“All Downhill !!!”

Singapore Motel
Ranked #64 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Wayne, NJ
Reviewed July 10, 2003

Had stayed there for years. While the place was getting rundown, the management made it seem acceptable. The new owners so alienated us, that we promptly sought out new place for the next year. They lost out on 3 families going down yearly. 8:30 at night, and we still didn't have clean towels yet. Rudeness from the owners and entire staff. A sin they way they treated the guests. All the regulars we spoke to had the same opinion. Never, give them your money - you'll regret it!!!

Elmwood Park, NJ
Reviewed July 8, 2003

This is by far the most disgusting place we've ever encountered.
Wildwood Crest is a great place and there are numerous great places to stay; regretably, we decided to try someplace new. The AC leaked and the carpet was soaked, there was an actual hole the size of a soccer ball underneath the sink in the bathroom; plaster and wire mesh hanging out. Inadequate lighting/fixtures in the bathroom. You could only take a shower, not run water into the tub - the fixture was missing. The hot water would not shut off. The room smelled like smoke. The blinds would not close so anyone walking by our oceanfront room could look right in.
I blew two fuses trying to blow dry my hair. Kids would walk off the beach, take a dip in the pool and leave - they were not staying at the hotel, but management does not oversee the pool area (or any area for that matter). The smoky BBQ was going constantly; loud parties at nite.
Inadequate parking. My husband had to sit in the car for 20 minutes to wait for a parking spot. The woman at the front desk was rude, condescending, unconcerned and did not address any of our problems other than to say she could rent the room to someone else immediately if we wanted to leave. DONT GO!!! You'll regret it surely. I wish I'd seen these reviews before we spent our weekend from you know where.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Mt.Holly, NJ
Reviewed July 6, 2003

I arrived on the 4th of July and was blown away by what I saw. After not seeing the Crest since I worked there as a police officer over 20 years ago, I was expecting some changes. However I wasn't prepared for this devastation. It was $177 a night for an "Ocean Front" room (overlooking a dumpy pool with noisy, smoky BBQ's going on). The only parking space available was one wide enough for a bicycle, NOT a car!
Then, like the most of the other reviews on here mention, I had the "pleasure" of dealing with MiMi.. HAHA (what am I laughing at??) This woman with an attitude gave me the key so I could check out the room before I decided to stay that night (because I had READ THESE OTHER REVIEWS before going). GOOD THING I DID. This "deluxe" room #400 was the size of a walk in closet. The air conditioning didn't work & was noisy. Room was dirty and moldy. Refrigerator didn't work. And before I could check out anything else, MiMi made a surprise visit to ask if I was going to take it because "if I was I had to come down and pay for it, because others were willing to pay DOUBLE the rate I was for it!" .... yeah right. She just didn't like a smart customer (who can get an attitude as cocky as hers). Well, I played it smart and took my $177 deposit back. I didn't realize it until later, that she had kept the hotel tax that I had been charged for (@$18). That night (and the next) at a distant Radisson hotel was like a dream, where I thought of the nightmare I almost experienced. BELIEVE THESE REVIEWS!!! DONT stay here - sleep in your car or on the beach (until the Crest Police tell you to move on that is!) ; )

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 29, 2003

I took a group of 16 to the Singapore ( 4 rooms. I found the that staff was very helpful and accomadating. The hotel was clean, and the staff worked very hard to keep it clean each day. It appeared that the owners were replacing mattesses, and furniture. No complaints. It is an older hotel and there were some things that need attention, but if you are looking for a beach front hotel at a reasonable price and this is a good place.

Hillsdale, NJ
Reviewed June 16, 2003

We "stayed" at the SM a few years ago (1999?).... the most disgusting place on earth!! And, I can't believe after all this time, they are still in business getting the worst reviews!!!! I thought for sure they were history!!When we arrived, the frig was filthy, inside and out, the sink was disgusting, the carpet had caked on dirt, in the "kitchenette" area, there was broken tile along the border of the "dining area" (waiting to claim the next victim). AC didn't work. After unsuccessfully finding any immediate vacancies in the area, we reluctantly asked "management" to move us to another room. After much rudeness and debate, they moved us to an "upgraded" suite, which "appeared to be more presentable". Of course, later we found FILTHY sheets, hazardous light switches, a bathroom sink that barely worked, a shower with rot -- Ugghhhh! Unfortunately, we didn't find these things until we needed to use them. GROSS!While we checked out after 2 days from hell because it was so depressing, we encountered more bad news! Since the Singapore's policy was to charge the balance of the room for the week upon check-in, they refused to refund us any money. A policy that management, at check-in time, indicated was "usual" for Wildwood Crest. While we weren't thrilled, for all we knew, it could have been "the norm" for a shore town. We should have known right then and there, that was a sign of things to come. Because of that policy, and their stated cancellation policy, we lost our full week's payment...even after trying to dispute the charges for the unused nights with our credit card company.FYI...while checking out, not only was management rude and condescending, but they threatened that they had our address too!!Finally, we ended up at the Port Royal Hotel. What a refreshing sight that was! Even though we had to move to another room after our first night there, we felt that was nothing compared to what we were confronted with at the the Singapore!!!!!PLEASE NOTE: We complained to the Chamber of Commerce, who indicated they've heard previous complaints, but could not do anything about them. We complained to the Better Business Bureau, but that didn't do any good. We also were told by some local people that the Singapore has a terrible reputation, and no one can believe how or why they are still in business.I'm so surprised, and saddened, to see that they are still doing business. They must be stopped!!

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member