“Very Disappointed!”

Adventurer Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed June 14, 2006

I just got home and was not impressed. I love Wildwood and go there every year but usually I stay at the Nassau INN...which is great but this year I thought I needed a change so we decided to stay at the Adventurer Inn and we were very disappointed. The room was not what I expected. The airconditioner did not work very well and the cool air never reached the bedroom which was separted by a door that would not close...so there was no privacy. The weirdest part was that the TV did not face the couch but was behind it hanging in the corner. Also the beds were like rocks...I'm still trying to recover. The bathroom was another story. There was no toilet seat, the lights kept flickering and towels were like sandpaper. I never had this problem at the Nassau ...so if you are looking for a good place to stay...do not stay at the terrible Adventurer INN.

• Stayed: June 2006
8  Thank JoviKitten

Reviewed February 8, 2006

Back in June 2005 I wrote a lengthy review of the Starlux Hotel that included a very detailed overview of Wildwood in general. I consider myself a Wildwood expert. I've been coming down here all my life since I was a little boy. And right now it's going through a renaissance that is as great as it is bittersweet. Anyone who knows Wildwood knows Wildwood's real heyday was back in the 50's, when neon, fake palm trees and kitsch of all kinds put Wildwood on the map as if it were a mini-Vegas for working class families. Over time, Wildwood fell into various states of disrepair with many of the motels reflecting Wildwood's notorious run-down, has-been state. Finding a decent, clean motel was not easy, and the best you could hope for rarely would have rated beyond 2 or 3 stars anyplace else in the world. The Morey family was always the rare exception in terms of quality, as they owned the Pan American Hotel, the Port Royal, and of course, Seapointe condominiums. (Most recently adding the Starlux to its portfolio.) So for the last several years I've always stayed in one of their properties. In Wildwood, where the season is short, and money is mostly made between Memorial and Labor days, I always wondered if there were any hotels/motels on par with these finer properties. After all, the Morey properties always tended to sell out the fastest, and they were by far the most expensive in the area.

Enter the Adventurer Inn.

We stayed in a gigantic two bedroom oceanfront suite at the Adventurer Inn over Labor Day weekend 2005, and I am very happy to report that I think it is one of the finest, if not THE finest, hotel in Wildwood Crest. The hotel had apparently gone through a recent renovation, which was clear the minute we entered the suite. The room was immaculate and absolutely enormous. Each bedroom had its own television, with cable, and a third set was perched in living room. The beds, couch, linens, towels, etc. all seemed new and very, very clean. And... the view. Let me tell you something. If you go to Wildwood and spend your hard earned money vacationing there, please make sure you get yourself an oceanfront or oceanview room. The magic of Wildwood comes from it's incredibly vast shoreline. In most places throughout Wildwood, the sand stretches for nearly a quarter-mile or more before it hits the sea. It is absolutely magnificent. And with the large number of oceanfront/oceanview properties that stretch from one end of the city to the other, there is no excuse for staying in a motel set back on the street. (Just my opinion of course, but I think you know what I mean.)

The Adventurer Inn boasts rooms that are all either oceanview or oceanfront. The pool, while a bit smaller than most pools in hotels of equal size, is very clean and spacious enough to accommodate a full house on a hot summer day. And the prices are right. We lucked out on a complete 4-day package that was less expensive than other lesser-quality hotels. And yes -- the end of the boardwalk is literally right next door to the hotel. It's perfect by Wildwood standards.

So like I always say -- do your research, check prices, and don't be afraid to try something new. We did and it really paid off. We will definitely be staying at the Adventurer again this year. Check it out.

36  Thank ckNbrookie
Reviewed January 31, 2006

I'm in love with this Inn, it's great, my family and I look forward to this beautiful place every summer. My family celebrated my sixth year anniversary at the adventurer this past summer with a cake and gifts it was great. The Adventurer Inn is a memorable and great place to stay. This will be our fourth summer coming to the Adventurer, I can't wait. The ocean looks beautiful from this hotel and the boardwalk is right next it. Summer is around the corner and I can't wait.

Stayed: June 2005
10  Thank bananaboat0626
Reviewed August 27, 2005

We had a wonderful week at the Adventurer. Super Clean! Great Customer service and Hotel/Restaurant Staff.Our third floor, 3 room suite was fabulous. Great room layouts, lots of storage and plenty of space for our 2 teens and ourselves. We had the room closest to street so our boardwalk view, was a neck stretch to see the ocean, tho. Great breakfasts at restaurant. Proximity to the boardwalk is alittle more hectic than hotels to the south...but great access to the fun of the boardwalk. Can walk everywhere from the hotel. All 4 of us would recommend the Adventurer and we would definitely return.

Stayed: August 2005
8  Thank palmfam
A TripAdvisor Member
Clifton Park, New York
Reviewed August 25, 2005

Previous to our recent trip to Wildwood and the Adventurer Inn, I couldn't understand why people would return every year to the stay spot for a family vacation. Why not try something new each year? Now I know. Our four-night stay at the Adventurer Inn in a two-room ocean front efficiency was our first family vacation since having our children (ages 2 and 4). We couldn't have been more pleased. Wildwood itself has so much to offer young families. The beach is wide, shallow and free of sharp shells or rocks. There are so many inexpensive places to eat and servers seemed sensitive to making sure food came quickly before the kids got restless. Moreys piers has a lot of rides for little ones and renting the surrey bikes is a great activity for the entire family. The location of the Adventurer Inn is perfect. It is oceanfront and at the very end of the boardwalk. Oceanfront rooms have a great view of the ocean and the boardwalk. All you have to do is walk out the door of the hotel to be at either one. Our room at the Adventurer made the experience even more special. Having the two rooms gave us the freedom to stay up and enjoy some adult time after the kids went to bed, watching movies, playing cards or sitting on the balcony enjoying the view of the moon on the ocean. We had read a recommendation in another review to stuff extra pillows in the open spaces above the room dividing door to keep out the light. It worked great. There was a ceiling fan in the bedroom that would keep the kids cool enough until we went to bed. Then we'd open up the divider door so that the air conditioner could cool both rooms all night. Having the kitchen gave us the option to have leisurely breakfasts in our room while still in our pajamas and pack our own lunch to take the beach in the afternoon. The rooms were spotless and had comfortable furnishings. We really enjoyed the pool. It was never too crowded and was always clean. The shallow children's pool was wonderful for our 2 year old. We found the best time to use the pool was in the evening after dinner. We usually had the pool all to ourselves. All in all, our first family vacation was a wonderful success. We ran out of time to do everything we wanted to do, like the movie on the beach, so we will definitely be returning next year and, hopefully, many more thereafter. We are even going to try to convince a couple of other families to join us. No doubt that we will book another oceanfront room at the Adventurer Inn.

• Stayed: August 2005
14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 14, 2005

I first want to thank everyone here. I read a lot of posts, took the suggestions and my wife and I had a terrific trip. The hotel was nice and clean. Our room was a two room eff. and I was pleased with it. The only complaint I would have is that the pool is too small for the number of guests in the hotel. It got very crowded, so we stayed at the beach a lot.

We ate in the hotel one night and it was ok. We also went to the Lobster House in Cape May, Neil's Steak House (twice my wife really liked it), Uries and Two Mile Landing. All were very good.

We spent most nights on the boardwalk, we liked the whole experience. We also went to one of the waterparks, Splash Zone, it was fun.

A great trip at a nice hotel on a terrific beach, we couldn't ask for more.

7  Thank wtpvideo
A TripAdvisor Member
Marlton, NJ
Reviewed July 26, 2005

The price we paid for our room was about $30 more than on their website (not sure why, but it didn't matter that much to us). Front desk was helpful with questions about our room before we arrived. Parking seemed tight but once we parked we did not move our car for 3 days. The rooms and hotel are very clean. The only issue we had was with the elevator. There are 2 elevators but it seems to take a very long time. The only ramp to get to the elevator is in the garage. With two small children in strollers this was a bit of a hassle. Living about an hour away, we have been coming to Wildwood for years and we loved this location at the end of the boardwalk. Great spot to catch the Tram Car and we found out about some things we probably would have never seen (movies on the beach ...) if we werent at this location. The beach is really wide at this spot - long walk to the water - compared to farther down in the Crest. It seems like Wildwood in general is cleaner than it has been over the last few years and in the middle of a revitaliztion. Overall we had a good stay and enjoyed the hotel, but that elevator...

• Stayed: July 2005