Stone Olive Guest House
Savoy Hotel(Jeffreys Bay)
$77
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Thatchwood(Saint Francis Bay)(Great Value!)
$81
$68
Cape St Francis Resort(Cape St Francis)(Great Value!)
$67
$39
  • Pool
Oyster Bay Lodge(Oyster Bay)
$157
$145
$157
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
The Hub Boutique Hotel(Port Elizabeth)
$63
$58
$181
$150
$45
Travelocity
  • Pool
The King Edward Hotel(Port Elizabeth)
$47
$44
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe ownergreat view of the baylovely breakfastsmall poolminute drivefirst floornice place to staystayed one nightquiet arearooms are beautifulbeautiful placeperfect staygarden routeyogurtj bayolivesgeraldine
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were welcomed with a coffee which is always a good start. We found Stone Olive to be a very good standard guest house. Our upstairs bedroom was very comfortable with a balcony and superb views and nice bathroom. The house is in a quieter area across from a golf course and within easy (driving) distance of the main street of Jeffreys Bay. Good breakfast and nice pool/garden area. Very good value. We enjoyed our chats with Leoni. Secure parking was excellent.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in January 13 and were thoroughly impressed with the high standard offered by this guest house. The grounds and pool area are peaceful and private and immaculately maintained. Our room had a terrace/balcony that went full length of the building and had a view of the sea in the distance. Lovely spot for a drink. The room and bathroom with its freestanding bath were of a high standard of decor and facilities. The staff were friendly and helpful and we had wonderful freshly cooked breakfasts both days in the extremely pretty dining room. Would thoroughly recommend to anyone. This is definitely a 4* guest house believe us mini bar or no mini bar!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My wife and I were privileged to stay over at Stone Olive Guesthouse for 1 night in January 2013. What a beautiful venue!!! Besides being clean, neat & tidy, the decor was absolutely stunning! It was obvious that the owners (Leoni & Jan) paid careful attention to detail. Our room was perfect! We slept comfortably well & felt very relaxed the following morning. Breakfast was top notch. We would definitely consider staying there again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Geraldine greeted us, and showed us around the guest house. Our rooms were beautiful! The whole place is decorated to a very high standard. This is fantastic value for money. We had a great stay there.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I regret writing this review but I want my experience seen by fellow travelers. I also hope the owner will take this to heart and change the necessary to improve.

We are a young couple that travels a lot due to our careers. We love staying in guesthouses and mostly stay at 4-star establishments in South Africa.

Before I start with the negative, I want to mention the positives.

The building is beautiful. The small courtyard is really stunning and gives a nice atmosphere. The rooms are very nicely decorated overall and have easy access to the parking lot, courtyard / pool area as well as a small garden. The location is near the main surfing beach called "SuperTubes".

At arrival we were an hour or so early as we traveled quicker than expected. This actually turned out to be a good thing as the owner / manager arrived from her other full time job of being a teacher at a nearby school. She was not sure why we were there and seemed confused. We informed her that we have a booking for the next 2 nights and paid our deposit about 2 weeks prior. She looked in her booking sheet and noticed that she never made our booking. They had no other guests for the night so were obviously preparing for a quiet night without guests. She seemed a bit annoyed and only after we re-forwarded her the proof-of-payment e-mail, she checked us in and gave some advice on local restaurants. I decided to immediately make the full payment ( which I now regret ) for the 2 nights.

The guesthouse is rated 4 stars by the Tourism Grading Council of South Africa. On the outside it looks good, but the rooms seemed to be missing some vital 4-star items like a minibar / hairdryers etc..

Our first night went well with no problems or discomforts besides the very short bed. In the morning before breakfast, I took a shower only to notice the water going scorching hot and then cold all the time. I was quite annoyed but didn't think too much of it. When going to the breakfast lounge, I notice they were doing washing and that was what probably caused our shower water to be irregular. I am assuming the share the geysers that provide the warm water. The breakfast itself was pretty average but fine.

We asked the hostess Leoni if another couple ( friends of ours ) could visit us for a few hours later in the day and she agreed that this is fine. Other guesthouses don't have problems with this as it is good advertising for them. In the afternoon the couple arrived after checking in to their own accommodation establishment. As it was hot we decided to relax by the guest pool and sip some wine. The owner and her spouse walked past us a few times as they also live on site. They could have walked around the guest pool area as there are other walkways. They seemed irritated and we felt a bit uncomfortable. I asked for some ice as we don't have a minibar and she gave us some which was nice of her. Later as were soaking up the sun on the edge of the pool, my friend told her as she passed that she must please just mention if she needs him to move. She said ( in a very snotty tone ) that he must move when her other guests arrive. We felt very awkward by this comment and got the feeling as if we are imposing on her property. I mean this is a guesthouse with a guest pool and we as guests who are paying to stay here have to feel uncomfortable using the facilities???

When taking a shower that evening before we left to the family gathering that we came to attend, I realized that I cant shower unless I close my curtains on the garden side as anyone walking by would look straight in to the shower ( which has no bathroom door ). This irritated me because now I cant even have a private shower without having to close all doors and curtains.

As we returned to the guest house that night at about 23:10, our friends drove with us and had to pick up a bag they left in our room earlier. We stopped at the guesthouse and made the swop. The owner came storming outside saying "guests aren't really allowed, i just made an exception in your case". We told her that they are only picking up their bag and she replied by saying "well, I am just saying". This was all in that snotty tone again and aggressive at times. We were embarrassed in front of our friends. What kind of advertising is that to the public.

If I didn't pay for both nights already, I would have packed my car and left immediately due to the owners lack of respect and and quite frankly, her unacceptable rude behavior towards us, her paying guests.

After my scorching and ice cold shower game the next morning we left before breakfast as we couldn't stand being there any longer. We also decided to stay a third night and checked in another establishment.

Because of our age, I felt she thought she could treat us the way she liked. I think she would have been more composed if we were older, none the less, we were paying guests, who travel a lot and did not deserve to be treated this way.

She also admitted to over charging us..and has made no attempt to fix this. Her being the owner / manager of the guesthouse and have another full time job does not work. Being a teacher is a full time work and managing a guesthouse is almost more than a full time job. I think the lack of commitment and divided attention is what is causing the booking issues etc.

I really hope the owner actually reads this and I would really love a response. We wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Rather spend your money at a better and more welcoming guesthouse. There were no friendliness, no warmth and no manners - you would expect this from a "4-star" establishment.

Room Tip: Rooms are small and the bathrooms dont have a devider or door.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple