“Great Hotel Great food”
Review of Pan American Hotel

Pan American Hotel
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed July 31, 2009

We have stayed here before and we had a great stay yet again!! our room faced the pool and ocean and it was close to the boardwalk. I have been coming here for most of my life and we have stayed here or at The Port Royal there sister hotel and they are both worth the money.

Reviewed July 22, 2009

Although the room was clean I would stay away from this hotel. We had a hotel worker sawing wood under our balcony at 8:30 am waking up our whole family. This went on and off for an hour and when we spoke to the hotel manger she had the "don't bother me" attitude. The pool temp was 72 degrees which was way too cold for children. When I spoke to the manager again, same attitude. The next day I had to track down the GM, Mr [-] who, while I was explaining my problem, cut me off and told me the noise that woke us up was a motorcycle and treating me like a idiot, also claiming 72 degrees for pool water is sufficient .I emailed Mr [-], owner of the hotel and Wildwood Piers and I have not received a reply. Certainly no way to do business, especially in this economy. I would not recommend this hotel unless you don't want to be treated with dignity.

4  Thank jimbomoppin
Reviewed July 15, 2009

Like many other reviewers, I've been staying at the Pan American since I was a baby. I've watched the hotel grow and change over the years and, over all, I'm still very much in love with it. Instead of waxing nostalgic, though, let me break it down into useful bits of info:

-- Location, location, location: The Pan American is very close to the famous Wildwood boardwalk (three blocks, with a spacious bike path extending from the hotel all the way up to the boardwalk) and also looks out on the beach (which can be seen, more or less, from every balcony of every room in the building). Even the rooms overlooking the hotel parking lot still get a nice view of the park across the street, the bike path, and the beach. I personally enjoy watching the basketball games on the gorgeous court right across the way.

-- Classy and luxurious (IF you choose the right room!): Of all the hotels near the boardwalk, the Pan Am is the most gorgeous and up-scale. This is practically beyond the realm of debate. The pool is the most stunning part of the entire hotel, which is perfect since that's where we spend most of our time while on hotel property. The rooms are a different story, though. There are six different types of rooms, ranging from just under $200 a night during peak season to a little over $300, and there is a WORLD of difference amongst them. The two least expensive rooms, the Deja Blue and Summer Breeze, are ridiculously cramped to the point of insult. In fact, the Summer Breeze, which advertises a microwave and refrigerator, has them shoved in the closet, leaving you little room to actually store your clothing and suitcases except in the narrow walkway between the bed and the wall.

However, if you spend just a little more to get any of the Efficiency rooms, from the Sea Casa all the way up to the Ocean Serenade, you get truly beautiful rooms that make you feel like you're in the lap of luxury. If you're going to stay at a place like the Pan Am, you've got to splurge the extra $80 a night to get a decent room. The smaller models are absolutely not worth it.

- Service: It's an odd thing about the Pan Am. Nearly all the staff comes off as very cold and business-like at first. However, if you end up talking to any of them for more than thirty seconds, they become incredibly attentive and helpful. This has been my experience many times and with most staff members. I still have no explanation for it. I wish they could be friendlier up front, but I always get full cooperation and helpfulness when I ask for anything.

- Alosi's Bistro: Don't. Just don't. The Pan American's attached restaurant (which also has a short order window at the pool) is very expensive, very slow, and only mediocre in quality. We like to have breakfast there once or twice during our stay, but we'll never make the mistake of going there for lunch or dinner again. The fact that you'll almost never see anyone else in there after 12pm should be a sign right off the bat. And don't get me started on that short order window. $8.95 for a fresh fruit medley that consisted entirely of sub-par cut melon pieces, and they wouldn't even give me a cup of water to drink with it ("Sorry. That's our policy"). If you're hungry at the pool, wait 30 minutes, and the fresh fruit truck will come by (listen for the ringing of the triangle). The prices are a lot better, and the fruit is fresh and perfect for a hot summer day at the pool.

- Family friendly: This is the perfect environment for young kids. There's a great daycare for kids ages 5-12 offered throughout the day (I went through it as a kid and still remember the activities fondly), a wonderful kiddie pool that allows toys (they even send a staff member over to lend out pool toys during the peak hours of the day), and a family friendly climate. This is not the same for most hotels in Wild Wood, which attract a younger and often rowdier and/or racier crowd. No drunks, loud music, foul language, nor topless sun bathers here.

All in all, the Pan American is an ideal, family friendly, luxurious hotel in close proximity to everything worth doing in Wildwood. My only word of warning: Make sure you get an efficiency room unless you don't mind an extraordinarily cramped room and bathroom.

1  Thank shaxper20
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This hotel was clean and the staff was friendly but the room was very small. I had a 20 yr old, a 16 yr old and a 6 yr old and we had 1 very small bedroom with a queen bed and a stand up closet. And the other room was a living room/kitchen combo. that room had a pull out sofa and an end table. The kitchen area had a nice size tv mounted on the wall, a 2 burner electric stove, microwave, frige with freezer and everything you need to cook except the food of course. there was a coffee pot but they don't supply coffee, sugar or cream. when I called the desk, they said I had to go to the store, If I knew that ahead of time, I wouldn't have had a problem stopping on my way or bringing it from home, but I wasn't about to get back in my car and find a store. The very small balcony (too small for the 4 of us to sit out there together), faced a very crowded pool. You could either drive to a lot thats only feet from the piers which is $5.. Or there is a trolly/train type thing that stops to let people off and on the whole lengh of the pier, it does go down by the hotel but you may have to wait a long tike for it and it cost $2.50 per person, each way. I would suggest staying at one of the hotels right by the pier entrances. I paid $250.00 for 1 night. What Was I thinking?

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank Love2Vacation3
Reviewed June 22, 2009

This hotel is likely the "pick of the litter," meaning it's probably the best in the Crest, but not great in comparison to hotels in other places. My husband, 2-year-old son and I stayed here for 4 nights in a room I booked specifically because it had been renovated last year. We were very happy with the room's amenities: efficiency kitchen complete with nearly full-sized fridge, a microwave, and even dish soap (great for us because we brought our son's sippy cups and bowls); balcony overlooking the pool area and ocean; large bathroom; and just enough space for our "stuff." The per-night cost was also fine with us.

However, it was quite loud in the hotel: the walls were paper thin and we often heard people in other rooms. This is not the hotel's fault, per se, which is why I said this place is likely the best the Crest has to offer, but I wouldn't be happy if I was in a more luxurious location. The sliding doors to the balconies were heard throughout. The only thing that drowned out these noises was the air conditioner...which was also extremely noisy! The dial button to turn it on was so loud! Plus, even on "low," the room became bitter cold.

Also disappointing was the crib. When I originally made the reservation, I was told the cribs they offered were an added fee per night and were porta-cribs. That being said, I found Wildwood Crib Rental, who offered a full-size crib (like what we have at home) for the same per-night price. I happily booked that. When we checked into the hotel, the woman at the front desk (who mentioned she has kids of her own) said it was NOT a porta-crib and was, in fact, full size and that there was no charge (confusing!!). I canceled the order from the crib rental place. When we got to our room (a few hours later) there was the porta-crib I was originally told about. I wasn't happy about the discrepancy, but figured we'd try it out. PS: Our son would not sleep in it, so I'm glad I didn't pay anything either way. The plastic mattress cover was extremely noisy; every time he moved (we put him in it to play), it was annoying. He ended up sleeping on the bottom bunk with the crib pushed against the edge so he wouldn't fall out.

Oh, and the bathroom towels are horrible. Though they're very soft, they don't absorb anything! Bring your own if you can.

To sum up, the hotel is very clean and the staff very friendly. If you're looking for Ritz-Carlton-type accommodations, you won't find it here....but then again, Wildwood shouldn't be your choice location if that's what you're looking for. If we visit again, believe it or not, I would choose this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank JerseyGirl444
Reviewed May 25, 2009

My husband and I and our two young children, 7 & 5 year olds stayed just for one night, our mistake we did not stayed for the whole Memorial Weekend. The hotel rooms are very, very clean and nicely decorated, plasma TV's (no other hotel has this). Our room had bunk beds, kids loved it. Bathrooms were very clean, the staff was wonderfull and very helpful. I am definatley going back there. Thumbs uuuuupppppp!!!!! The best hotel in Wildwood!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Job, keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 26, 2008

I recently booked the Pan American Hotel for this coming Monday, Sept. 29, 2008 for 3 nights.
Today, I had to cancel our reservations due to the fact that my mom was rushed to the hospital.
I spoke to a woman who had no compassion and refused to give me back my $100. deposit...I even said just give me half of it....said their policy was no refund...
I am totall upset over this...I even asked her to put it towards another time and she refused me....this woman was cold as ice.
I even had our bags partially packed already to go there and stay....but guess what....I will never book this place again....
Policy or no policy, have some compassion.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Lower Township
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
#1 of 68 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Pan American Hotel? Share your experiences!