“Been Going Here For Years”

Royal Hawaiian Beachfront Resort
Ranked #61 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed July 16, 2011

My family and I have stayed at the Royal Hawaiian probably 10 different times. This year we noticed remodeling had occurred and were really happy with the changes. This hotel is my favorite in Wildwood. The location is perfect and we never had a problem with the staff. The rooms are always very very clean. The pool and hot tub are so nice. Compared to other places I've stayed at in Wildwood and Wildwood Crest, Royal Hawaiian beats them all!

2  Thank beaches911

Reviewed July 11, 2011

As seems to be the norm in Wildwood Crest, the hotel is old with little updating other than the pool, hot tub area. The pool and hot tub are shut down early. The lights in the walkways are turned out somewhere around 11 leaving dark walkways littered with chairs to get to your room.

The help is not friendly...the night witch ahhhh yes the night witch and her flashlight. She has no personality as the other reviewer says.

We would not go back here although our experience was ok. I traveled with a personal who has a mobility disability and we reserved a first floor poolside room so that he would not have to walk far to reach the facilities. Our room wasgiven away to someone else...we were told we were getting a better room...4th floor...we got the exact same room we booked only on the fourth floor with more walking. When we brought up that we had a confirmed reservation for 1st floor, poolside we were told we were given a room that costs twice as much..in other words we owed them for giving away our room.

That being said the housekeeping staff is not attentive, leaving trash behind in the room. Room was clean when we arrived, hot water worked etc. Other than that, We will find a friendlier group of people to share our money with next trip!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oliver831
royalhawaiian, Manager at Royal Hawaiian Beachfront Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2011

The pool and hot tub is open till 8:00 PM, also on Wednesday and Saturday they are open till 10:00 PM.
The lights are on till 1:00Am then the night lights come on which has ample light to see where you are going. We never confirm a floor only the style of room and if you are Oceanfront it is the same amount of walking from the elevator or the lobby.

Reviewed July 6, 2011

We are currently staying at the Royal Hawaiian...not all that bad...rooms do need some brightening up and some decorating to feel more like at home! I did meet the Night Witch...haha...she isn't a witch...just has no personality! She told us that the hot tub was closing, but I had a hard time understanding her because she was so quiet and talked with no emotion at all. A person with more personality would make the place more pleasant, but not so bad so far.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2011

We spent a week at the Royal Hawaiian in Wildwood. Comprised of two adults and one child we set off noting the reviews of the resort from Trip Advisor. Have passed this resort many times as I prefer to stay in Wildwood Crest, so I was so excited to finally book a stay here. First of let me say that the rooms are very nice, better than what I expected. The pool is probably the best in Wildwood. It goes from 3 feet up to 11 feet with a small island in the middle and at the deeper end a small waterfall. The pool is also much larger than what I originally thought. Loved it. Plenty of lounging chairs. Beach access right off the pool deck. The resort overall is excellent. Remember your vacationing in Wildwood which has its own charm and it a sea shore resort. To compare any resort or motel to a room at a Marriott is asinine.
Here is the one and only dilemma, the front desk. Upon checking in I advised them I had one less adult as the third one was unable to make it. The balance was never adjusted. I didn't bring it up at that time giving the woman whom checked us in the benefit of the doubt, believing perhaps she had not charged us for the other adult in the first place. When I got home I realized the third adult was in fact charged. Even so the cost was not that large, it was just the fact she did not want to take the time. At one point when I asked to buy laundry detergent I was told abruptly how much it was and when the laundry room closed. I did feel as if I was inconveniencing them. There was no smile upon check in or thank you upon check out. Customer Service is very big to me as I am in the travel industry. I have sent people to the resort before, the last one checking out the day I arrived. This leaves me in a quandary when recommending the resort or returning to it. A smile goes a long way even if you're not a "people person".
The truth be told I don't think they need to have excellent or even good customer service. They seem to thrive on what the resort itself offers. I am very disappointed at the customer service provided and question what assistance would have been provided it I had any kind of a problem. I have thought long and very carefully before posting this review as I do truly believe it can be an incredible resort in every area.

5  Thank gina1121
Reviewed July 2, 2011

My daughter and I stayed two nights at the Royal Hawaiian. I grew up in the area and wanted to go back for a visit. Our room was great. Had a nice kitchen, full refrigerator and everything we needed. Very roomy and comfortable. Decor typical for Jersey shore. Everything was clean. Convenient location. AC worked great. Definitely would go back and recommend to others. Next time I will try to book earlier to get an oceanfront though we did have a nice view from the side.

1  Thank Beanas4
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and our children just returned yesterday from a weekend stay at the Royal Hawaiian and in short, we really enjoyed it. I did read the reviews prior to going and was a little leery, but for the price, we decided to check it out! The staff was friendly, although we never had much reason to interact with them other than to check in and out, as everything as in working order and up to our expectations. I never encountered a "night witch". The showers were clean, hot and water pressure was FINE! I'm not sure if some reviews like to have their bodies power washed...but I didnt have an issue with the water pressure or the temperature and we had 8 children traveling with us, and we showered often and at different times of the day, and it was always the same. The rooms were very clean, especially the bathrooms that looked to have very new tub enclosures and floors, unless they just clean them immaculately. I dont know what odor people are talking about, unless theyre talking about hotel smell.......Our view of the ocean was lovely, and we could even see the bay on the other side too. The pool was amazing, the kiddie pool my kids loved, and the hot tub was just awesome. The grills and eating area near them were great and we even grilled on them one night and were able to eat right by the pool which the kids loved. The walk to the beach was so much closer than even some hotels jsut a few blocks away, from my balcony, I could see my husband and children playing in the ocean. I was very pleased with this hotel and am glad I took the chance despite the awful reviews, and I hope others will do the same!

Room Tip: stayed in a
4  Thank TravelingMamaof8
Reviewed September 14, 2010

Came here without reservations. Got a large efficiency room with a living room, fridge, microwave, bedroom two tvs, one flatscreen. Great pool area with large hot tub spa and kiddie pool. My experience in Wildwood has been no rooms are award winning and we come here for beach and location. Bathroom floor needs new tile and room has that beachy, musty aroma. Overall, not terrible and we may stay here again, but hotel snobs be forewarned, you are not in Wildwood for the accomodations. Front desk staff was friendly, there are lots of different room configurations to satisfy everyone. They allow small dogs in some rooms. Right on beach, super convenient. Has a coffee shop and gift shop during high season. Separate game room on premises.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple