“Nightmarish stay at the Shalimar”

Shalimar Resort Motel
Ranked #41 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
usa
“Nightmarish stay at the Shalimar”
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Talk about state of the art crookery and ripping off! You wlll pay double the money compared to other motels in Wildwood and you will get in return tiny tiny rooms, awfully old bathrooms, soiled towels and linens, poor service, doubtful cleanliness and if you are really lucky you may get a table with chairs (as per their misleading room description) and even more lucky if you get a chest with drawers.
Please do not go by their website pictures or do not even thrust they will give you the room you visit: you will be deerly disappointed. They are dishonest, lack integrity, are not customer oriented and are clueless at finding a solution to resolve the simplest problem (which they created themselves). And if you think talking to the "manager" will finally give you the feeling that somebody in that "resort" understands something then think again: she is the most clueless of them all. A robotic, pre-programmed, unskilled, unpleasant, hopelessly incapable and simple-minded woman whose vocabulary is unfortunately reduced to these few words: we have no other room for you & we do not refund. A total disappointment but worst of all: robbery performed before your own eyes without any shame or scruples.

• Liked — close to the ocean
  • Disliked — service, lack of integrity, dishonesty, ripoff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank voyageuseUsa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Eliz NJ
Reviewed July 17, 2008

This place is beutiful, but now i now why, they rip you off after you check out, they charged me $250 falsely accusing me of ruining their bedspread after i had no iron to iron in the room, and the owner said to me " i've heard your kind of excuse that you didnt do it all the time" that just shows me they are crooks. Very upset, this is not the first time i stayed there i have always praised this place, but it will be my last time and all my family that has been there and were planning on going - Please be ware of the charge they charge you! And im still waiting for a phone call to apologize for this falsely charge, first i was told there was damage to the room i asked what was it? then the 2nd person said it was the bed sheets, then it was the comforter. To bill you 5 days after checkout is unlawful!

• Liked — The place is very nice
  • Disliked — Falsely accusing me of damage 5 days after i check with no call prior or proof of my damage!
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank Aldina

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed July 11, 2008

My (now) husband & I stay at the Shalimar for a week every summer with a group of about 40 people. So, when we decided to get married in Cape May this year, we asked the hotel if they would be open to hold our guests, who would all be from out of town/state. Not only did they open for us, but they had the pool ready to go for us as well.

The staff was accomodating & very helpful, from giving our group restaurant suggestions to directions on how to get somewhere.

Everyone at the Shalimar went out of there way to make this a stressfree & relaxing wedding weekend, for both my husband & I as well as all of our guests.

We'll be back again this summer with our usual group & maybe a few of our wedding guests, too!!!

• Liked — friendliness of staff, location
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank jmpnycca
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 27, 2008

This property is a sterling example of neo-doo wop architecture.

Please disregard the poor trip advisor rankings -- this shining motel has to be one of the top properties in the Wildwoods.

The owners of this motel have done an outstanding job of completely modernizing, expanding and renovating this motel while preserving its doo wop roots. The location in the middle of Wildwood Crest just 1 block from the beach is very convenient.

The resort is very well staffed and the entire place shines -- from the new pool with slide and diving board, to the whimsical room decor.

We were wowed by the full kitchen with top-end appliances in the efficiency units. It saved us a lot of money on breakfast. The back bedrooms were light and airy. The front rooms had a sofa with pool out bed and a table with chairs.

Many rooms have views of the ocean and there are fabulous sunrises and sunsets.

There is an elevator, a great doo wop lobby, a washer/dryer, health club, free wireless internet, and two-story townhouse units on the upper floors.

There is new central a/c with a thermostat in each unit, a big advantage over the typical noisy blowers.

The room key has a gold key sticker entitling you to 10 percent discounts at area restaurants, and the owner has plenty of recommendations.

We loved Sal's pizzaria and gelateria.

Visit the Doo-Wop Experience downtown and take the trolley tour of the island!

• Liked — Doo Wop Revival
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank decophile
Ky
Reviewed April 29, 2008

Being a first time visitor to the Wildwood area comming up this summer I booked with the Shalimar Resort Motel. I called and booked with Reservation Specialist Maria. The next day after booking I sent my deposit to the address she provided. About a week after sending my deposit in I recieved a phone call saying they had recieved my deposit but the dates I reserved where taken. The lady that called insisted that I had called and changed my reservations to a different date which I didnt. When I asked her to send my deposit back to me she said she could send the money order back and I would have to hope someone would cash it for me since it was made out already to them. Then the lady said lets see if we can book you at a sister property in Cape May. I had no intrest in staying with them or in Cape May. The lady also said that there was noway that I had only talked to Maria and that I had to of called back and changed it over and over. They also give you no conformation of your reservation or a reservation number to put on your deposit. This place is Fraud!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank Rdmlphelps
PA
Reviewed March 26, 2008

My son stayed at the Shalimar over the Easter weekend. He was competing in a wrestling tournament at the convention center. He is 18 ,and so he called the hotel to make the reservation to be sure that his age would not be a problem . When he arrived he was treated very disrespectfully by one of the men working that evening. This treament included being yelled and cursed at. The next day this same person accused him of smoking in the room (he did not even spend the night there). He also saw that someone had gone through his belongings. I called the hotel to complain, but they have not gotten back to me as promissed.
I

• Liked — The ladies at the front desk were nice.
  • Disliked — Being cursed at, having my things gone through
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank DixiePa
NJ
Reviewed March 25, 2008

Went there for Elks Convention and unfortunately, our Lodge booked the same hotel. Needless to say, we won't be going in 2008, at least not to stay there. To give them $250 for smoking is absurd, especially since we don't smoke. To sign a paper stating that they could retain the $250 if it smells like smoke in and near your room is absurd. Why should I be responsible for a couple next door that might be smoking outside?

• Liked — It was not too far from the beach
  • Disliked — Unreasonable Policies
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business