“needs serious overhaul”
Review of Monterey Resort

Monterey Resort
Ranked #60 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We have stayed at the Monterey for many years. Love the location right on the beach. Front desk is very helpful. The rooms seem to get more and more worn every year. The last trip we brought a 4th person with us, and the living quarters were almost unbearable --- between the loud and leaking a/c system and the stained ceiling, we were kind of embarrassed to have brought our friend there.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MCS1266fun
There are newer reviews for Monterey Resort

Reviewed December 29, 2013

I do not agree with the bad review of this hotel. We had a very pleasant stay and look forward to go back next July. Of course, the manager watches the place, it is her job. But, she is a very nice lady, always smiling. She is always there. So, she is able to guide you in what to see, where to eat... She is very very helfull and she is glad to help. Our room was very clean and renovated. Parking is easy, one for every room, in front of your room, Pool is hot and cleaned every morning, Plenty of chairs. Beside, beach is fantastic. Overall : great place, great location for a great vacation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sylvie L
Reviewed September 2, 2013

My family had the pleasure of staying at the Monterey Resort this past week and honestly it was a great great time. My kids enjoyed the pool and the hotels location right on the beach. Our unit was individually owned and it was perfectly set up for a shore vacation. The beds and room were clean and it included all the household items we would need for our vaca. I have traveled to countless hotels in my lifetime and I just dont get the complaints. Great location,great beach,clean and comfortable accommodations, what else do you need? The grill and common area on right in front of the beach is amazing for a nice barbecue or drink at night. All in all a great experience and happy I didnt listen to the reviews. I have booked the same week for next year and look forward to enjoying WW Crest and the Monterey Hotel.

Room Tip: Bring some good steaks to barbecue pretty much right on the beach.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I have to say, I debated staying here because of the awful reviews, but I am so glad I did!! When I checked in, the clerk wished me a happy birthday (I guess I told her that when I made the reservation- it was just nice that she said that!) We had a wonderful ocean front view. Very, very happy with the staff! The room itself was a little worn, but it's down the shore, so I was actually expecting worse. My room as clean, just a little worn. It was a perfect stay for myself and my son and we weren't really in the room that much anyway. We are going to do this every year!! The indoor and outdoor pool, water park, boardwalk and ocean being "right there" was just.... simply put.... awesome!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Karen B
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Stayed here for two nights with the kids and had a great time by making the best of it. The property is a "motel" and not a "resort" like it's name claims. The best part of this property is it's killer location, literally right on the beach, walk out the property and onto the sand.

Went here with the wife and kids and loved the location, kids had a great time, pool was decent sized for that area and location. This is a very old building in need of plenty of repairs and updates throughout. The units are one bedroom, one living room and small kitchen type condos. Not very large. Bear in mind that each unit is owned by individual owners and hence vary in upgrades and conditions. We stayed in unit 302 which was barely adequate, desperate need of upgrades. It was clean, I'll give them that. However, the kitchen had no dishwasher and we were required to make sure that all dishes were washed of course.... not our idea of fun time, who wants to do dishes on vacation? The coffee maker was broken! The toaster was so old that we had to exercise caution while using it. There was no extra linen for the couch bed and then beds were indeed uncomfortable. I called the front desk to request for linens for the couch bed, but was greeted by a not so friendly front desk lady who runs this property, she never sent the linens to us, we had to go down there are request for them once again (what's with that? who hoards onto linens from hotel guests?? Strange). My wife and I seldom complain and attempt to maintain a positive attitude at all times and hence had a great time by making the best of the pros, such as the location to the ocean, the boardwalk nearby, restaurants, etc.

We booked here since this was the only property in this location that had any rooms left for our dates. One more thing. All guests seemed to congregate outside their respective rooms on plastic patio chairs placed on the balconies. It was different, community feel and lots of repeat guests of many years. Every guest we encountered was very friendly and we made some friends and had good conversations. However if you seek seclusion, this is not your property. This did not bother us, but good for others to know nonetheless.

I give this motel 2 stars simply because of it's seemingly unfair location and general cleanliness of the property. We appreciated that the housekeeping staff was on top of their game by keeping this motel very clean and providing us with plenty of extra towels.

I certainly would not go here again as I do not want to hand wash dirty dishes on my vacation and sleep on beds that only get me more tired.

Room Tip: Each room is individually owned from what I was told and the condition of the rooms vary from one an...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HardWorkingKat
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Our room was really nice- we stayed in 107. But the management woman was HORRIBLE! Very unpleasant, watched our children from the office window and constantly came out yelling at them. We were staying with a group of friends with children who were attending a soccer tournament. She is NOT child friendly. She came out constantly to remind them to put the paddle boards away, not hit the ping pong ball too hard, shut our door immediately after opening, etc......It was a very uncomfortable stay. If you went into the office to ask questions, you felt as if you were bothering her. Never a smile to anyone. It's a shame because the resort is nice. But I would never recommend this place!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Jenboyle
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our stay was ....ok. We had a good view of the ocean but that was the main perk. It rained almost the entire weekend and we had a kitchen with ants roaming about and a bedroom with no working tv. Then, on Sunday, we tried to get in a bit of extra pool time since we hardly got to use it due to rain on Friday and Saturday and we were shoo'ed off the property like criminals. We have two young boys who were dying to get in the pool too. Won't ever go back or recommend it to anyone. Stay far away!!

• Stayed: June 2013