“Never Again!”

Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Pennsylvania
“Never Again!”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

We tried this hotel on the recommendation from another hotel in the Crest where we normally stayed. The Waters Edge's website is a crock for beginners. The hotel was run down and dirty. The pool was extremely small with the deck littered with cigarette butts and ashes. The game room/meeting room is a filthy pig sty. The available grills were ancient and disgusting. The breezeways along the rooms were shrewn with butts and some garbage. The parking lot was unkept, in need of repair and unwelcoming. The area behind the hotel was littered with garbage and hotel workings. For those that think this hotel is nice, you've obviously never stayed anywhere else, cause this place is a dump compared to the rest in the Crest! Even the hotel office/lobby was unwelcoming, small and without a warm tourist greeting. The room was old, dirty and way outdated. For your money you can certainly do much better, we learned our lesson well.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank BareTail

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
New Jersey
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We have been going to the Waters Edge for nearly 12 years. The week just after labor day offers the best in savings. Staying in the same room is just like a second home. Sure hotels at the beach take a beating from guests and this one is no different. Its a little worn but its clean and cozy. Yes there might be some sand in the carpet and the furniture a little outdated but hey ! this is a shore hotel not the Ritz !!! or the Dupont. You go there to **relax and get some sun not hang in your room all day. Our room was cleaned every morning from front to back quickly and quietly. ( except when they run the vac to remove the sand we track in ) The surrounding property is always kept clean by the town workers and hotel staff. Wildwood Crest in general is kept very clean.

If we ever had a problem it was fixed in minutes. The staff was courteous and always friendly. They have a heated pool that is attended to every morning before you wake up. The sun deck is a great place to catch some rays and hang out with friends and family. In the afternoon it makes a great place to have your dinner for those of us who like to cook their own food. ( a locale Shoprite is close by ) A spacious gas grill on the ground floor sees to that. Those of us who have the upper floors facing the ocean have a private balcony to relax on when we comeback from the boardwalk and enjoy the evening breeze.

Parking is for one car only, if you have a large vehicle park on the outer perimeter never in the courtyard.

Now to the beaches, right around 3:30 to 5:30 AM they groom the entire beach If you have ever wanted a beach that is never crowded, this is the time of year to go. The water is still warm and the sun plentiful. If you like sunrises take a walk to the surf at around 6:30AM and I promise the only thing you will see except for yourself and me is maybe some guy running with his dog. During the morning at around 10-11 AM the beach starts to fill, however it is never ever crowded.

I have recommended this property to many friends and coworkers and have never heard a negative word. I see the same people every year we go down, and that should tell you something. I’m looking forward to this years return in a couple of weeks.

**One correction here I need to add is that during the week after labor day they host the annual Roar to the Shore 100,000 to 150,000 bikes are expected attend this year's 2009 event up near the boardwalk It’s a little noisy sometimes at night and during the day. If that bothers you then stay the following week and enjoy the firemen’s convention Sept. 17th -19th. Trust me the biker crowd is more fun, and the kids like it too.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
Bronx, nY
Reviewed July 14, 2009

This is our 2nd year staying here and we like it. We booked a 2 bedroom with three young boys and it was great. The only thing was in 2007 we had a one bedroom oceanfront and a beautiful balcony. This year we were in the back of the main hotel and although I could see the ocean it was barely. I enjoyed my balcony anyway. The pool is small but big enough for me to monitor three young boys. We love the fact I can just walk to the boardwalk and take the tram to the activities. Wonderful location. Will definitely go back next year.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank LisaSev03
New York, NY
Reviewed July 7, 2009

This is by far the worst place I have ever stayed. My room (305) was filthy upon arrival. My 1 year old was crawling on the floor and her hands, pants and feet were black from the filthy floor. My bedding had burn holes and stains. The pool was tiny and dirty. The management was lazy and careless. Please DO NOT stay at this hotel.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank roomy1
Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 22, 2009

This is by far my favorite motel in Wildwood. Reading the other reviews that state the manager was rude only makes me wonder how rude the customer/tenant was. Everyone in the office was literally sweet as pie!!! I feel like if you go into the office as one of the only people with numerous complaints- you're going to frustrate the people in the office and just sound like a pain in the neck. The rooms were perfect and the location was wonderful. Steps to the beach and the boardwalk. What else do you need? The pool and sundeck are great. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LCurt03
Northern New Jersey
Reviewed June 18, 2009

My parents booked a 3-night stay at the Water's Edge. We booked a 2-room suite, as my friend was coming with us (we're both 22, my parents are in their 50s). My mother did extensive research on every hotel in Wildwood Crest and settled on this one. Unfortunately, she unknowingly booked a hotel that is an undesirable place to lay your head for the night.

As soon as we pulled up to the hotel, I looked at it and said, "I have a bad feeling about this place." We checked in and my father paid the rest of the balance (we had sent in a one-night check deposit to reserve our room). The women at the desk told us our room would be ready in about an hour and that they would call us when our room was ready. We got lunch and walked the boardwalk. More than two hours had passed by and we still did not receive a phone call. We went back to the hotel and asked if our room was ready. The two women looked at us as though they had never seen us before. They seemed incredibly disorganized and very confused. We got the keys to our room and went upstairs to check it out. The stairwells were dirty and unkempt. Most rooms are back entry only, and you enter your room from the outdoors. This wouldn't be too bad if the walkways to get to the rooms were wider. We had a hard time maneuvering the luggage cart down the narrow walkway.

THE ROOMS ARE EXTREMELY OUTDATED. The televisions were at least 25 years old. The kitchenette was from the 1970s. The oven was dirty. There were stains on the 1960s green vinyl pull-out couch that my parents were supposed to sleep on. We were less than pleased. My mother went downstairs to the two women at the desk and asked if we might possibly get an upgrade if there was a bigger room available, since the next-best room had a third bed instead of a pull-out couch. My father is a retired police officer and has a bad back. The woman said that if we wanted the upgrade we would have to pay for it. My mother came back to the room and pulled the pull-out couch to lay down on. The mattress was so thin that the springs were popping out. The whole place (including the outside) looked as though it had not been renovated or cleaned up in over 30 years. Now, I understand that Wildwood wants to maintain its "doo-wop" theme, and many hotels manage to keep their kitschy feel while updating their rooms and buying new furniture. The owners obviously do not re-invest much money to replace old couches, televisions, carpets, and kitchen sets.

Long story short, my mother took a walk and booked a suite at the hotel that we originally wanted to go to, which was MUCH nicer and worked great for us. My friend and I went into the office at the Water's Edge to tell the two women that we would be leaving, while my father packed the car. My mom told the women that we were checking out and they said, "So soon? Why?" My mother reiterated that she just wanted to leave. THEN they asked if we wanted an upgradge (remember that they had originally denied us one before we decided to leave). We told them that we just wanted our money back and that we understood we could not get our first deposit back. They told us they did not do refunds, and my mom told the woman that the place was disgusting and that we could not stay there (I realize this probably was not the best way to convey our thoughts to this woman, but we just wanted to get our money back and leave) . The woman, to put it nicely, was EXTREMELY nasty and said yelled, "ARE YOU CALLING MY ROOMS DISGUSTING?" My mother talked to her very calmly and just told her we wanted to leave and wanted a refund. The woman yelled at my mother, belittled her, and told her, "We don't want people like YOU in our hotel!" I'm sorry, but who are people like "us"? If she was referring to people who want a somewhat updated, safe, clean hotel, then I guess we ARE "those" people. My friend said, "Wow, I didn't know you were allowed to treat customers this way." The woman replied, "We don't want customers like YOU!" My friend and I both work in customer service and never once have either of us treated a customer in the way that my mother was treated. This woman had asked what was wrong, so my mother told her! The woman gave us our refund and told us that we were not welcome (well, we were leaving anyway!) and to get out of her hotel, or else she was going to call the police. I have no idea why she wanted to do this. My mother spoke extremely calmly to her the entire time. There was no need to try to embarrass us by threatening to call the police...we were out of there in a flash! I should also mention that this is the first time we had ever left a hotel like that, and the first time we had EVER been treated like that by a concierge. The customer service at this hotel is terrible, the rooms aren't updated, and the place is filthy. I don't see a reason for any nice family to give their business to this establishment.

Side note: If you stay near the sundeck, by the pool, or on the ground floor, it is VERY easy for "peeping Toms" to creep around and invade your privacy.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank BeatleGina
Manchester Township, New Jersey
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Oh yes, the owners were very nice at check in, but after I wanted a refund because the room was OLD and WORN with a 1970's vinyl pull out couch with springs popping out, they were extremely RUDE!!!!! Before asking for a refund, I did ask management if I could get an upgrade for the same price with a bed for me and my husband. She stated "no, it would be extra." Then I thought why the heck am I staying at this dump!?

Shame on anyone for threatening a customer by yelling "Get out of here or I will call the police!" Funny thing though. . .my husband is a police officer, who was already packing the car to get away from this unclean establishment!!! All because I CALMLY asked for a refund????? The way the owner reacted was extremely unprofessional and truly made a fool of herself by acting the way she did. Telling me "Who do you think you are?!" because I told her that her hotel was gross? She took offense to the truth and probably thought I was a rich snob (which I am not!). Well, maybe if you spent a little money to update your "fine establishment" you would not have customers asking for refunds.

We were fortunate enough to get a beautiful room at The Adventurer. Extemely clean, MODERN rooms with comfortable beds, surveillance cameras, signs to all destinations in the hotel, restaurant downstairs, professional uniformed employees, heated pool, game room, fitness center, etc.

I have stayed in 4 hotels in Wildwood in the past few years and the Wates Edge truly was the worst in every way!!! Actually, I have NEVER experienced such a rude individual in my lifetime!!!!

Hey, you get what you pay for. A run down establishment with rude management.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family