“Filthy”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Sand Dune Resort Motel
Ranked #40 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The motel should be called roach motel. I have been to wildwood for 30 years every summer and I have to say this was the worst experience I've ever had. The rooms weren't clean at all! The carpets weren't vaccumed and had crumbs from the previous people. The refrigerator was not cleaned, toilet broken/ wouldn't flush, faucet falling off in shower, black goo dripping through the ceiling, and the ac unit is only in one room and it's freezing in that room and boiling in the living room. The beds had mattresses with no box springs on boards which were extremely uncomfortable. We had 5 people in our room and occupancy goes up to 6. We went to pull out the sofa be for the 5th person and there was blood! The owner said they only clean it when thy know someone is going to use it and that we could've all squeezed into the two beds! They owners were mean. The pool closes at 7. The maids do not have anything but basic cleaning supplies on their cart to clean if they wanted to. I would recommend to stay far away from
The sand dune hotel! We will never be back and will let everyone know about our awful experience. We would've switched hotels but no where had vacancy to accommodate us and the owners would not refund us anything do I couldn't afford to go anywhere else at that point!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Dompaul1

Reviewed July 14, 2012

We arrived a little earlier than the advertised check-in and we were told our room was ready! Go right up and make yourself at home. The check-in was so easy we were really pleased. Our room was just as we expected. It was clean and spacious. We had a separate living area and 2 double beds. The bathroom was exceptionally clean. Our housekeeping staff was very tidy and friendly. The owners were on sight and made our stay very enjoyable. Very friendly and any question or need we had they answered.

The location was great because we could enjoy the peace and quiet of the Crest, but still go to our favorite spots and leave the noise there when we left.

The pool was fantastic. This is the first time in several years I felt comfortable getting in a pool at the shore, it was clean and very enjoyable!

We have stayed other places and I must say we enjoyed being able to have fun without being monitored... We are booking for next year and plan to bring our friends!

Room Tip: We had a 3rd floor room which I wasn't thrilled about because I hurt my ankle, but I must say, i...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I know, boo hoo.
First the good.
Sand Dune is very reasonably priced. It's clean, great location, you get almost an efficiency in each room even if you don't pay for one (microwave and fridge in every room).
We stayed in the same room two years in a row and our room was right in front of the pool; also just about next to the parking spots as well so checking in and out was super easy.
Both times we visited, we came early and were able to check in well ahead of time because our room was ready. They also have a changing room for before/after check out if you don't want to lose an entire beach day on a day where you're arriving or leaving.
This motel is also very QUIET. It seems as if the same families stay here every year and it's so nice to see that.
There's a nice sun deck and a bbq area as well.
So last year we got a talking to because of our use of spray on sunscreen. I preface this to say that they probably have a point but it felt like a huge reprimand.
Anyhow, before going out, we would put our sunscreen on inside of the room. I've always done this and never had a second thought about it. Apparently, the spray on sunscreen got on the carpet in some areas and also got on the tile floor of the kitchen area making it super slippery. The maid discovered this and couldn't figure out how to get it off of the floor. It was such a to do between us and the maid and the owner that I was beginning to wonder if we were supposed to find some sort of product to get it up or if they were going to charge us for getting it cleaned up.
Then with the carpet--We were reprimanded saying that the carpet was new and that we shouldn't be putting on sunscreen in the rooms because it might ruin the carpet.
Point taken.
But--can you imagine the crap that gets on those carpets in the first place? Between the sand and the pool water and stuff that clings to bear feet, you'd think it would be expected that SOMETHING would get on the carpet.
Anyhow.. it just rubbed me the wrong way because of their approach.
Other than that everyone there has always been very kind and accommodating from making the reservation to checking in, to leaving.
I'd still highly recommend Sand Dune but I'm trying out another place this year. I'm scared they'll remember me and have to supervise our sunscreen application!! ACK!

3  Thank Karen N
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Our stay was enjoyable. Rooms were very clean. Pool was clean and heated. It's would be nice if the pool was open later. Great covered grill area. Close to the beach.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Troutman35
Reviewed September 1, 2011

Nice place. Clean and neat rooms with kitchen eating area plus bedroom. There is a mini golf course on grounds. Not sure if there is a separate charge for that. Nice looking pool. I say nice looking because we didn't use so... Also a small game room on premises with air hockey and video games. Nice owners. One thing I found very annoying was the lack of an ice machine. Ice was available for purchase. This was a big no no to me.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2011

This was a top 5 motel in the Crest a few years ago. Nothing has changed so I'm baffled as to why it has dropped down in the ratings. Its clean and up-to-date. They have a laundry and game room for guests. Free, freshly brewed coffee in the morning. They happily googled a restaurant for me in the office. When I asked for extra towels and Tp they were prompt in delivery. THe pool is well kept and the clientele are polite and quite Although not located on the beach, there is a vacant lot between the beach and the motel. When the A/C is on in the back baedroom you cannot here anything. Bike rental on the corner and the best breakfast at Admirals's on the next corner. I'll be back next year.

1  Thank GardensPlaza74
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed at the Sand Dune again this year for our annual Wildwood Crest vacation. Overall we had a fabulous vacation, but did notice a few issues with the Sand Dune...

Pros:
Value, excellent price for Wildwood Crest, most hotels in the immediate area are
at least $80-$100 more than the Sand Dune.

The outside grounds are very clean, especially around the pool, spotless.

It is right on the beach.

Cons:

The parking spaces are so small. You can easily get a ding or a scratch on your car from someone parked next to you. Our minivan barely fit in the spaces, so we parked on the street every night (Atlantic Ave)

The washer/dryer is so old and in desperate need of an update. I like to pack light, and I usually have to do a couple loads of laundry 1/2 way through our vacation.

The beds are hard, and uncomfortable. It took a few nights to get used to them.

In the two room suites, the air conditioner is only in the back bedroom, so the front room tends to get very warm. So, if someone sleeps in the front room (on the pull out couch) you HAVE to keep the bedroom door open so the air flows out.

Last but not least..... I have read on several reviews here that the owner (the Mr.) is very "stalker" like.. In the past I never noticed it. Well, this year, wow, I noticed it big time. He walks the grounds of the hotel all day long, watching everyone. Seriously watching everyone....We almost felt that if we moved the wrong way he would say something to us. It was weird...

Overall, is it a good value for the price? yes! But, I think we might look for somewhere else to stay next year.

2  Thank haalni123