“Great experience!”

Shiduli Private Game Lodge
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our company meeting was arranged here to have both - work and relax. Many thanks to very friendly and helpful staff there to make this possible. Shiduli can boast of very comfortable and nicely looked after area around, clean rooms, good conference room, delicious meals and unforgettable game drives with very skillful rangers and trackers. For most of our team it was the first safari experience and the first visit to Africa. We give Shiduli credit for having this first experience really unsurpassed. Though we didn't see all Big Five, I think our guys and myself would definitely like to come here again with friends or family.
The only wish I would express to the staff - to make wi-fi and mobile connection more of higher quality, but this maybe concerns those who still need to be in touch with outer world. Those who don't want to bothered by "civilization", this is second to none place for this! :) Also monkeys' screams early in the morning can be a little irritating (at 5am), however, if you go to morning game drive - it's very helpful "alarm-device".

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Olga B

Reviewed February 7, 2013

My wife and I booked our visit through Sag who arranged a wonderful 7 day program. We had been looking forward to this break for some time and we were in no way disappointed.
The facilities at the lodge with the exception of WiFi are beyond reproach. All the staff were the most helpful and pleasant we have ever met on our travels throughout the world.
Food though not 5 star was wholesome and very acceptable.
Memories of the game drives and a bush walk will live with us forever, as will the knowledge gained from our ranger and tracker.
Yes it was strenuous up at 5 am, on the go all day and bed by 9pm but boy was it worth it and yes we did see the big five and lots more.

Room Tip: all but one room are identical and situated in lovey grounds but beware of the monkeys, keep youir d...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank DavidLH32
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have recently returned form a wonderful holiday at the Shiduli Private Game Lodge. The staff are freindly and the atmospher relaxed, this is a small lodge, wiht about 20 rooms located in bungalows in the grounds. This was my first game safari and my first time in South Africa, I cannot praise the lodge highly enough. The food was good (too good to be honest, having put on a few pounds in just 7 days). We saw all the BIG 5 (Lion, Elephant, Leopard, Buffalo & Rhino) during our stay , which is rare I understand. Morris, our guide was knowledgable and made Game Drives interesting and fun. I would definately recommend this lodge as a first class holiday experience and retreat

Room Tip: All the rooms were identical, except for one which is suitable for Honeymooners
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank VanPer
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My friend, sister & I stayed here as part of our Friendly Planet tour and had an amazing time. The accommodations were comfortable, the staff was friendly and helpful and gave us an awesome safari experience. We went on a morning & night safari drive and a morning hike, the tracker & driver made sure we saw as many animals as possible while educating us on the animals and vegetation. This was a very memorable part of our vacation!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Carolyn B
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I am a big fan of Shiduli Private Game Lodge but it's not until you go there that you find other lodges under the same banner of Karongwe Portfolio, Kuname, River Lodge, Chisomo, Shiduli will give you a fabulous stay and safari experience. Don't expect a lay in as with nature first light and last light are the best times of the day to get sightings. On one trip I saw no leopards, the next time I saw 7 different Leopard. The conservation here is second to none and there are research projects ongoing also. To get yourself in the mood of the experience you could find a book called My Life with Leopards by Fransje van Riel, a true story of a Ranger that fostered Leopard Cubs into the wild, an awesome read and not yet available in UK in hardback but you can find Kindle versions until you get to SA in the airport shops. I liked the place that much that I have enrolled on a research project for a month voluntary work.Once you have been you will get the bug andned to go back. The Drakensburg Mountains are only about 45 mins away and the scenery of Blyde River Canyon and the mountainsand Gods Window are amazing. Kruger Park is about the same distance and has plenty of sights to see and trips can be arranged. I found the best value through SAGA but that is age dependant on 50+. Don't miss out on this amazing country it has a lot to offer !!

Thi time I went back in August 2012 - different seasons - different nature - same staff

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank coppamick
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My wife and I recently had a wonderful experience staying at the Shuduli Game reserve. Over the course of the week we did see the big five, four at Shuduli. We spent a day at the Kruger where we saw leopard, hyena and African hunting dogs and others of the big five. Recently we saw a report in a South African newspaper where an elephant had turned over a car. This I believe is a very isolated and unusual case but it does show that these are wild animals and can be unpredictable.
We were extremely fortunate to have two very experienced people in Vessell and Stephen .They know these animals, and the threshold to which they can observe them, with safety. This is not to say that there is no risk, as you are warned at your initial briefing, but without some small levels of anxiety it would not be an African Safari.
Finally I would like to commend Saga on an excellent choice of Game Lodge where we enjoyed excellent food and accommodation provided by first class staff. During our stay there my wife turned sixty and she was not particularly keen for anybody else to know. However somehow this information got out and at dinner that night a fantastic birthday cake was produced accompanied by the Shuduli ladies singing happy birthday, she was overwhelmed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Peter W
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We arranged our trip through Saga and it was all inclusive - Saga's details indicated a watering hole but at present this is small and attracts little wildlife but this was the only down side. The main complex is attractive and very comfortable. The buffet style meals are delicious with plenty of variety. The bar is well stocked and nothing is too much trouble to the staff. There is a computer in the main lounge with free Internet access. Mobile reception is poor. The lodges are large and very comfortable and the gardens well kept despite the mischievous monkeys and baboons. And the game and bird spotting superlative (over 150 sorts of birds). We hadn't expected to get so close to the wildlife, especially in an open Landrover. Shiduli's policy of no more than two vehicles being close to the animals pays off and they are relaxed around humans, especially the elephants who wandered past pulling grass and reaching out to us with their trunks. Wonderful! We saw all the big five and four of the little five. Many thanks to Jen's organisation, Michael's tracking and especially Ranger Morris for giving us such exciting off roading!

Room Tip: (Fitness centre = swimming pool! Ticked in error) The air conditioning in some rooms can be annoyin...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Linda R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tzaneen
Hotel@Tzaneen
35 mi away
Palmwag Tzaneen
Palmwag Tzaneen
#2 of 14 in Tzaneen

Been to Shiduli Private Game Lodge? Share your experiences!