“Jersey Shore chic, but not "Jersey Shore"”

Adventurer Oceanfront Inn
Ranked #2 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Jackson Heights, New York
“Jersey Shore chic, but not "Jersey Shore"”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The staff here won't put up with any behavior that would be disturbing to other guests, which is why I've been coming to the Adventurer for over 25 years. I still remember when the tram car cost 50 cents. This is first (or last) hotel on the boardwalk, and is right by a Dairy Queen, which is the perfect ending to a perfect day. When we stayed this year, we asked at the desk if they could arrange a cab for us to take us to a restaurant. The staff couldn't have been more obliging. They also provided us with coupons for discounts for the boardwalk, and savings for Morey's Pier. The pool area tends to fill up quickly, but there is plenty of room (with shade) on the upper deck, and is very relaxing. There is a long walk from the hotel to the actual ocean, but there is a hose to wash the sand off from your feet and belongings. The restaurant staff and food were excellent, especially breakfast. The rooms themselves are very clean, spacious, beds comfortable, and large. The only criticism I have is that the elevators, as with most Wildwood hotels, are insanely slow. We stayed on the 5th floor, so we walked most of the time. Yes, parking is tight, especially if you have a full size car, but it's not a major issue. The rooms have balconies, and it's up to you what you want to see: the pool, the ocean, the boardwalk. We are going back this October, when the crowds have gone,but just about everything is still open. Good job, Adventurer Inn. Keep it up.

Room Tip: Its up to you. All the rooms are quiet, clean and offer different views, if that's important to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BIKERX1013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Myerstown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We've been coming to Wildwood for about 30 years. Most of time we have stayed at the Adventurer. Their 2 room efficiency units provide a nice amount of space. The balcony offers a view of the ocean. My only complaint is the pillows. But, I'm usually not happy with hotel pillows. We'll be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mosslady53
Upstate NY
Reviewed August 5, 2012

See my earlier review last year. Have stayed here for many years. Last year was just a bit disappointing. Stayed in the same room this year that had the Air Conditioning problem last year and this year everything was back to the great way it has been in the past.

1 Thank googoodoll1020
Glenmoore, pa
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Just got back from my first stay at The Adventurer. I stayed with my mother and 3 sisters for a week. Pros: Hotel staff is wonderful. Rooms are clean. Comfortable beds. Sun/Shade deck overlooking pool and ocean and plays classic rock is awesome. We used that deck a lot - to eat take-out, lay out in the sun or play cards. Location of hotel is perfect. Right smack at the beginning of boardwalk. Lots of restaurants within walking distance. My favorite restaurant is Aqua Beach Cafe right across from the hotel. Food there is delicious. The only minor complaint I have is the elevators are very, very slow. Not a huge deal for us because we were on the 3rd floor and took the stairs most of the week. However if you are on the upper floors, I can't imagine not being highly annoyed waiting around for the elevator. However, we didn't have a big problem because we took the stairs, so I'm not going to fault the hotel for the elevator. There were some minor glitches at the hotel, but staff took care of any glitches right away. If you aren't a complete "diva" you will love this hotel. I would definitely come back to The Adventurer, but I personally would not stay on the upper floors. To be fair, I've read other reviews by guests who stayed in the Penthouse and they didn't mention the elevators so maybe it's not a problem for others like it might be for me.

Room Tip: For me, I wouldn't stay higher than the 3rd floor because of the slow elevators.
4 Thank GlenmooreTravel
Florham Park, New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Went to Wildwood with my 2 young daughters after having vacationed there 30 years ago as a child. Used Trip Advisor religiously to find a good hotel, and boy did it pay off! We ended up at the Adventurer and couldn't be happier with our choice. The staff was beyond accomodating, the rooms very clean and spacious, and location was ideal for our needs -- close to beach and boardwalk. We've already planned a return trip in 2 weeks but they were booked, so we have to go elsewhere. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to get around on foot and leave the car in the parking lot. Also anyone unfamilair with Wildwood that wants a great hotel at a desirable price.

The only downside was the limited number of elevators. We were only on the 3rd floor but with so many rooms, everyone seemed to take them. On our check out day we had to ride it up just to go down, since it was constantly full -- mostly w/people who could have taken the stairs since they were w/out luggage.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the Boardwalk are great for "people watching"!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank STA22
Rockaway, New Jersey
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We've stayed at the Adventurer for many years. There renovations do not go unnoticed. Nice rooftop deck overlooking pool and beach. It was nice laying out on the deck listening to SAT classic rock music on the sound system, watching my children sitting under the overhang in the shade playing cards and seeing the beautiful beach in front of us. We stayed in the penthouse suite and what can I say, beautiful. Clean, three flat screen tv's, great staff, polite, and could'nt ask for better. Great value for location and quality of stay. Keep up the good work Adventurer.

2 Thank Ohstewart
USTravelers10
Reviewed July 4, 2012

For smokers: You aren't permitted to smoke on your private balcony even though there is a door that blocks the smoke from entering the room. I was unaware of this when I booked and found out when I asked for an ashtray for the balcony. I never smoke inside a house or hotel room because I don't like the lingering stench and don't want to expose non-smokers to it, but to say a guest can't smoke on the balcony is ridiculous. Do they really expect that smokers should leave their rooms and walk off the premises to smoke a cigarette, especially at night? When I was made aware of this strange rule, I was told that if I do smoke on the balcony and the maid smells the smoke the next day on the drapes, etc. that I would lose my deposit. MINUS ONE STAR for ridiculous rule that made my stay stressful and inconvenient.

During out stay (this was a couple of years ago), there was some type of very large family reunion. We were there during the off season for the Monster Truck races. The reunion was set up in the downstairs lounge area meaning that other guests couldn't use that area even though it is a common area for all guests. They hogged the room for 2 consecutive days and were LOUD and intoxicated to the point of disturbing guests. We aren't fuddy duddies by any stretch of the imagination and don't mind normal loud noise, but this was out of control big time. They partied way into the night and you could hear them yelling even with the door closed. At about 1:00am, a fight broke out between family members and one of the drunks was yelling something about killing himself. Like I said - out of control. I called to report the fight (the first time I ever called staff to report anything while staying at a hotel), and they said that others were complaining too and would address the issue. Apparently, they were unable to control these wild people, because the yelling didn't stop. MINUS ONE STAR because maybe if I could have smoked, my nerves wouldn't have been so rattled.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
#5 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
#4 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Adventurer Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!