“Excellent as always!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Commander-By-The-Sea-Motel
Ranked #28 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Again a beautiful trip for my family we just came back from!! Excellent room, people, place! We meant soo many nice people that are regulars every year here too and it was such a nice time!! This is our fifth year and my daughter loves Mr. Bill, Ms. Polly and Miss Suzanne and can't wait each year to come!! Miss Cheryl is the best too! It's a tradition to spend Labor Day every year now here! Can't wait to go back then!! Thank you Commander!!

Room Tip: First and second floor are great-
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Don't hesitate to book your Wildwood Crest vacation stay at the Commander By The Sea. While nothing fancy, the rooms are clean and bright and nicely appointed. Everyone is pleasant, helpful and inviting. They have grills for cooking out and plenty of tables to enjoy your meals outside. The rooms are just a few steps from the beach and when you are done with the beach they have a great pool. My only complaint would be about the large groups/families that take over the outside space without leaving a few tables for those of us in small (2 people) groups and during those times we didn't feel comfortable being outside. Overall, the Commander is a great place and we will be going back next year.

Room Tip: Book early in the year. There is no elevator so if you can't walk the stairs you'll need t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Wow, we just sort of picked this place based on a local referral service, a last minute arrangement just to have a base to visit the area for 2 days. I'm from NJ, used to vacation further north at the shore in Lavallette; never been to Wildwood or Cape May.
This is an unassuming 3 story stucco motel right on the beach on East Pittsburgh Avenue.
The thing that makes this unique is that it is well run, Suzanne the owner is very personable and you can tell takes pride in the way this place looks and is run. It's sort of old school, our room was about $110 and had 2 queens, bathroom, a/c, plasma TV, and a sitting room with 2 huge windows looking out at next hotel and beach.
Everything worked.
Everything was spotless.
Tile in bathroom - pink! with stucco walls - was in excellent condition; shower worked great, as nice or nicer than many name hotels; a/c worked fine; linens were clean, towels had no holes, shower curtain was clean, one of the few places I've ever been where I felt the carpet was clean enough to walk on barefoot. Lots of families there, busy but not obnoxiously raucous; families playing corn toss in parking lot, local parking (drive a compact; the spaces are tight); location is right on the beach, pool, 2 decks with chaise lounges and PVC chairs, very well kept. No restaurant on site. Not noisy at all; slept well. Suzanne was a wealth of local information.
I don't know if we'll ever go back to Wildwood Crest, but I can tell you this was as relaxing, pleasant and well run as any mid to high end hotel i've ever been to, so kudos to them.

Room Tip: any; recommend 2nd or 3rd floor to get a better view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chimayred
Reviewed June 29, 2014

As Lcarlotta stated he is a police officer so my guess is he is a little more paranoid and on-guard regarding his surroundings than the rest of us. And that is fine and understandable. I hope he reads this because this is a sincere,accurate response from a longtime Commander patron.

I have been going here for 10 years. I stay here 5 to 7 times a summer totaling at least 25 days.
I see it all summer long. I would say I have stayed here at least 50 times.

There is nothing creepy about anyone who works here. In fact, they are all so good they could work elsewhere but they choose to stay here. Many have worked here over 15 years.
For many years I came down with my daughter who was 11 when we started coming down. This is the only place I have felt comfortable allowing her to roam free without me. She is now nearly 22 and comes down with friends while I am here. That says something when a 21 year old wants to return to the CREST. The CREST is generally not where the young and hip want to hang out. So it says she feels comfortable here.

I'd rather have sand washed off me then in my bed at night. If anyone finds the fact they spray your feet off an uncomfortable situation then just say something! Or grab the hose and say you'll do it yourself. I am sure that would do the trick. These guys stand UNDER the deck to stay out of the hot sun. Most people are only down a week at a time so imagine what it would be like to be working outdoors in hot humid weather in the sun, ALL summer long. That's why they stand under the deck.Not to be creepy but to get OUT OF THE SUN.

I've stayed all over and yes Ive tried other places but I always come back here. Always!

JUNE 2014 Acquaintances of mine stayed at a crappy North Wildwood motel for a week because it was cheaper!!!!. I wouldn't stay there cause it's old, dingy and junky. I stayed at the Commander and took the 20 minute ride up to see them daily.

I am not the only person happy with this motel. Check the reviews. This is a Happy place where you can enjoy fresh, clean air. Clean rooms, nice staff and feel safe.

I have been down twice already in Summer of 2014 for a total of 8 nights. My next visit is 15- July, 2014. And NO, they did not pay me to write this review or offer any type of compensation.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank djwalpa
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We have not stayed here this year, but have stayed there previously for a week in the summer for approx 15 years straight. Friendly, clean, great service, always updating to the best of their ability. Nicco is right.......... it's the shore and you are not going to get a Vegas-type resort anywhere. Great location, clean pool....yep, they will wash the sand off your feet for you. To me, that's nice plus it keeps the sand out of their rooms and pool. Family run - we always looked forward to our stay at the Commander (sometimes twice a summer)

Room Tip: The 9 front rooms are smaller and do not have a separate bedroom but WOW, what a view from the priva...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sumbode
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We just came home from a week long stay at the Commander-by-the-Sea. We invited friends and family down to join us mid week. We all had a wonderful time! This was our first trip back to Wildwood in 10 years and found the Commander to be just as clean, comfortable and friendly as it was 10 years ago. The same family runs the motel and the pride and upkeep is so nice to see. We are looking forward to a return trip next year and would not consider staying anywhere else but the Commander!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank sunskipper
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Commander has always been a "Happy Place" for me. My family started staying at this motel 41 years ago. I had not been there in 9 years, but found it to be just as great as it always was. The same family has owned it for all these years and they make you feel welcome and have a friendly staff to help with everything. The rooms have been updated and are bright and clean. I like the 2 room suites, which have a refrigerater and microwave. If you feel the need to cook, there are also efficiencies available.
The only negative thing I can say about the room is that the airconditioning from the bedroom unit doesn't cool off the living room too good but there are fans in both rooms. And we didn't spend much time sitting in the livingroom.
The location could not be any better, right on the beach. Very convenient to come off the beach for a quick lunch break. There are 2 big sundecks to hang out on and every room has 2 chairs outside their door. I prefer the 3rd floor, but keep in mind, there are 2 flights of steps to walk up.
You won't be disappointed with a stay at the Commander!

Room Tip: Look at their website and pick out the type of room you prefer. You can't go wrong with any of...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
#4 of 68 in Wildwood Crest
ICONA Diamond Beach
ICONA Diamond Beach
#1 of 7 in Lower Township

Been to Commander-By-The-Sea-Motel? Share your experiences!