“Modern farmhouse set in magnificent gardens with stunning views”

Kings Walden Garden Manor
Ranked #2 of 15 Tzaneen B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The room was very spacious, comfortably furnished in a contemporary style with a fire place and nice touches like candles and vases of roses. It is a small hotel with 6 rooms. The bathroom was enormous with a large bath and shower. The gardens and the views are spectacular; having a drink at the pool or overlooking the valley was special. The staff were friendly, courteous and discreet.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is one of the place one has to visit to appreciate what total relaxation is.I had a wonderful time with the KWGM staff,from the owners,Minette & husband to the kitchen staff to Thabo & Uncle Sam,you guys rock.Thank you for the hospitality you showed to us.Another trip to Agatha Road Tzaneen is on the cards.

Charles & Abi

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Dengedza
Reviewed December 11, 2012

A very disappointing return to my favourite spot in the world, and had I not enjoyed the five-star experience Kings Walden offered years ago, I guess I wouldn't have known any better.

A few points of concern:
- Upon our arrival, there was no-one to receive us and when someone eventually did approach us, they didn't know about our visit

- We were super tired when we checked in, and just needed an afternoon nap to revive the spirits, but the staff were chattering away outside our rooms very loudly, to the point where one just couldn't fall asleep.

- Dinner was lovely, however the table-cloths were dirty from the previous meal's sitting

- Upon opening my room door, the handle fell off. It had obviously been that way for a while as the handle slid back onto the shaft with ease.

- We only met our hosts during dinner on the second day of our stay, and they were sipping drinks while on duty.

- Although the garden has been beautifully laid out, the agapanthas are completely taking over and the sanctuary that I always like returning to has become overgrown with these plants.

- Upon checking out, we were overcharged and had we not checked our bill, we would've been charged for an additional room.

All in all, compared to the standard that I had known Kings Walden for, the stay was very average.

Would I return? Perhaps.
Not for a stay though, but maybe for a drink and a visit to the garden to say good day to the place I've come to love so much.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MejMoot
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is an excellent accomodation, restaurant and property. The room was spacious, comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The fireplace and shower which I never wanted to leave were especially nice touches. Dinner was fantastic!! Really wonderful food in terms of quality, taste, and presentation. Breakfast was also excellent. The standout for me was the grounds. Wow, the gardens were incredibly beautiful! I really enjoyed meandering around, I only wish I would have more time and a clearer day as I think the view is also quite likely very stunning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2012

After our Sat Nav had taken us to Agatha Street instead of Agatha Road which is around 15 kilometers away we telephoned to get directions and Sophie offered to collect us and show us the way. When we eventually arrived we at the Kings Walden we had a warm welcome from Sophie and Steven, who have apparently only been managing the Hotel for the last two months our stay was for 1 night on our way to the Kruger Park. Steven checked us in and gave us a rundown of the evenings menu in some detail. It sounded very nice and we were not dissapointed, the food was of Michelin Star quality in both taste and presentation we were travelling with friends and we were all blown away with the food, location and service offered during our stay, just a pity it was only for the one night. I would recommend the Kings Walden without hesitation and next time would stay for longer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2012

My husband and I, and my sister-and-brother in law stayed at Kings Walden last weekend and had the most wonderful, relaxing, amazing stay.

Firstly, the website does not prepare you for how beautiful the grounds and views are at the guest house itself. A luscious panorama of mountains and trees and hills and valleys surround the guest house, so you have a permanent 360 degree view. The guest house itself is beautifully furnished in a modern, minimalistic but comfortable way and we had the best bed ever!

We had met the owners, Billy and Minette, before in our travels to the Okavango Delta, so it was such a treat to see them again and see how they have instilled their own style and passion into their guest house with a focus on excellent food, wonderful wines, relaxed ambience and world class service.

The staff are extremely friendly and we loved meeting Barney and Max, who were very professional and looked after us so well.

This is such a lovely romantic hideaway - I could have stayed for a lot longer than we did.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

What a pleasant surprise! Even though we arrived a little bit late for lunch, they prepared a wonderful fresh salad for us to enjoy with a nice glass of wine. The rooms in which we stayed were super, lots of room in a colonial setting with a fabulous batthroom. We enjoyed some time at the pool, where we were entertained by a group of monkeys. After freshening up, we enjoyed the spectaculair view with a nice bottle of South African champagne. Diner was just as great.
All in all a fantastic location. The people that managed the place for the last years are since the end of October also the owners. I wish them lots of success with their fantastic place.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tzaneen
Coach House Hotel & Spa
#4 of 15 in Tzaneen
Bramasole Luxury Guest House
Bramasole Luxury Guest House
#1 of 1 in Magoebaskloof

Been to Kings Walden Garden Manor? Share your experiences!