“I love this place!!!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sand Dune Resort Motel
Ranked #39 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed July 21, 2007

This was our second year in a row at the Sand Dune Motel. I absolutely love this place!!! Everyone in the office is so friendly!! The rooms are immaculate!! We have been coming to Wildwood Crest for 14 years, and this by far the best hotel we have stayed at. For the price you pay $145 a night, and it is right on the beach (well, there is a field across the street, then the beach) You cant beat it. Our kids absolutely loved the pool. They even had a pool party on Wednesday night, pool stayed opened until 10pm, and they even had free hotdogs!!! We booked our room for next year!!!

Fabulous job SAND DUNE!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank haalni123

Reviewed December 29, 2006

We had been staying at The Sand Dune for many years, the former manager (from several years back) was always kind and accomodating. The new owners have been running the hotel for a few years now. Our stay with 2 children was the usual stay, rooms were fairly clean and ours had new white wicker furniture. However my sister-in-law visited us from another hotel, she travels with many family members and books several rooms. She inquired at the front desk about reservations for a large family booking of 9 rooms for 1 week and was told that The Sand Dune does not like to rent to large parties of people because they monopolize the pool area, etc. They are very quiet people with several children. We were shocked that the owner would do this, these are nice, well-mannered people who are willing to pay for 9 rooms, that is quite a bit of money. Needless to say based on the rude treatment of my sister-in-law we will be looking for a new hotel after nearly 9 years of staying at the Sand Dune, obviously they feel they can turn business away! !! Also, one of the maids a older lady was always talking to the guests and took too long to make up the rooms, she did this for several days, I noticed this as did several other guests I overheard commenting among themselves about this maid. I am very dissapointed and feel this hotel in the last few years does not value families as patrons. We will now be looking for a new summer vacation spot. -dissapointed mom

7  Thank glenloch
Reviewed August 28, 2006

I agree with another reviewer here who wonders how this hotel got #1 ranking?? I booked this hotel based on the reviews from Trip Advisor travelors, location and price. Afterall, it is #1 on this website. Found out at 5:00 day before we left that THERE IS NO ELEVATOR at this hotel!? Who would think I would need to ASK a question like that when it is the year 2006?!?!?!? I read this info on a newly posted review here; a review that was not here when I booked this room in July! I was literally in tears that night as my mom, age 81 with a heart condition, was coming with us! I called the hotel immediately when I read that, hoping we were on the 1st floor. No, we were going to be on the 3rd floor and after 3 more phone calls to them during the course of that evening, PLEADING with them to change us, there was nothing they could do as the 1st and 2nd floor rooms were kitchen units and were booked months in advance. I called at least 15 other hotels, all were booked. So we went, mom and all, and we dealt as best as we could. Limited mom to 1-2 stair trips/day and took things down for her to change in a horrible bathroom that was located on the side of the building.
I'll do a non-emotional list of pros and cons on this:
Pros:
1. Room was very clean, the cleanest we've seen at this shore point
2. Room was most updated one we've stayed at in 5 years of going to Wildwood Crest
3. Close to beach, but we're used to on the beach and the walk across the street + the walk to the ocean seemed very long...maybe because it was after we hauled all our stuff down the 3 flights of stairs.
4. Two tv's, major cable stations present and HBO, but only on 1 television (?) weird?

Cons:
1. NO ELEVATOR
2. Not on the beach
3. No a/c in front room and the back room got way too cold trying to get the front room cool. I can't imagine being in this room during the heat wave in July!!
4. Bathroom on 1st floor, mainly for pool use, was in horrible condition! Tile missing, dirty, not a sink to use but rather a stationary tub that was filthy from maint. person using it to clean tools, etc. And there was deodorant in there, was someone using it to shower as there was one there??
5. Hard towels, no hand towels
6. Bottom sheet was very small, and was always off the mattress by morning due to tossing and turning during the night. Not a fitted sheet and what seemed like only 1/2 a mattress pad?

I think the NO ELEVATOR issue was MAJOR - people need to be made aware of that prior to arrival! What if we had a truly handicapped person with us? And I'm sure this is not the only hotel like this - guess the Americans with Disabilities Act does not apply to W.W.Crest?? This issue just ruined our whole visit to this hotel. But other than this, I have to admit that it was better than others we've stayed in. I guess the #1 ranking means it's clean and does not smell!

7  Thank rosesmommy
Reviewed August 27, 2006

I brought my five year old daughter, her friend and her mom for a one night stay on a Saturday night. I was told you can't get a room for one night over the weekend but when I called the hotel directly they said they could accomodate me. I hadn't been to Wildwood since I was a kid and wasn't sure what to expect. This motel was great for the price. We stayed in a two room on the 3rd floor. It had two double beds in the back room and a pull out couch in the front plus a table and 4 chairs, small fridge and microwave. The rooms are older but very clean. I especially liked that even though the description states the hotel is block away from the beach, there isn't a hotel in front of you, just an open space area so you can see the ocean and the beach from the patio door. The hotel staff at the front desk was very friendly and even had their three month old grandson with them. The pool was very clean and well kept. We're already talking about going back next year. There are a couple other nicer looking hotels nearby but after checking out the price difference I believe you can't go wrong with the Sand Dune.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Toetoes
Reviewed August 24, 2006

We found the Sand Dune to be clean, quiet and very family-oriented, but how it is number one on this website baffles me. Overall, we had a good stay, but I felt that the hotel was lacking in some ways.

1. Two room suite very small
2. Air conditioner in the back and when I say it was hot, I mean
it was HOT in the front. There was a ceiling fan in the front,
but there was not the ability to open the windows!
3. Very small towels! I'm a small person and I could barely
wrap the towel around my body. Also, no hand towels.

I had one issue and it was addressed immediately, so I would say the staff was great. Cleaning lady did a great job.

If you are on somewhat of a budget this hotel is great.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank Julie T
Reviewed July 29, 2006

We (myself, husband and 2 daughters ages 1 and 5) just came back from 5 nights at the Sand Dune & had a terrific time. We usually stay at one of the more pricey hotels on the beach, but we had to be very budget conscious this year. I have to say the Sand Dune is a terrific value and we will return! It was right across the street from the beach. We had a terrific view (rooms 316 and 317 are around a bend and offer a lot of privacy - they are directly across from the beach). Our room had a refridgerator and microwave, which was plenty as I wasn't planning on cooking. I rented a crib through the front desk (it comes from a third party) and had no problems. The pool was kept very clean and the front desk staff very pleasant. We were right across the street from a bicycle rental and rented a surrey type bike one day. Our room was kept very clean by the housekeeping staff. Very good experience!!!

p.s. The Port Royal, which is across the street had an excellent restaurant where we enjoyed breakfast.

4  Thank Christine0114
Reviewed July 22, 2006

Our recent stay at The Sand Dune was pleasant enough and I agree with previous reviews that it is good for families on a budget and with small children.
The rooms were clean enough, the staff was friendly, and the Maid Service was efficient, and came reasonably early. However, with two teenage kids, it was quite cramped. The sofa bed had a mattress that was way too thin for an adult body to sleep on. There was no central air, just one window unit in the bedroom of our efficiency suite. This made it difficult to cool the living room area. Fortunately, there was a ceiling fan. The kitchenette was adequately equipped and useful. The beds were firm and comfortable, and the bathroom / shower were fine.
Overall, I would say the Sand Dune is a pleasant place and a decent value.
One last note: Be prepared, if you're above the first floor. Because there is no elevator!

Stayed: July 2006