“Very friendly”

Madrid Oceanfront Condominiums
Ranked #55 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed July 2, 2011

Me and my family were staying here for the 4th of July weekend. Today (jul 2nd) we arrived at the motel, I Gotta say it's very very clean. The staff was very friendly. Reading the previous review made me not want to come here. But I decided to check it out myself. My room is on the 5th floor, there is a gorgeous view of the ocean right in front of you and every room has the same view (I posted the pic up) The room that I got was extremely clean, the fridge stove and everything else was spotless. It had no rugs, ceramic floor. Tv are not up to date, however it has a DVD player. One of the tv's in my room wasn't working properly so I called the front desk and they immediately came to fix the problem. They ended up replacing the tv for a bigger one. Then I asked for extra sheets and pillows because it was 6 of us staying and the couch turns into a queen size bed. The lady came and dis the bed for us and was so nice. I tried tipping her 10 dollars and she didn't want to accept it but I insisted and she said thank you. I ended up bringing hot dogs and cheeseburgers from home to grill. You can also reserve the grill by the pool area when you check in. They provide pots and plates with utensils as if you were home. Thy also have a pizza restaurant downstairs from you that serve breakast and dinner, they are opened till 3am. Overall everything has been great.

• Stayed: July 2011
3  Thank Morenita1085
There are newer reviews for Madrid Oceanfront Condominiums

Reviewed March 10, 2011

Maybe i am biased because i have been staying at the Madrid since i was a child. Yes its old, but that's the point. Its a 50's era doo wop motel as is the entire area. I grew up staying at the Madrid and now that i can share my childhood with my children is simply amazing. When i stay here i come with my wife and 2 children, my sister and brother in law and their 4 kids, and the people that started us on the motel my parents. The rooms are not perfect. Sometimes the air conditioner isn't the best. But i have found that if you approach the staff about any problem, they are more than happy to remedy any issue you may have. Our last trip our refrigerator did not work. We had a brand new one withing an hour. The efficiency rooms on the 5th floor are the best option. We always book the top floor and always get the very edge of the floor so we can have our privacy. The rooms consist of 2 beds in a back room with dresser hangers and a TV., and a ceiling fan. This room gets HOT. But i found over the years and years that leaving the door open and bringing a fan helps tremendously. This room sleeps my mother in law and my kids. The bathroom is just that a bathroom. The front room has a table and chairs, a TV ceiling fan air conditioner dresser. If you leave the AC on all the time the entire place with be quite comfortable. In between the to sleep areas is the kitchen. Its not really a kitchen at all, its more like a hallway with a sink, stove, and fridge. It gets the job done depending what you are looking for. For us its great for morning eggs, coffee not for making big meals. All utensils and plates, and pots and pans come in the rooms with in the cabinets.

When i was growing up here the pool was much different in looks. There used to be a slide and a diving board. But over the years with insurance and lawsuits these have both been removed. The pool is divided into 2 sections. A small fenced section for little children, and then the larger portion for big kids and adults. The pool is 8 feet in the deep end and about 3 feet in the shallow end. On the pool deck there is ample room for lounging with many chairs and several table with umbrellas. Best to get out early and reserve a table,,,and for this reason i love my mother in law. She is up and at the pool reserving at 7 am. Also on the pool deck is 2 industrial gas grills. You have to reserve grill time at the front desk and it comes in blocks of 1 hr.

The view is simply unbeatable. All rooms are ocean front. The sun rises right over the waves, and if you get up early like we do you can see the dolphins swimming and playing right off shore. The beach is huge. plenty of room for sun tanning, games, walking or whatever you can imagine.

Like i said before. This motel is amazing, but i am biased because i have had the chance to go as a kid and now to take my kids back in time to my childhood. The memories that i made and the memories i am making more than make up for the slight issues that may arise at the Madrid.

The area restaurants are great. You have to go early to dinner if you go out. There are no reservations to be made. Its all first come first serve. Research for yourself but i recommend Uries restaurant its my favorite. The boardwalk with the rides and the 2 water parks are great too. But its best to buy your tickets and admissions during the spring sale which is in April of every year. Great sales.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank slewess
Reviewed October 3, 2010

If you are familiar with Jersey Shore "mom and pop" privately owned motels, this one is probably better than most. Like most, it's old ('50s era) and dated, but it's right on the beach, very clean and has a friendly and helpful staff. As far as value goes, I think all of these motels in the Wildwood area are expensive for what you get, but then it's a seasonal industry and they have to make thier money in the summer or they just don't make it. Rates are competitive with other motels in the area. They have a heated pool, small game room and laundry facilities which are more than adequate. There is also a small restaurant beachside which is good for lunch or a snack, but don't expect much more than that. All in all, if your're not the type that expects places like this to be the "Ritz", you will find it just fine.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank goodguy1019
Reviewed September 2, 2010

My wife and I just came back from a four-day stay at the Madrid. We both liked the motel a lot. The first night we stayed in a regular motel room on the first floor, because there were no efficiency rooms available. We didn't care for this room, because there was a lot of noise by the pool, we were very close to the cafe which adjoins the motel, and the room was too small - not even a table to sit at. Fortunately, an efficiency was available for the next two nights, The room was on the top floor, the fifth. It had been recently refurbished. The room was very big, enough to sleep six. It had a table for six, new carpets, and a new kitchen appliances. My wife and I found it to be very comfortable and clean. The motel is right on the ocean and every room has an oceanview. The pool and sun were nice. We felt the rates for the efficiency room were a bargain. The only drawback was that the motel is about 25 blocks away from the boardwalk, which means you have to drive over there and get parking. We will likely go back again next year, but only if we can get an efficiency for the entire stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 5, 2010

You need to approach the Madrid Motel with the above mindset.
We've been traveling to Wildwood for well over 15 years now, the more recent time with 2 small children in tow.

Rooms- Mildew on the shower curtain, mildew on the tile grout, stained ceiling tiles, bed linens and towels that looked quite threadbare. That being said, the room attendant did his best to work with what he had. Our room was cleaned quite early in the day and upon re-entering you immediately noticed that the place was in order. Our room, 102, desparately needs about $5,000 in upgrades to cover new fixtures, bes and bedding, carpet and fresh paint.

Location- Located in Wildwood Crest, which in my opinion is the nicer location on the peninsula. Quiet, relatively party-free and great for families. That this motel spans an entire block, with every room facing the beach, is quite remarkable. If you're hoping to have shopping, gift stores nearby, you're out of luck. This part of Wildwood Crest is really just residential, so you're either walking 20+ blocks or hopping in the car.

Cleanliness- As I alluded to in my previous entry re: rooms, the staff tries to do the most with what they have. The motel as a whole is quite dated and needs more than a fresh coat of paint- it really needs to be overhauled to a great extent. That being said, staff, including housekeeping and maintenance, does their best to make sure that the place stays clean.

Service- Outside of front desk and housekeeping, there isn't any service. No concierge, no room service, no porter etc. Front desk is efficient in terms of taking your reservation and checking you in/out. Housekeeping staff cleaned our block of rooms early and efficiently.

Value- That you can get a beachfront room with pool in prime season for under $200 is pretty significant. Just keep in mind that you're paying the money for a basic, Jersey-shore beach motel without any bells or whistles.

Sleep Quality- I need to caution that part of the reason behind my 2-stars for this category is that we were on the 1st floor, by our own choosing, so it's obviously going to generate more noise than higher up (there are 5 floors). Poor beds/bedding are the prime reason for the low rating- you do have the benefit of a nice "blackout" type curtain which keeps the room nice and dark.

In the end, if you take this motel for what it is, basic and in need of an upgrade in more areas than one, you won't feel as though you were let down. Wildwood Crest is a great little town, immaculate with a nice "family-feel" to it. It's relatively close to the beginning of the boardwalk (less than one mile). If you're looking for some beach R & R close to home (assuming you live in the tri-state area) for a decent price, this is the place for you.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank GK1Impulse
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I actually booked a room at the Madrid the day before I was ready to leave. I was told I was getting the last room available on the third floor but was given the 2nd floor room off the sundeck. This would have been fine until the new vacationers came and decided to have a beer pong party until 7:00 am. They ended their party with singing Benny and Jets, over and over again. When I told management the next morning, they said "maybe they thought they were on vacation". Well, I was on vacation with my son and didn't appreciate staying awake all night long. The rooms are a little strange. There are two double beds in the bedroom with a ceiling fan, tv, dresser and no air-conditioner. The front room contains a kitchen table, a double bed, tv, and kitchen. There were tile floors in my room which I love, no nasty carpets. However, I think the room I had was the only one without carpets. Afraid of bed bugs, I purchased my own sheets and pillows. I folded up the comforter and quite then blankets and left them to the side. The room was very, very clean however one bed was so stained, almost looked like it was in a flood that I refused to use it. This is how I wound up sleeping in the living/kitchen area. With one air-condiitoner, the bedroom got quite hot. If you plan on sharing this room with another couple, don't expect privacy because it would be too hot to shut the door. The restaurant downstairs was passable, was always empty and quite expensive. The game room was pretty old and outdated. Washing machines were rusty. The pool was nice but the view was amazing. You are literally right on the beach. When you sit at the pool, you get the beauty of the ocean and swimming in a pool all at one time. Nice hotel as long as you get nice guests who really aren't the beer pong type. Price wasn't bad at $140.00 per night.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank NewJerseyPalooza
Reviewed August 3, 2009

If you have family members, don't stay here. The motel, (not hotel people) dates back from the 50's and smells like it. When it rained during our stay, I smelled sewage gas coming up from the toilet. The ceiling fan had 30 years worth of dust on them. Ants coming through the front window. Noisy AC. Moldy smell throughout the room. Pay more and stay somewhere else. Your wife will thank you.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family