance in the winter months (June) when we close down the guest house for that purpose.

I like my old enamel sign on the wall, but I get your point, and have already taken it down this morning. Thank you. Water pressure in Franschhoek is generally poor as we dont get the same pressure as Cape Town. I apologise for that. There is nothing I can do about it.

I regret that incident of the noises from the people next door. Some people can be inconsiderate and speak to loud, and the particular couple that stayed next door, were loud. Generally, we don't have a problem with noise from neighbours.

I do hope that you stay again. Please could you communicate with me directly next time so that we can arrange a larger room for you.

Kind regards,
James

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and it could not have been better. James was the perfect host taking us to where we had booked for lunch and recommending restaurants to us which turned out to be perfect. The accomodation has character,was most comfortable, very clean and had everything we needed including insect repellent which wasn't needed. The breakfast room is quite delightful and the choice of foods excellent.
Maison Chablis is well situated being only a couple of minutes walk from the main street with it's many upmarket restaurants and small boutiques.
I cannot fault this accomodation and would highly recommend Maison Chablis . Excellent value for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
James C, Owner at Maison Chablis Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Hi, Thank you for your lovely review. I am grateful that you found that we offered value for money. It is what we are trying to achieve, so its nice to hear that you experienced that. Thank you for your business and your stay with us!
regard, James