“Perfect”

Supertubes Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 49 Jeffreys Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 31, 2009

My partner and I stayed at the Supertubes on the last few days of our trip around South Africa. Jeffreys Bay is a wave I have dreamed off surfign for many years and to stay at the Supertubes was just perfect. The location and friendly service made our stay a memorable one and we will definetely stay here again. We had a nice room with a huge terrace facing the morning sun and surf. With just a few steps to Supertubes, the location could not have been better. I can understand that for someone not interested in surfing that staying here, with all the other "cool surfers" may not be optimal, but Jeffreys Bay has much more to offer than surf and you don't have to be a surfer to enjoy the fantastic location and friendlyness offered at Supertubes. We were very happy with the service and the good tip to try "The Restaurant", which is located just a few doors from Supertubes. Wonderful food and atmosphere. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Supertubes Guesthouse

Reviewed December 11, 2008

We only spent one night at Supertubes but I'm very glad that we chose it for our stop off in J Bay. We stayed in (I think) one of the larger rooms in the guesthouse and it was absolutely massive and very impressive. Great bed, very nice and big bathroom, all within a minutes walk of the stunning J Bay beach.

As it was out of (surf) season, we were able to walk along the beach for almost an hour and a half and only see a few other people but without a doubt it is a beautiful spot.

As for J Bay on a Saturday night out of season - an experience to say the least!! We ended up in Sovereign which was chocka with drunken blokes from the surrounding area brawling and leering, all bizarrely topped off with a really really good DJ playing house (you're wasted there mate!)

Back to the hotel - excellent really. Breakfast the next morning also very good and they were helpful and corteous.

Recommended as a stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2008

We selected Supertubes following the reviews below, but were a little disappointed.

The B&B has guidance as a 3* property, where as the guesthouse next door is a 4* property. We were in the B&B side - I was unaware they had both and given a choice I would have chosen the guesthouse side.

Our room was fair, it did have dark wood fitted wardrobes / dressing table which was a bit opressive, some effort had been made to balance this out though with pretty cushions on the bed and a nice upholstered chair. There were large patio doors that opened to a deck shared with 2 other rooms.

I was disappointed as the room we had looked nothing like the pictures on their website.

The bathroom was adequate but needed updating.

Breakfast was good, but not excellent. They don't serve tea in pots so you have to make it cup by cup with a tea bag which is frustrating when I drink lots of tea in the morning!!

To be fair, the weather was terrible when we were in JBay so we didn't have a fantastic time - if the weather was better I'm sure I wouldn't be moaning as much!

It's a reasonable choice for your trip to JBay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2008

We were a walk-in at this place, and the staff were lovely.

We had a decent room, bit small, but not too bad for a last minute arrival. There were shared kitchen services available.

Breakfast was really good. Area is right by the beach.

The staff were very helpful... the water was gone due to a burst pipe, but they arranged access to another place for us to have showers. They also helped me book a place the next night in another town.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2008

We stayed here for one night in August and it was lovely, right on the beach and central enough. The rooms were good and the one we had had a balcony overlooking the beach which was nice to be able to sit out on.
The breakfast was also very good. While we were there someone dug up a water pipe so we had no running water in the rooms but the staff the staff were very helpful and organised bathrooms in an adjoining property so we could take a shower.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2008

The name says it all ....
SUPERtubes guesthouse !
It is always a great and super pleasure to stay there !

Great food / SUPERB breakfast ....
Calm and relax - nothing more than you would like !
I've stayed many times and everytime is a different experience !

Great Place

Robson Machado
Brazil

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 27, 2008

Me and husband do a yearly trip down the coast for our "family vacation". As my partner is an eager surfer, a trip to the surf mecca Jeffreys Bay is always included.to my absolute boredom sometimes.What we wouldn't do for our partners!

Every year we stay at the Supertubes B&B as they came highly recommended.There is of course truth to this: The stay was always good, never spectacular, but always very good. Felt like we were at home!!

But this last stay a few weeks back was completely different, in both a good and surprisingly bad way.I just felt I had to bring this to the attention of both the owner and fellow travellers:
First the good: All I can say JOB WELL DONE! , what in improvement in the overall look, feel and management of the place.
The decor and quality of the B&B was definitely improved upon. One could clearly see the difference as the once-in-dire-need-of-replacing sometimes almost shabby furniture and rooms have been upgraded. And what a difference it makes! The B&B always felt like home, but at least now it feels like a person get what you pay for (as their prices are rather high in comparison with their competitors).

On to the staff:Well done to the owner for employing such fantastic people! They are the most helpful, sincere and friendly staff in the business if not in SA! It seemed as if they never slept! Anytime of night of day, our every wish or whim was seen to promptly,friendly,sincerely and without hesitation!

Unfortunately there is always a bad side to a story: one morning during breakfast I was appalled at the way the owner treated her staff!!
We were perfectly seen to with great care and hospitality as usual, when we all of a sudden heard a lady screaming a stream of profanities at the top of her lungs. As my Afrikaans isn't too good, I didn't catch the entire conversation, but I was shocked and disgusted at the words and insults obviously being directed at the kitchen staff. Shortly after a rather comically enraged lady (which we were previously introduced to as the owner) exited the kitchen!

All I can say is: Shame on you Madam! Have you no self-respect for yourself! I have never and hopefully will never see or hear an owner or even a manager speak to his/her staff like that! It is unheard of!!!Especially in "full view" of guests!
As we own a business, we know that staff look up to the owner for guidance and approval. As the owner you are entitled to lot of respect from your employees, but with such behaviour I am surprised you still have employees left to work for you at all!!

Please Madam, first of all as a lady and secondly as an owner of such a prestigious establishment, I urge you to treat both yourself and all of your fantastic staff with great respect!! You have the perfect staff, location, atmosphere, waves,EVERTHING to provide a wonderful stay for many future guests!

• Stayed: July 2008