“Apollo Motel is Great”

Ranked #62 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
N Wildwood
“Apollo Motel is Great”
Reviewed June 4, 2008

I have been going to the Apollo Motel for about 8 years now. I love the specials they run and the out of season prices can't be beat anywhere on the island. The oceanfront motel is an excellent place to watch the sunrise and the dolphins play in the ocean.
I went to the Apollo at the end of April for a couple of days and am going back next week for a few days again. The Apollo Motel is always clean. Trust me, I am very clean conscious and have never been disappointed with the cleanliness of the rooms.

If you are looking for a new motel to check out don't miss this one.

• Liked — the ocean view
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 13, 2007

When my wife and I first entered our motel room, we looked at each other with a look of disappointment. The motel room was not what we expected.

This is not meant to slam the motel, but rather to give prospective guests an honest take of what we saw and experienced.

The best word to describe the room would be "worn". It was a 28x13 ft. room with a drop ceiling (some of the tiles were popped up) and paneling (which was gouged and pieced in places).

The carpeting had rust stains under the air conditioner where it must have leaked and was also pieced together near the beds.

It was a very basic setup. The bathroom had a sink (no counter top to put your toiletries on), toilet and tub/shower. There were some towels and washcloths, tiny guest soaps and an extra roll of toilet paper. No tissues, shampoo, drinking glasses, or other extras like I'm used to finding in better motels/hotels.

The furniture was worn. There was a table and two chairs in the rear of the room opposite the bathroom. One of the chairs was missing a good chunk of upholstery. The dresser laminate was peeling off. The telephone did not work.

If you are looking for someplace to just sleep at night after a day at the beach, it would suit you fine. If you're looking for a nice place to vacation with your family, I'd look elsewhere. Had it not been for the fact that we would have lost our payment(s) if we left, we would have!

We moved the two double beds together to accommodate our two small children and I found candy, tissues, food and debris under the beds. On the surface the room appeared clean, but underneath it all, it was not. Even the filter in the wall mounted air conditioner was in need of cleaning. And the window right near the A/C had a mini blind on it which had seen better days as well.

I stayed here based upon the photos from Wildwood's travel guide and reviews I read here. Something didn't add up. Perhaps we received the worst room they had to offer? Sorry to be so negative, but this was the first time we took our two small children to the beach and were expecting a better room for the experience. I'm sure college students on a spring break would not mind the room, but two mature adults and their children did.

• Liked — Beach front
  • Disliked — Everything else!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank JethroB
THEAPOLLO, Manager at Apollo Resort Motel, responded to this review, February 5, 2008
All issues have been corrected. The Apollo had one and only one unit in the whole motel that had a white drop ceiling with silver/light grey wall paneling, and this was that room. Well we are happy to announce that this room has been totally renovated. The walls are now drywall with a white textured finish, and ceiling is now drywall with a white popcorn finish. There was a sofabed in the room which had metal caps on the legs which caused the rust marks on the carpet. New carpet has been installed so those small rust marks are history. New rolls of carpet come 12 feet wide to fit standard size motel rooms. This room is 13 feet wide, 1 foot wider then standard. This is the reason the carpet had to be pieced against the wall under the beds. Bath towels, wash clothes, toilet paper, soap, bath mats, sheets, pillow cases, blankets, dish detergent, dish clothes, and dish towels are all provided with daily maid service, which is more then many Wildwood Crest motels. The furniture is almost new and is not worn. The (starting to detach) very end of the half inch strip of formica on the top edge of the dresser backsplash has been fixed. The Serta Perfect Sleeper 5 Star Hotel full size beds are almost new. And the room phone works fine. All airconditioners are larger then recommended capacity. That combined with ceiling fans insure a cool room even on the hottest summer days. And all airconditioner filters are cleaned at regular intervals. The back window now sports a new white horizonal miniblind. If this guest had brought his dissatisfaction with hIs room to our attention we would have gladly allowed him to upgrade. We are proud to say that we are the original owners of the Apollo, and have declined the temptation to sell or go condo like many other Wildwood motel owners, because we love this business so much.

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 21, 2007

We booked our stay for our first trip to Wildwood at Apollo and the rooms are simple, clean and with nice view to the ocean. Check in and out is very easy. There is a 20$ deposit but you get it back anyway. Management is very helpful for directions and general tourist info.
The pool is nice, clear and clean and warm, it's big enough for me, Anyway i didn't drive 12 hours to go in a pool but it was fun with the kids after the day at the beach. Motel is family oriented and access to beach is very easy. Only small thing is the line up for the BBQ and I had some difficulties to start it when I was the first to use it. Will go back to Apollo at our next vacation to Wildwood.

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — Some equipment maybe needs renewing
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank erniboy123
New York
Reviewed May 27, 2007

I just got back from Wildwood Crest and I stayed at the Apollo. The service was great. We were running late and called the office the staff on duty at the time was very helpful. I believe his name is Mike. He gave us direction to the place and waited for us to get there at 1 AM in the morning. In addition he provided us info about events, restaurants etc... The room was very clean. The place is right by the beach, nice view. I do recommend the Apollo to others and I will definitely go back there.

• Liked — location and service
  • Disliked — the pool is too small
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank love2travelnexplore
Philadelphia
Reviewed February 12, 2007

I have been going to the Apollo almost every summer for about 10 years. My kids can walk or take the trolley to the boardwalk. I love to read the paper on the deck in the morning and watch the sunrise on the beach. The Apollo is family-owned and operated. They are a hardworking family of the type that is the backbone of America. I love the Apollo.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 20, 2006

What can I say?? Awful is the word. Walked into a filthy, disgusted mess of a room. Smelly, with dead roaches in the kitchen. The bathroom was so old and outdated. Dirty, moldy and full of soap scum. The bedroom was disgusting full of dirt under the beds, and all over the carpets. The lamps and lampshades were a disgrace. Cracked shades and broken. Talking about lights you get a flourescent tube for a light fixture in the bathroom. TACKY!! Dust everywhere, caked on dust. I had to go and buy cleaning products in which I used to clean all of the surfaces and bathroom sink, toilet and tub. No one should be put in this terrible position. I expected a lot more from a motel in the Crest of Wildwood. To add to the list, we had to put up with broken furniture, filthy window to look out of and a back window with a disgusting screen. Also, took the filter out of the AC and cleaned that also. The best of all was the pair of jockey shorts in the bathroom hanging on the inside of the door in which I discarded outside of the room. Used coffee still in the coffee maker, stinky and full of mold. GROSS!!! We will NEVER stay here again. Do yourself a favor just pass this one by.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The room was dirty.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay here.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sparksareflyin
APOLLOMOTEL, MANAGER at Apollo Resort Motel, responded to this review, November 19, 2006
Someone who is unsatisfied is a thousand times more likely to get on line to post a negative review, then the thousands of people who are satisfied to get online to post a positive review. I know that if this room was truely as described, it had not been cleaned after the previous guest checked out. This was never brought to our attention. If we were notified of this situation, it would have been corrected immediately by giving her a different room. This evaluation of our product is definitely unfair, unrealistic, inaccurate, and unbalanced. Failing to mention one positive thing about her room in her write up proves this.
Wallingford, PA
Reviewed October 17, 2006

I stayed here for Columbus Day weekend for a soccer tournament with my three children. The room had a wonderful view, directly facing the ocean. I didn't expect much after reading some of the reviews so I was not dissapointed. The motel is old and the decor is very dated. At first glance, the room looked clean but after a short time, we found large bugs and the bathroom had mold. The window screen in the shower was covered in layers of dirt. There was no clock in the bedroom so I had to call the front desk for a wake up call. The problem was I wanted the kids to sleep a few hours after me. Not the end of the world.

The check in/check out was easy.

They only permitted one parking space per unit (even though I had a deluxe efficiency sleeping six) and my husband had to park two blocks away. This may be common for motels along the Jersey shore but it proved to be quite inconvenient at 6AM in the rain.

• Liked — The OCean View
  • Disliked — Overall dissatisfaction with Room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family