“Will not be back next year.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Singapore Motel

Singapore Motel
Ranked #63 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
NJ
“Will not be back next year.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

Our trip began with some huffyness as we waited in the lobby for our room to be ready. Finally we were given our room. We had walked away and come back to sit and wait. One of the grandchildren of the owner came in from the pool and told their mother who was in the back that there were people waiting and we heard her yell from teh back, "go tell someone else I have my job and my job is not the front desk, they can just wait." When we were given our room and were bringing our things in the owner came barging in looking around to see how the cleaning crew did. I wouldn't have minded so much if she would have knocked first. She critiqued how they did and yet it turns out her feeling "okay" about how they did ended up being the best it was cleaned the whole time we were there. The sheets were never changed which made for a very uncomfortable sleeping since you are at the beach, and the sand that was there on day one was there on day 4! The floor was never vacuumed. To save money we ate in with food we brought and a few crumbs of course were on the floor and so were some from the people before us. At one point my son dropped a toy off the bed and when I went to get it from under the bed I was horrified to see the food and other items that were under there. GROSS!
We only were given hand towels in our bathroom and it wasn't until we saw a cleaning kid with bath size towels did we realize that there were larger towels. My husband asked for bath towels and was given a snappy reply that "only the towels they remove are the ones they replace" he questioned if she was implying we stole them. She only responded witht he same statement. At that point he walked away I was ready to have them search our bags to prove we didn't steal their precious towels. It wasn't until our 3rd day that we actually got bath towels.
I hated that there was construction going on above us. I understand that it has to happen but really at 6am!?! What was the icing on the cake was one afternoon while my infant and husband were napping our door opened with one of the managers and the construction guy. When the manager saw I was sitting on the bed she closed the door quickly and said, "Oh they're in there" So I'd looooooooove to know why they were going to be coming into our room. Again No knock first!!
The pool while it was great that it was heated the children/grandchildren whomever they were of the owning family spent most of the day eating in or around the pool feeding the birds the chips. My favorite though was the chicken bone in the kiddie pool!! (glad it was our last day)

When we were leaving there was an argument between a group of teenage boys and the owner. I'm not sure what happened but it appeared to be handled quite unprofessionally. When the owner is telling the teen to wait because "he caused her enough grief" and screaming at him and name calling between them! I can expect that from a teenage boy but really from a grown buisness woman! I had to walk out of the office because I didn't want my child exposed to that! We overheard them calling the police as we walked to our car, glad we were on our way out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mish P
singaporemotelnj, Manager at Singapore Motel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I apologize for what happened to you.

Thank You for your critique.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Little Falls, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

After reading the negative reviews, I was a little nervous about staying here. I have gone to Wildwood pretty much every year of my life (35 years) and always thought the Singapore was really cool looking. The last 2 years we stayed in Seapoint but had stayed in the Villa Nova most of the years prior to that. We were assured by Pat that we would enjoy it.

We checked in on a Sunday which is a pretty busy day for all of the motels since a lot of people who stay for the weekend check out on Sundays. We had to wait a bit for our room, which I was expecting anyway. A few people on line in front of us seemed to have problems but nothing major and all of which were fixed by the gentleman at the desk (Mark?).
We had a bit of an issue with our reservation, which had nothing to do with The Singapore (my friend decided not to go so I gave her the money for the deposit and took her room so the reservation was under a different name and the credit card deposit was her card).
Even with that confusion, I had no problem checking in, got the exact room I booked and Pat and Mark were very friendly. I did notice that the outside needed to be updated but our room was clean. There was some food left in our fridge which kind of annoyed me but it was taken care of right away by Pat. I was a little dissapointed at first that the wifi did not reach our room but I didn't even take my tablet out to use it, so to me, it was not a big deal after all.

It is obviously not the same as staying in Seapoint, but it was no different than staying at the Villa Nova. We had a great time. We got a decent room at a great price and had a wonderful view of the beach and the pool.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
singaporemotelnj, Manager at Singapore Motel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you so much. I hope to see you next summer.
The Singapore wireless network was a temporary set up for this summer, our first year having wireless. Next summer the complete system will be in place.

Thanks Again.
NJ
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Reserved a room at the Singapore Motel for Labor Day on 8/12 w/ cc. Called later on 8/12 to cancel reservation. I was told, "no worries, the cc would not be charged" Cc was charged immediately. Clerk later claimed their website says that you are responsible to pay for any cancellation less than 30 days. Never heard of this. Contesting the $179 charge.

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank NJART
singaporemotelnj, Manager at Singapore Motel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
I apologize if we were not clear. On the web site there is stated a no refund policy for any cancellation within 14 days of arrival date, and any cancellation before 15 days of arrival will be charged 50% of the deposit. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Union City, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

My family and I have been going to Wildwood for more than 10 years now. About 6 of those years we've stayed at the Singapore Motel. We love it. It's affordable and enjoyable. The staff, especially Patty, are friendly and great people. We've never had any problems, and although the rooms aren't perhaps 5 stars, they are not the worse. The location is just perfect, steps away from the beach. Like most of the past years, this weekend I will be going there again, and I'm looking forward to it.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wonderful words. We are very happy that you continue come back.

Thanks Again.
Bartonsville, Pa.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

I stayed a week at this lovely beachfront motel week of 7/30 - 8/5
I must say first, that the bad reviews I have read here, must have been written by folks with a bone to pick, or those who thought they were staying at the Plaza Hotel.

I was greeted by the general manager Pat, who I found engaging and down to earth. I was looking for a room to sleep 5 comfortably that had a full kitchen. I was shown three rooms all pool side with great ocean / beach views. All three were clean and spacious. We decided on a room on level 2 which overlooked the pool. We found to be clean, comfortable and functional.

Our room had a King size bed & Queen Size bed in our front room plus another full size bed in the back bedroom. Our bathroom was clean and stocked for four, getting additional towels etc for our additional child was not a problem at all.

The Singapore's grounds are well kept with numerous grills for cooking, both charcoal and gas.
Their pool is quite large and well maintained. The best part of our stay was being able to swim with our children at 10PM or 11PM as long as we were quiet and courteous to other guests.

If you're looking for the best price for a beach front motel, with owners who don't micro manage, close their pool at 7PM and just want you to enjoy your time with them, then the Singapore is for you. If you're the type that sits out side your room all day and has to spent time catching up on your soaps, then why not stay inland with your complaints and leave these great rooms for the true beach lovers and their families.

Best to all our fellow beach goers!
The Neuweiler Family

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much. Hope to see you summer of 2013.
Reading, Pennsylvania, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

we were scheduled from monday the 6th of august until that friday. we left on thursday afternoon I would have left sooner if we would have been refunded a night. we asked for ocean view and a king size bed, we get there and are given the smallest room on the planet with two double beds overlooking the parking lot and it's an adjoining room. my husband goes and complains and they say we haven't paid for the upgrade etc, but eventually we are moved to an efficiency (which we did not need or ask for) overlooking the ocean. It smelled and things didn't work properly, those great french doors are the main doors into the room and in my opinion not very private. on wednesday of our trip the lady who lives there ask when we are leaving because she needs the efficiancy. I tell her she can have it if she comps us a night, that doesn't fly. long story short our last day there we had the pleasure of the maid spying/listening at the door! we could she her shadow there, when we asked her what she wanted she said to clean the room this was at 8:45 am! did not go on vacation the be spied on! staff is rude and incompitant and when you work so hard for your money this is the last place you want to spend it. and oh there is a 5% charge if you pay by credit card, who doesn't.

Room Tip: there is no hope for this place in my opinion, the day i got there i wanted to leave.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
We apologize for your inconvenience.
Scranton, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Please read.

Normally I do not take the time to write a review, but I decided to for this motel because this has been the worst experience Ive had in 10 years staying at places all over the east coast.

1st- while trying to plan a trip, I called the motel despite some of the bad reviews I read. The lady told me 199$ per night and was extremely rude and told me they were closing and to call back the next day. I called back the next day. The lady told me the same room is 225$ and that it's "like plane tickets, the rooms are in demand". I argued and said not fair bc they told me 199$ and basically pushed me off th phone. At this point I was AlreadLy annoyed and turned off by the way she was treating me.

2nd- on the way to check in, I was traveling with 3 others about 4 hours. I called prior (TWICE) to make sure that it was okay that I checked In later between 9-11. Both times I called the lady said "sure no problem we will be here!" .. On my way down driving about 630 I got a call from the motel. "Where are you? Are you coming tonight?" I replied "yes.. I called twice to make sure this was okay that we checked In later". The lady replied "well the lady on the ealier shift is gone and doesn't communicate with me" .. About 2 hours later around 830 I get another call " where are you? You said you're on your way, how much longer?" I replied about "1.5 hours we are still traveling? I said we were checking In later? " ... Then it's about 930... The motel calls me AGAIN .. " are you coming or what?" I said "yes we're on our way about 30 min, I don't understand why this is a problem?" the lady replies " well were closing the office at 10 whether you are here or not" . At this point I'm freaking out. The driver begins to drive a little faster, it wAs a huge buzz kill.. We're going on vacation and were all freaking out because they are going to close the office on us after I made prior arrangements to check in later, and drove 4 hours. So it becomes 950 and were still about 25 minutes away because we hit rain and traffic. And I called back and said sorry were going to be there about 1015 and the lady was confused and said that's fine well be here for a while! And I said " excuse me , someone called me and told me the office is closing at 10". Then I can hear the lady In the background talking to another lady "did u tell someone we were closing at 10" and then the lady said " ya let me talk to her" . The the original lady got on the phone with me and said "you've been saying youre going to be here all night, where are you?" So we were 15 minutes away. I get there and the lady is like " FINALLY" ......

First of all I called to make sure it was okay to check in when we did, the
Lady basically harassed me during my travels, and lied to me to tell me the office was closing to make sure I really was on my way because she was probably trying to Give my room away. So I was so stressed out traveling for no reason. On my vacation.

3rd- blood on two out of the three comforters in the rooms

4th- I went in the office maybe three times to get more towels, wifi password,etc. and every time I was in there, there was a guest complaining or something was wrong. Such as.. Someone went to check in and the people In the room who were supposed to check out at 10 a, we're still there at 6 pm.

The location is very nice and that's about it. I did have a nice Time staying there because we made the best of what we could. The maids were very nice, but the office staff was just plain ignorant.

I would really look for somewhere else to stay before giving these ignorant people business.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
singaporemotelnj, Manager at Singapore Motel, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
I apologize for the office staff mistakes and confusion for all too many calls.
Yes, are normal office hours until 10:00 pm but we are usually here later,especially on request.
I'm glade that in the end you had a nice stay. Again I apologize for any inconvenience.