“This is an outstanding place to stay”

American Safari Motel
Ranked #26 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Bellefonte
“This is an outstanding place to stay”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is an outstanding place to stay.

I originally called the Gondolier and spoke with owner Jeanette, but they didn’t have enough available nights in a row to accommodate us there. Jeanette suggested a room in the Buttercup, another of their properties, but we really, really wanted an ocean view, so she offered us accommodations at the American Safari, also owned by the same family.

We’re glad we said yes. We stayed in Room 300 in early June. The view was great, the exterior of the property is colorful and charming, the room was lovely with bright and cheerful decor, and the motel is in an excellent location just a block from the beach and a few short blocks from the boardwalk.

Jeanette was wonderful on the phone, and when we arrived, Jeanette’s son Adam was very welcoming. I also have to mention the maid: The room was exceptionally clean (the cleanest motel room I’ve ever seen, by far). She was also very pleasant and made sure we had all the soap and towels we needed. I’ve never seen such attention to cleanliness and detail in a motel, especially one so affordable.

We had a glorious vacation, aided in large part by the unexpected loveliness of our lodgings. We were delighted with our room, the location, and the people who work there. We highly recommend the American Safari.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David H

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in June for my daughter's first show vacation. We got room 308, which was smaller than we wanted, fridge and microwave but not a real kitchenette, but we booked late and we're glad to get the room. Plus, we had a perfect ocean view, so no complaints.

I was worried, because the Elks had a party tent set up below the back bedroom window, but the soundproofing was great. We never heard the Elks or the pool noise.

Free coffee and cookies in the Aztec lobby (just next door) daily until 11am.

American Safari does not have a kiddie pool, but we were told we could use the one next door at Aztec.

The room was very clean. It could use a little updating, but it was fine.

The air conditioner couldn't really keep up, so the humidity got bad, but with the door open you got a great breeze.

My only question is, why we're there bars of soap in the air conditioner? Really weird! I guess that's what they use as an air freshener? I've never seen anything like this before!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sussex, New Jersey
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We have been coming staying at this motel for years and the years to come. The staff is friendly,rooms are clean and the Owners are Great. We love it it here. would recommend it to family and friends.the view of the ocean and close to the boardwalk its very convenient.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Been coming to American safari for years. Nice owner, clean rooms. Very accommodating. Close to boardwalk, quiet without missing much . Would recommend hotel and staff.
We will be coming back year after year

• Stayed September 2013
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I love the safari Adamo and his son are great! Have been coming here since I was a kid , now I have my own family and we love it here. They truly appreciate their customers by throwing little parties. The staff is friendly and the rooms are clean..needs a lite updating but can't complain.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Paterson, New Jersey
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Adamo and his family know what they are doing. They own the Gondolier, Aztec, and American Safari - the latter two which were dives before they took over. The rooms are impeccably clean, like not even dust bunnies under the bed. Furniture and decorations are light and airy, and they update things on a regular basis. This year's updates to our room were new sleeper sofas and a flat screen TV for the living room :) The bathrooms are even clean and updated! They put things in the room that other hotels don't, like dish soap, CLEAN pots and pans, new toaster, etc... and all the cabinets, fridge, stove, etc... are very clean and look on the new side. I just can't get over how clean this place is. I've stayed in other hotels in Wildwood and Wildwood Crest and NOTHING holds a candle to this place. I will not stay anywhere else.

Mattresses are very firm, but I am the exception that doesn't like that - so this isn't a complaint, just a warning to those who like soft mattresses. I brought an egg crate and was fine!

You can tell they love their customers, as they have several nights of entertainment throughout the year, with food, wine, and entertainment. They are Italians, and most Italians I know know are very hospitable and generous, this family is no exception! In the morning, they have free coffee and delicious cookies in the lobby.

The pool is clean, and seems to be updated regularly. and the patio/pool furniture looks new and updated - as do the BBQ grills by the pool. All of their hotels look equally as clean/nice.

We will definitely return to this hotel again, or one of their other hotels if this one isn't available and I've recommended their hotels to several people. You WILL NOT regret taking a chance on this hotel!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Bristol CT
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My family of 4, plus my daughters friend, and Sons girlfriend stayed at the American Safari for the long weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at how lovely it was! The motel is older, but the love, care & pride they take in their property is evident. We stayed in the G suite, the 2 bedroom suite. There was enough room for us all. The room was sparkling!!! Good amount of towels and the maids were wonderful! The beds were very comfortable as well. We enjoyed the free coffee and cookies in every morning. They had a Customer appreciation party at the Gondolier that weekend, but we got there late and there was no where to sit, so we decided to go out to dinner that night, but according to the other guests, it was fantastic! The pool is rather small, but sufficient for the amount of guest they have. I wouldn't hesitate to stay at the American Safari again, the people we met there were top notch and the owners care!! Great place!

Room Tip: They do not have a elevator, so if going with young children or older family members, ask for a 1st...