“Not pleased”

Ranked #42 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
pen Argyl
“Not pleased”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I recently stayed at the Shalimar with my two sons.We were able to check in a little early and I was immediately impressed with the cleanliness and layout of the room.We soon realized that there was a problem with the toilet flushing so we reported it to the front desk and headed to the boardwalk.Upon returning a few hours later,it was 't fixed so we called the desk,maintenance arrived and plunged the toilet.Next day,the same problem.Maintenance came,plunged again and told me it was a "low flow toilet that needed to be flushed a certain way".Since I have one at home,I suggested that maybe something was stuck in there as the toilet wouldn't even flush toilet paper.By then we had begun using the powder room in the hall as our primary bathroom.On our third and last night there,maintenenace once again came to plunge.This time he said that there was something stuck in there,they would be changing the toilet in the morning and I could keep the plunger in the room.Upon checking out the next
morning,I spoke with the manager and relayed our story.He said he was sorry,they were replacing the toilet that day.I said for our entire stay we were without a functioning toilet and again he said"I don't know what to say,I'm sorry".I should not have to pay peak season rates for a motel room with no toilet,nor should I have to plunge a toilet on my vacation.I felt management did not respond in an appropriate manner to remedy the situation and I would not return to the resort because of it.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank Lslaug
Shalimar_Staff, Front Office Manager at Shalimar Resort Motel, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
We work very hard with our staff to insure that the customer is serviced properly and that the rooms are clean and working properly. We are glad to hear that this customer had good experiences with both the cleanliness and layout of her room. Our toilets are water saving toilets - and do flush properly if used correctly. Many times it is a matter of customers using too much “paper” causing the toilet to clog. Each situation is handled on a case by case basis. Maintenance staff did decide to change the toilet because the problem did persist. We do not keep plungers in any of our rooms, but made an exception when customer requested it. The toilet was changed that morning. We again apologize to this customer for their inconvenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
NJ
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family has been staying at the Shalimar since 2006, and every year we are never disappointed! The staff is very friendly, helpful, considerate, and always available. The rooms are air conditioned and very clean! The cleaning staff are all wonderful and are very quick on getting you what you need. The pool is heated and very fun. There are poolside grills and tables which are great. I have never personally used the mini golf, but children are always there! The Shalimar is also in a great location, with the beach right across from you, the boardwalk down the street, and the Centennial Park right down the block where concerts are played. You do have to pay $100 when you check in for the fire alarms, but guess what? As long as you do not start a fire or personally set the alarm off in any way, you get that money back at the end of your stay! I highly recommend the Shalimar for a Wildwood vacation. It is clean, has a friendly staff, great pool, fantastic location, and best of all, it is fun and safe! I cannot wait until 2013!

2 Thank Dream_Star1
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My Husband and I stayed mid week and found the Shalimar to be a great place to stay. The lobby was welcoming, with fresh ice water and a coffee machine with a great variety available. We arrived early and we were given access to our room earlier then the 3 pm check in time. The room was spotlessly clean! The cleaning staff never disappointed either. Each time our room was made up, it was cleaned to perfection! Extra towels and wash clothes were always available. The air conditioning was fantastic! Even he hallways were air conditioned! We settled in and went to check out the pool. As others have stated, the pool was fantastic. The pool staff were seen throughout the day ensuring that it stayed clean and well maintained. We didn't use the mini golf but did see many families enjoying it and thought it was a great idea for those with kids. Although with the pool being open until 10 pm and being heated, most families took full advantage of it! Also, there was always someone on staff at the front desk 24/7. Important to consider not only if a question/problem arises but for safety. We will definitely be returning to the Shalimar! Highly recommend it if you are looking for a CLEAN, well air conditioned, safe place to stay with an awesome pool!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank MisseeKayy
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I spent our honeymoon in Wildwood Crest 43 years ago. This year was the first we had been back to Wildwood since then. We stayed at the Shalimar. It was beautiful, clean and wonderfully located to the beach. They were friendly, helpful and accomodating to me as I had medical needs that required extra assistance. We stayed in a suite with my daughter and her family. The children enjoyed the pool. It was heated so they swam from morning till evening when we weren't at the beach. They had pool side grills and tables which allowed us to grill most evenings. The maid service was excellent. They came everyday and cleaned even with all our clutter do to having kids and lots of stuff. Their rates were very reasonable for all we had. With the kitchenette we were able to have breakfast and lunch in our suite and then with the grills at poolside we even cooked dinner a couple nights. We stayed 7 days. It was a great experience and a wonderful place to stay. We will definitely stay here again, hopefully next year. We are planning to come with more family and stay in the bigger unit. I highly recommend this motel at Wildwood.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank PeggyW302
Sicklerville, New Jersey
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My family and I just spent our 13th year at the Shalimar. As always it was the best week of our year. The Shalimar is very clean which is very very important to us and offers a very fun and friendly atmosphere with a great location. After 11 years in an efficiency unit we moved upstairs to a two room suite. These two floor suites are awesome. Not only do they give you more room but they allow for more privacy. The staff is very friendly and treats us with much respect.The maids respond in a quick positive manner to any request we have. The pool area is spacious and with the southern sun exposure the kids can swim well into the evening.We have made many great memories here and will continue to do so as we have already booked our 2013 vacation at the Shalimar. I highly recommend this motel to enjoy a vacation in Wildwood.

2 Thank Joe K
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Most people would think of a Jersey Shore motel as gross and bad. But let me tell you something, it blew that expectation out of play! The lobby is welcoming and nice. There is an elevator for easy accesibility. We went with some family members who reccomended it to us after years of staying there. We got the room type C which has a front room with one bed, a TV, dresser (usuals), a small but handy bathroom, and a back room with 2 large beds. The staff was great. The pool is FANTASTIC! The golf course is amusing for about 5 minutes, but cute to have. It is so close to the shore, it's great.

The only minor upsets I have about it is that the bathroom floor could be a tad cleaner and the back room was very tight.

In another note, our family members got the room a level up from ours with a kitchenette. They made a quick but hearty dinner. For only a couple dozen dollars more, we should have gotten that room. It has a pull-out couch, 2 beds, a changing area, and a large bathroom.

I reccomend it! Have fun!

P.S~ We went August 2011 so I'm sure it is the same if not better now!

Room Tip: If you're a family of 3-4, you can make do with the C. But if you want more for either a longer...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank anonymouspersona
NJ
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were a bit afraid to stay at the Shalimar after seeing so many negative reviews but we booked just a few days in advance so took our chances. What we got was a huge, clean pool, a clean comfortable room (we chose the D-6 kitchenette) and we were just steps from the beach. What more can you ask for in the midst of a hot NJ summer? We had a great microwave, a full fridge with a freezer, 2 burner electric cooktop, coffee maker and toaster. We were able to comfortable have breakfast and lunch at our leisure and since we were there mid week, we were able to use the grills easily. There was absolutely no mold smell in the room (we come to expect that "down the shore" here in NJ), the room was obviously updated recently and I was so surprised when the housekeeping staff immediately put extra towels, soap, etc in our room when they saw we were a family of 4. What was most surprising - excellent A/C that was QUIET! Never had that happen before!

The kids had a great time with the diving board and pool slide, and we were impressed with the excellent pool staff that was on hand all day to ensure the pool was clean and clear. And who can argue with the Wildwood beach, huge, clean and gorgeous, all just a few minutes walk to the Boardwalk. The Shalimar was also just 2 blocks from Centennial Park and the free concerts on Wednesday night.
We usually stay at a condo each year in Wildwood, but will go back to the Shalimar next year instead!

Room Tip: We stayed poolside which was not too bad but the upper level rooms have a better chance of an ocean...
2 Thank Mom22NJ