“Lunch on the beach”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Open Air Restaurant On Beach
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

Certainly not the cheapest of places, but then again the plater portions we found to be much more than what the intended 2 people can consume. We had the bread option for 3 people and a meat plater for 2. It was sufficient for the wife, myself and the 3 big kids. The food was excellent (best crocodile that I have had so far) and the setting perfect. Walking into a restaurant without shoes and feeling the sea sand under your feet while enjoying the perfect view over the sea - 10/10.

There are newer reviews for Die Walskipper

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Great location on the beach however very high priced serving mediocre or less food. Service was not real good, somewhat sloppy. The bread table a bit messy and did not appear to be attended to as some of the jam and pate bowels were empty. Seating is on benches which do not set well on the ground outside, boards rotted out and legs not even. Had to change two benches to get one that was in working order. Difficult to set properly as they really need to be replaced. Seems to be a hit and miss type of place. My fish was dried out with very small portions of sides. Not much attention to customer service or satisfaction.

1  Thank Dorvin S
Reviewed January 8, 2014

A unique experience right on the beach, literally. The tables and chairs are on the sandy beach and everything is done on a braai (barbecue).

If seafood is your thing this place is top drawer. They also have a selection of meat and chicken and there is freshly made homemade bread with jam, fish and liver pate freely available.

If you're vegetarian I think there is literally one choice. This is not the place for vegetarians.

As someone who is not that keen on seafood I was not overly impressed with the food but the rest of our party were impressed.

Its very expensive though, so for me, something to be tried once for the experience and then I'll eat elsewhere with lower cost and better choice for my tastes.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I strongly advice people to save themselves the embarrassment and AVOID this place!!! I live in London and brought my Australian boyfriend home for a family Holliday in SA. We arrived the 29th December at 11:25am, and saw a lot of waiters whom stood around and looked at us but no one bothered coming over to welcome us so we seated our selfs. After a few minutes of being starred at a matured woman stood at her booking station and with a raised voice asked if she can help us. Mortified that this woman couldn't even introduce herself nor be bothered coming over to our table I replied that we just want a quick drink, she shook her head and said no drinks tables allowed. I asked her what time she expect her first table and she said 11;45/12;00. I informed her that we will be out within 30mim as we have a busy day planned but we were refused. I was shocked that they couldn't accommodate us as the restaurant was empty and only one table outside were occupied by customers the rest all empty. I understand that restaurants don't allow drinks tables as they make more money on food tables but have a sign or at least let your waiters communicate to clients when they arrive and not wait until they seat themselves and have this rude woman be the face of your business. We stood up and left feeling embarrassed and being treated like scum we left.
I sent an email to Die Walskipper and raised my concerns and still haven't had a response from them which to me clearly states how they value customers.
Please take my word for it and go to Tapas Restaurant which is opposite Die Walskipper, the food is amazing and well priced, waiters are friendly and helpful and atmosphere is welcoming you may not have a first class view of the sea but believe me the yummy jam jars and prawns makes up for it

Nadia

4  Thank Nadia228
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We visited Die Walskipper on New Years evening and although the restaurant wasn't full at the time we had a waiter from hell. She was unfriendly, forgot some of our orders and totally ruined our whole beach dinner experience. We had our main course, which in my opinion if it wasn't for the location the meal itself was very average and at a high price, and left immediately. I still can't understand why owners/managers of restaurants employ waiters who cannot provide a good, friendly and welcoming service. We really envied the table next to us because they had a real vibrant and friendly waiter.

2  Thank Martin017