All reviewsfire pitjim kellybasketball courtnext yearbunk bedsocean frontpool areathe penthousethe entire staffwonderful hotelyear after yearthe entire hoteloff seasonpackage dealbreakfast and lunchmany yearsup to date
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I was very disappointed with this hotel. We paid $268 a night and left early because trying to sleep at all at this hotel is pretty hard. Our room was next to the ice machine which it seems that everyone in the hotel needed ice throughout the entire night. Maybe if the walls to the rooms were not paper thin it would not have been so bad. I had finally fallen asleep around 4 am and then was woken up around 6 from a 2yr old who was running up and down our hall way crying. At 8 am we were woken up again by something that sounded like train tracks were right next to our room.......it was the cleaning crew there for the morning. I'm all for a clean a hotel but when we came back to our room later in the evening with hopes of catching some zzzs since we did not get a good night sleep, was really annoyed when the cleaning crew then decided to vacuum our hallway around 7:30 pm. At this point I had enough....we packed our stuff, handed in the keys and left. The person at the desk did ask us if something was wrong, I explained what we were upset about and all he sadi to us was......he would let them know. Didn't even apologize or try to offer us another room. We will never go back.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank ebstr_95
Reviewed June 30, 2010

Wildwood Crest is DEFINITELY the spot to stay if you are looking for a relaxing-yet-fun Family-oriented vacation, and the Pan American met all of our wants and needs for our family reunion. I grew up in Pennsylvania and vacationed in Wildwood most years growing up, so for my parents 40th anniversary we decided to upgrade and stay right on the beach; my parents drove in from NE PA, my brother and his family of 4 (two boys ages 8 and 12) from Washington, DC, and my family of four (two boys ages 5 and 4) flew to Philadelphia from Memphis, TN.

I hadn't been to Wildwood in about 20 years and was SO HAPPY to find that not only did they keep it up, I think it looks better than it did when I used to go there. Everything was so freshly painted and clean.

We stayed in 3 different kinds of rooms: my parents stayed in an "A" room (Hotel room), which had a balcony facing the boardwalk. My family stayed in a "D" room, on the 4th floor with a view of the pool / beach (picture included). My brother's family stayed in a "C" room which honestly I'd recommend over the "D" room, and kinda wished we would have rented that room instead.

First I'll talk about the Amenities. I liked the indoor entry with the elevators, better than the typical Motel with exterior doors. I also liked the private balconies; many hotels in the area had shared balconies. The lounge area was very nice, and there was an extra room with sofas and tables and a TV for gatherings. The restaurant was okay, overpriced as you'd expect. My parents loved the breakfast, but we were disappointed that Cheddar Cheese on our omelet amounted to Cheese Wiz. Most days we just ate a light breakfast in our room. It was cool that there was a take-out window at the restaurant both in the pool area and on the street, so one day we sent one of our party to the window from the beach and he came back with hot dogs and chips for all of us. There was free Wi-Fi access at the pool, and because we were on the pool side we were able to use it in the room.

The pool was WONDERFUL! There was plenty of shade with the double-decker lounging area and lots of umbrellas, which my fair-skinned family desperately needs. The big circle shape seemed to give everybody more room. Nice touches included a jumping island / cement circle in the middle (my boys loved jumping from it) and a jumping platform from the edge by the lifeguard. There was a lifeguard, which I liked with my little ones. My little ones liked playing in the 1' pool and pretending they were in jail when they came upon the gate to the big pool.

Location: Location was FABULOUS. On one side, there is a baseball field, so you can watch the little-leaguers practice at night and you're not looking right into someone's room. On the other side, they are building a park with basketball hoops, and there is a playground which is awesome if you have little ones (it has a rock wall). Over the years Wildwood has become smart and put boardwalks halfway out the beach so you don't have to burn your feet heading across the wide beach to the ocean. There are multiple access points to the ocean. It is an easy walk to bike rentals and to the boardwalk; don't get tripped up by Google Maps; "blocks" in Wildwood Crest are only about 1 hotel wide. We took the tram car from the edge of the boardwalk almost every day to access the piers, but the boardwalk itself is only 2 miles long so if you're fit and like to walk, no problem! A cab from the Mariner's pier was only $10, which we used on one busy night where tram cars were impossible to come by. There are also multiple restaurants within walking distance; we ate at the Crusader restaurant (really delicious) and the Little Italy, which I would not recommend for romance but would for boisterous family gatherings.

Now the rooms: Room A was nice except the bathroom was VERY tiny. No bath, just a shower. You could easily bump into the sink if you're backing out from the toilet. The room itself was fine, a queen size bed and a tiny TV.

Room D was really pretty nice, there was a lot of walking space. The bathroom sink was in with the commode and shower, and had very little counter space which was a little annoying. The closet was transformed into a kitchenette; there was very little room for actually hanging clothes, but there were a lot of shelves to put snacks and other items, and a refrigerator, microwave, and a safe. It was nice to have the refrigerator for cold drinks and breakfast snacks. I really liked the bench in the room, which had slots under it for shoes; that way you could take your sandy shoes off right as you entered the room.

Room C was my favorite; although it was a sofa bed and a queen bed, the sofa bed was quite comfortable, there was a wall-mounted TV in the sofa-bed room, and the room had a wall that more-or-less divided the two rooms. The bathroom had a sink outside of the shower/commode area and a lot more counter space. There was a true kitchenette in this room with a few burners, and plates, a pan, and utensils, so you could make pancakes in the room if you'd like. The decor was very interesting; one wall in the sofa-bed room had a huge map of the NE United States!

My family has been to Cancun, St. Pete's Beach Fla, St. Maarten, and Pensacola, and I have to say we thought we got a great value at the Pan American. Don't expect to get a lot of Fine Cuisine in Wildwood but that's not what it's all about; it is a big carnival. If you have older kids who you trust staying out later and don't care about a beach view then I would stay in Wildwood; but Wildwood Crest is awesome for families, and the Pan American was a great choice for us. The only real minus is that the room walls are very thin, but there weren't a lot of loud people in the hotel when we were there (even with a soccer tournament in town) so it worked out fine for us.

1  Thank SheilaB01
Reviewed June 17, 2010

We just came back from the beach in NJ and had an awesome time. I was so nervous to find a nice hotel. We didn't want to make the trip all the way to NC to the beach so we decided to travel closer to Ohio and do the 8 hour trip to Jersey. I wanted a nice HOTEL not motel with a beach, kid's pool, boardwalk and good food.

My Mom, my sister and I took the kids and did a long girl's weekend. My 3 year old niece loved the pool. My nephews loved the beach. Soft white sand perfect for digging! My 14 year old loved the pool and getting some sun. The shops were great on the boardwalk. The amusement park was wonderful. Bring lots of money - you'll pay but it's worth it. Very clean and quiet at night.

The hotel was nice and clean. The rooms are SMALL but you can't beat the location on the beach and the five min walk to the boardwalk and the shops. There is even a train that runs back and forth that you can ride if you are "too tired" to make the walk .

All in all, I'd go back in a heartbeat. There wasn't really any great eating but you go there to be with the kids and have fun right? There are plenty of pizza, gyro, ice cream shops on the boardwalk. The Pan American has a nice eatery but again, you are going to pay alot. 80 dollars for breakfast for the seven of us!!! Stock up on eggs, pancake mix and lunch meat and fruit for breakfast and lunch. There is a fridge/stove top in the room. Acme is a five minute drive away!

1  Thank marykayz
Reviewed June 14, 2010

I normally stay in Wildwood the end of june into mid Aug. This time we went the first weekend of June. The hotel seemed as though it was getting ready for it's "real" customers over our weekend....almost as though it was a practice weekend. Pol was to open at 9, but we could not get in until 10:20 on the first day since the pool man didn't have it done. I even had to ask for towels to be put out, which is normally done. Another customer asked for the music to be turned on outside (normally is on). The coffee shop opened a tad late on the first day there as well. The rest of the trip had the pool nopen at 9:30 each day, towels supplied about the same time. To me, 9:00 pool opening means just that! Especially since it closes at a very early time of 7 PM in the summer. We also found a coughdrop on our floor when we first got into the room and one day we did not get shampoo. The coffee bar was under construction or being painted and when it was done, still no coffee bar which I could have really used! 2 sets of goggles were stolen from our beach chair and what sickens me the most is a few 14-15 year olds were actually lying ON our towels (face first) on our chairs and remained there even though I put my purse down next to the one pig's leg! My husband told them to move....then, they moved. Not only were there plenty of other chairs, but the "men" of this group that the kids belonged to all lined up in the pool, about 6 of them, and watched them writhe around on our towels as they drank their beers, and said nothing...what a group of pigs! I don't want shingles, possibly, or any other skin disease from some lowlife lying on my beach towel (my beach towel, not the hotels by the way). As a parent, I would NEVER allow my children to do that. They were probably the same brats who took my children's goggles as well. This isn't the hotel's fault, at all, but I hope the clientelle does not come to resemble this group. Anyway, I was a little disappointed that the hotel was doing a dry run on my weekend, and I also wish I had known the bball court was being replaced across the way. The ppl at the desk are wonderful. Esp. this one may who goes out of his way to make you feel good (I wish I had asked his name)! Would I recommend? I guess so this time,l but if it is the same next year I would not. We have been going to WWood Crest for 45 years, cmon Pan American, plz don't make me have to stay in one of those darn condos they are building all over.

1  Thank Jouxjoux
Reviewed September 14, 2009

My family and I my daughter is 7 stayed sept 4 thru the 7th . It was a good distance from the action but the beach was fantastic. The rooms were clean and comfortable and had small kitchettes.The staff was very warm and friendly i will go back next year. P.S the heated pool was great for kids after a day at the beach.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family