“OK place to stay”

Ranked #60 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Pennsylvania
“OK place to stay”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We have stayed here several times before and its ok! They do charge a 5% convenience charge for using a credit card etc, which I really didn't care for, so beware of that because I didn't notice the little sign til after I paid and they never said anything. The pool is nice and the hot tub and there is a view of the ocean! They have some parking underneath the hotel and they couldnt tell us how tall it was and the man and woman kind of contradicted each other. And the day we were checking out it was like 10 minutes 10 and we were watching tv and getting ready to leave and saw a lady peaking into the window of the room and then a few minutes later a guy practically did the same thing...believe it was the maid etc but still didn't like that and you have to return the key to the front office so they should know if were still in our rooms or not and not peek inside of the window which i found to be weird..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank h0ckeygirl36
royalhawaiian, General Manager at Royal Hawaiian Beachfront Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2015
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us we will look into your concerns.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Philly
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed May 18-20,2013 which was a chilly weekend, so did not even go to the beach, This is a nicely kept retro hotel, good view of the ocean, with a pool (too cold this weekend) and a "hot tub" which was a nice alternative. It's not really a hot tub, it's like a kiddie pool you walk into via a ramp, with a little waterfall you can sit under. Unusual and charming, with room for at least 15-20 people (but it was just us two when we went). They have a game room and other facilities we didn't use. The desk folks were a little off, didn't seem too pleased to serve. They weren't mean or anything, just kind of matter of fact and marginally helpful. (recommended Yellow Cab which was a rip-off at $22 for a 4 mile ride to N Wildwood, picking up 2 other passengers on the way!?!)

Room was in good condition, had a small fridge, decent shower, a little table with chairs by the bay window, flat screen - all very comfortable basic amenities. There was no filter for the coffee maker, and the room could be staffed with better cups - a few plastic utensils even would have been nice.

I would go again though, if the rates did not climb so high in the summer weekends, but that;s true everywhere I suppose.

Roof deck was not open; snack bar was not open - Fitness room was a small room with a few treadmills, and not open. Oh, and the cool round room at the top center that is the centerpiece of the hotel is apparently a private residence. This was most disappointing, as that feature is perhaps the most interesting part of the place, and would make a great restaurant or even a top-rented suite.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pivoted to have a view of the ocean, but perhaps not so good on the first floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bjc2150
Thank you for your comments, we are glad you enjoyed your stay.
Bronx, New York, United States
Reviewed June 2, 2013

My family and I have stayed this motel several times. I love the family atmosphere. Most of The room has been upgraded with flat screen tv. The rooms are roomy and the staff Les , Sis and Peggy are awesome. I start working on this trip in January and have booked up to 30 rooms. I'm constantly communicating with Les via telephone and email and he is always very pleasant. This year the weather sucked the children still wanted to utilize the pool they staff was nice enough to heat the pool up. They added an extra grill this year giving them a total of 4 grills on the premise. Morey's pier is a nice walk away but stop at the few parks on the way.

Room Tip: I'd you would like to over look the pool pick the B room a little more pricey but well worth it...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Katrina S
Thank you for your review we are glad you enjoy your stay.
State Line, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have been going to wildwood sense I was born and have stayed at other hotels and it was horrible freezing pools and dirty rooms no air conditioner . But The Royal Hawaiian is great love the owners always nice my family and I have been staying at this hotel for at least 8 years and will never go to another hotel . My kids love the pool my mom loves the hot tub and the play room is great if there is bad weather. I love every thing yes the parking is tight but so what unload everyone berfore you park. We find it funny to park like its a chalange . Nothing is perfect but This is pretty close. My parents stay as well and we love it and look forward to staying here every year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Maria G
Thank you for your comments and are happy you enjoyed your stay.
Shiloh, IL
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have stayed in Wildwood Crest many times since I was a child and this was a return trip to celebrate my 40th with my children. It was my first time staying at this property. We had a beach front facing room. The room was spacious enough and was clean upon arrival. I will say it was a hassle bringing luggage carts up the elevator and then struggling to get down the exterior corridor all the way down and around to the beachfront room door. This hotel has a nice pool -- this was peak season so it was very busy and the pool/bbq area was busy and at times crowded. I did not feel the hotel owners/management were friendly at all. Overall our stay was fine and we had a nice time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments, we will look into the problems.
Troy, New York
Reviewed December 27, 2012

If you're looking for basic furnishings that can accommodate the whole family
with a kitchen too – try the Royal Hawaiian.

There is a huge hot tub (with cascading waterfall),
heated pool (with island and palm trees) and t
he Mile Wide Beach all right outside your door.

Beds are comfy,
pull out sofas aren't.

For us =
It's all about being near the water,
and the good folks at The Hawaiian have that
all set up for us!

We come back every year :-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments, we are glad you enjoy your stay.
Collegeville, PA
Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Royal Hawaiian has a lot of good things going for it so I almost gave it a "Very good" and it is very good compared to other Wildwood Crest choices so keep that in mind when picking--they really are all old places that can't change or be renovated to be much better than what they are. Here's the good: It is right on the beach the pool is nice and heated. They have a nice outdoor deck with grills for people to use and it's at a nice area in Wildwood Crest. The average stuff is tight small bathrooms beds are average and if you are staying in the rooms with the sofabeds these are really saggy and your back will hate you in the morning. It is a cool hotel for what it is.
That's the honest truth and I will probably stay here again next year. It is a cut above the rest but it's no perfect sleepa -- so if you like the Royale with Cheese in life once in a while then you'll be okay with this Royale with Wildwood Cheese for a weekend.

Room Tip: I think this place is average and okay for a weekend but not any longer.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family