“Location, Quality, Cleanliness - Adventurer Oceanfront Inn has it”

Adventurer Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #4 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Adventurer Oceanfront Inn is a relatively large hotel compared to the many motels in the area. If you’re looking for a more upscale experience in the Wildwood area, this is the place. Yes. It costs more.

Our Stay:
My family stayed the week of Aug 6, 2012. My wife and me, my teenage son and daughter and two of her friends for a total of 6. We stayed in one of the double room suites on the 7th floor. My wife has Multiple Sclerosis and my son is profoundly Autistic; both with mobility challenges.

The only time I interacted with the staff at the front desk was when I checked in and checked out. They were friendly and quick and provided me with discount tickets for the Morey Piers.

This was our first time staying at the hotel and our second time staying in the Wildwood area. I did all the research and booking so I asked my wife to rate her experience, 1 for disgusted, 10 for delighted. She answered 10!

Pros:

Location:
This was a very important factor for us. The hotel is right across the street from the start of the boardwalk tram. Also across the street is the beach. It’s a long walk to the ocean once you hit the sand but at least it’s not a long walk to the sand.

Quality:
I travel frequently for work and have stayed at some of the best resorts around the world. The Adventurer Inn is not at that level. What you have is one of the best hotels of the Jersey Shore. You could pay less per night but then you could also squeeze past chain-smoking guests bar-b-queing on the shared balcony as you go to your room. Having separate balconies and a non-smoking policy is one of the reasons I booked this hotel instead of one of the cheaper motels. With 6 people, we wanted separate rooms and some space. We found the mattresses to be comfortable and the bathrooms roomy and well appointed. The efficiency kitchen and included dinnerware were clean and handy.

The walls between the rooms and the hallway provided an excellent amount of sound insulation. I was surprised since this is a problem in most hotels.

The maid service was efficient and diligent. (Remember, there were three teen girls in one bedroom)

Cleanliness:
I was very satisfied with the cleanliness of the room, the hallways and other locations of the hotel. The basement garage is cramped but there were no service items left in the way of parking. I witnessed the pool being vacuumed each day and a lifeguard who also cleaned up around the pool area. The restaurant is also very clean and I witnessed efforts to keep it that way while there as well.

The cons, if just barely.

The elevators:
I cannot complain about the elevators. When someone has MS, even a slow elevator beats the stairs. From what I understand, the elevators have been improved from the prior year with both speed and air conditioning upgrades. I timed the elevators to approximately 50 seconds from garage to 7th floor without stops. Each stop was roughly 10 seconds. We did not find the wait for elevators to be that much of an inconvenience even on the 7th floor. In fact, if they were faster, people would complain that they were getting jerked around in the elevator. The fact that it went to the basement garage, allowing us to keep the beach umbrellas and chairs in the car, was helpful. The only time the elevators had a significant impact was during the busy check-out time on Saturday morning. At that time I did use the stairs to bring luggage down from the room and then returned upstairs via the steps several times. (Not bad for a 47 year old)

The restaurant:
The restaurant is leased to separate business owner. We had breakfast there but since it was late in the morning most times, some of my party wanted lunch. Ergo, brunch. However, the kitchen does not start serving lunch items (ie Chicken Strips, hamburgers) until noon. Some claim the restaurant is expensive but again, I draw your attention to location. Serving food across the street from the beach is always more expensive than serving food blocks away no matter where in the world you are.

Though I’m thinking about renting a condo or townhouse next summer, the location of the Adventurer Inn can’t be beat. My experience was quite positive making it likely we’ll be back again.

Room Tip: The 7th floor rooms have central air conditioning and were quite comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MikeMcGInNJ
There are newer reviews for Adventurer Oceanfront Inn

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Well, during our past weekend stay in the Crest... we chose to take a walk into the adventurer and around their CRYSTAL CLEAR, gorgeous pool. The staff was helpful, kind, and very warm and friendly... (we didnt really stay here, but this review is more about the first impression and the GREAT breakfast we had on Saturday AM - so i hope this "goes through".

My rule of thumb at the shore is to TRULY make time/room for a nice, early "Shore Diner" breakfast. Our friends overheard that the Adventurer's restaurant was really good, so we went for a nice filling breakfast. Nothing unusual or over the top, ... just clean, pleasant, and having that pleasant "aroma" of a shore diner – cant explain it, but for over 20 years I can tell you it's a certain heartwarming "smell" - ahh. Our breakfasts were perfect, the portions filling, the service perfect... and our view from our table was great! (Beach, ocean... ahh....)

I was impressed by the meal, the property, and staff. Oh, and the pool lools so cool at night. Reminds me of how lots of the places looked when I was a kid doing the walk back from the boards at night... all lit up, dreamy and ... well, ... WILDWOOD!

Room Tip: Stop by and ask the staff for some literature or info if youre considering! They're pleasant an...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The staff here won't put up with any behavior that would be disturbing to other guests, which is why I've been coming to the Adventurer for over 25 years. I still remember when the tram car cost 50 cents. This is first (or last) hotel on the boardwalk, and is right by a Dairy Queen, which is the perfect ending to a perfect day. When we stayed this year, we asked at the desk if they could arrange a cab for us to take us to a restaurant. The staff couldn't have been more obliging. They also provided us with coupons for discounts for the boardwalk, and savings for Morey's Pier. The pool area tends to fill up quickly, but there is plenty of room (with shade) on the upper deck, and is very relaxing. There is a long walk from the hotel to the actual ocean, but there is a hose to wash the sand off from your feet and belongings. The restaurant staff and food were excellent, especially breakfast. The rooms themselves are very clean, spacious, beds comfortable, and large. The only criticism I have is that the elevators, as with most Wildwood hotels, are insanely slow. We stayed on the 5th floor, so we walked most of the time. Yes, parking is tight, especially if you have a full size car, but it's not a major issue. The rooms have balconies, and it's up to you what you want to see: the pool, the ocean, the boardwalk. We are going back this October, when the crowds have gone,but just about everything is still open. Good job, Adventurer Inn. Keep it up.

Room Tip: Its up to you. All the rooms are quiet, clean and offer different views, if that's important to...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BIKERX1013
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We've been coming to Wildwood for about 30 years. Most of time we have stayed at the Adventurer. Their 2 room efficiency units provide a nice amount of space. The balcony offers a view of the ocean. My only complaint is the pillows. But, I'm usually not happy with hotel pillows. We'll be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mosslady53
Reviewed August 5, 2012

See my earlier review last year. Have stayed here for many years. Last year was just a bit disappointing. Stayed in the same room this year that had the Air Conditioning problem last year and this year everything was back to the great way it has been in the past.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank googoodoll1020
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Just got back from my first stay at The Adventurer. I stayed with my mother and 3 sisters for a week. Pros: Hotel staff is wonderful. Rooms are clean. Comfortable beds. Sun/Shade deck overlooking pool and ocean and plays classic rock is awesome. We used that deck a lot - to eat take-out, lay out in the sun or play cards. Location of hotel is perfect. Right smack at the beginning of boardwalk. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. My favorite restaurant is Aqua Beach Cafe right across from the hotel. Food there is delicious. The only minor complaint I have is the elevators are very, very slow. Not a huge deal for us because we were on the 3rd floor and took the stairs most of the week. However if you are on the upper floors, I can't imagine not being highly annoyed waiting around for the elevator. However, we didn't have a big problem because we took the stairs, so I'm not going to fault the hotel for the elevator. There were some minor glitches at the hotel, but staff took care of any glitches right away. If you aren't a complete "diva" you will love this hotel. I would definitely come back to The Adventurer, but I personally would not stay on the upper floors. To be fair, I've read other reviews by guests who stayed in the Penthouse and they didn't mention the elevators so maybe it's not a problem for others like it might be for me.

Room Tip: For me, I wouldn't stay higher than the 3rd floor because of the slow elevators.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank GlenmooreTravel
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went to Wildwood with my 2 young daughters after having vacationed there 30 years ago as a child. Used Trip Advisor religiously to find a good hotel, and boy did it pay off! We ended up at the Adventurer and couldn't be happier with our choice. The staff was beyond accomodating, the rooms very clean and spacious, and location was ideal for our needs -- close to beach and boardwalk. We've already planned a return trip in 2 weeks but they were booked, so we have to go elsewhere. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to get around on foot and leave the car in the parking lot. Also anyone unfamilair with Wildwood that wants a great hotel at a desirable price.

The only downside was the limited number of elevators. We were only on the 3rd floor but with so many rooms, everyone seemed to take them. On our check out day we had to ride it up just to go down, since it was constantly full -- mostly w/people who could have taken the stairs since they were w/out luggage.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Boardwalk are great for "people watching"!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 7 in Lower Township
Olympic Beach Resort
Olympic Beach Resort
#18 of 68 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Adventurer Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!