“Nightmare at the Beach Coloney Motel”

Beach Colony Resort Motel
Long Island City, New York
“Nightmare at the Beach Coloney Motel”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

After a much excited anticipation of our family vacation, it went down hill as soon as we check-in in this motel!
I would always booked our Wildwood vacation and every year we always have a nice stay in other hotels. This year, because we had our family pet, my sister took care of booking since she's the one who wants to stay in a pet friendly hotel.
My husband and I normally get a puppy sitter but my sister and her family who are also coming with us decided to take her dog and since we got ours too, we all decided to go along with my other cousins (who doesn't have pets but since we want to be together, they book the same hotel). The other half of our extended family who didn't have pets were booked a hotel nearby...
As soon as we checked-in, Lola (the owner) had all this rules and regulations posted all over the hotel area (all hand written). She told us to pay a balance which was not the original balance she told us and long story short, we had proof that we were right and so she gave us a refund on the difference (strike one)...then she kept coming in our room to count how many people is staying inside (strike two). We were cooking downstairs by the pool (grilling) and she came out saying that we cannot make noise (we weren't) and as we stayed thru the 10 o'clock mark, she closed the lights and put a chain on the grill (3rd strike). We told her that our other relatives are coming from the other hotel to visit and warned her ahead of time that we will not make noises, they are coming just to greet us and we will go somewhere to do our stuff but as soon as she saw them, she came out and kick them all out! You could just see the shocked and embarrassment we had!!!! We were going to leave and get refund but NOOOOO we cannot do that so we were STUCKED there! The hotel rooms are run downed! i Mean REALLY RUN DOWN! as if you were staying in Back to the Future 1950's flashback! It was horrible! The bathroom doors are vibrating sounds that almost sounded like someone is trying to break in while you're inside. We were charged an ocean view rate but there is no view bec. there is another condo build right next to this motel and our view is the condo! Maybe it was an ocean view when Lola was 15 yrs old! now she's in her 80"s-at least that's how she looks like! The water in the shower is too HOT and you have to run it for few minutes to get an even hot and cold! We ended up showering in my other relative's hotel!...my sister felt really bad. This is the very first time she booked for us and this is what we got (i don't know how many strike there is now). When we left, we just left without checking out (oh! we cannot do that bec. Lola just don't want our business anymore, she has another handwritten sign to just leave the keys in the mail box!)....Oh! what a vacation!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
8 Thank emerina

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 24, 2010

BEACH COLONY IS A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE PLACE!!!! If spending a night at the BATES MOTEL is your cup of tea, then the Beach Colony Motel in Wildwood Crest is the place for you. The owner/operator, Lola, is as KOOKY and CREEPY as they come. We are middle class people and wanted to take our child and our family dogs, for a simple affordable vacation. We have no problem staying in average motel rooms but this place was off the charts horrendous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On our 3 hour journey to the Beach Colony, we decided to call ahead to cofirm our reservation. We called for hours and no one would answer the phone and there was no answering machine to leave a message. This should have been accepted as a bad omen of terrible things to come. I also should have taken a cue from the fact that Lola would only take a check for down payment and cash for the $400 balance. This is unheard of in any hotel or motel and a red flag should have gone up right then and ther. We decided on the Beach Colony because they advertise as pet friendly. Well let me tell you, they are NOT!!! KOOKY LOLA didn't like our big dog from the get go (he is as gentle as he is big.) She kept making rude comments that he might intimidate the other guests dogs. Yet LOLA's 2 German Shepherds were allowed to run at large from morning to night time with no supervision and free reign of the entire motel compound. We ignored LOLA's rudeness and made our way to our room; and what a shocker that was. The room was deplorable and filthy and obviously Wildwood Crest doesn't inspect anything because if they did, it would have been condemned long ago. The floor was commercial flooring that appeared to be 50 years old and never received a coat of wax or a cleaning. It was so disgusting that we were afraid to walk on it with our bare feet, as were our two dogs. There was no carpeting in the room whatsoever. Then to our horror, we discovered that there is a door that opens and leads right into the adjoining motel room. Not safe at all. I'm a police officer and was very concerned that someone would have easy access to our room and our valuables if we left the room. Upon arrival, Lola issued us a key instead of a modern barcode card, which is standard with all motels in this high tech day and age. So the thought that someone could easily make a copy of our room key prior to our arrival had us concerned to say the least. The curtains and bed spread were circa 1950 and came complete with complimentary sand in the bed sheets. The refrigerator did not keep anything cold even on the highest setting. It was disgusting inside and appeared to be as ancient and run down as Lola, with broken food drawers inside and no light bulb. The microwave had exposed metal on several spots which is dangerous. The tub was disgusting and we would not even take a bath or a shower in it. The bathroom was old and run down with a dirty window and screen leading directly into the shower. The desk/tv stand and bed must have been 50 years old. The TV was a small 19" that must have been 20 years old and most of the channels weren't accessible because the Beach Colony hasn't added the digital cable box that is necessary to receive digital channels. You can forget a telephone because there was none. Our child was more horrified by the deplorable condition of the room than we were and we tried to make the best of it for one night but decided after one horrible night, it was time to go home. I might add that there was a stairwell fairly close to our room and all night(even after 3AM) we were awakened by people running up and down the stairs as if it were the middle of the day. The next morning we packed everything up hours before checkout and I kindly asked Lola for a refund and she rudely refused. Although we are not rich people and really couldn't afford to lose nearly $400 for the other 2 nights that I paid for already, we felt it best to leave immediately than stay one more night in this LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. We have unintentionally stayed at a few undesirable motels over the years but none could compare with the Beach Colony. How they are still open is beyond me... but one look at the other clientele that had been staying at the Beach Colony gave us our answer. I was embarrassed that I had subjected my family to a one night stay at a place as horrible as this. Please do yourself and your family a favor and DO NOT BOOK A ROOM AT THIS RATHOLE OF A MOTEL!!! I just hope by writing this review that I can HELP SOME OTHER PERSON NOT TO MAKE THE SAME TERRIBLE MISTAKE THAT WE DID BY STAYING THERE. We love our pets to death and would never subject them to staying in a horrible place like this again. How someone could give this place a positive rating can only be explained that probably, the staff are putting positive reviews on here to counter the true reviews so they can keep their sinking ship of a motel afloat.The pictures on the website must have been doctored up with photoshop or taken years ago because they are not a true depiction of how horrendous and run down the Beach Colony truely is. Good riddance to Beach Colony and hopefully everyone else can learn from our horrible mistake of staying there!! Run away, run as fast as you can!!!

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
15 Thank HateBeachColony

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 3, 2010

Since we are back at home instead of the shore I'll resubmit a review I sent yestereday of our adventure of the Beach Colony in Wildwood NJ. .I called and booked our July 2,3 & 4 vacation in early May and was never asked for a deposit. I called again/gave my name to reassure on June 28 and was told all was okay. On our way to the hotel July 2 we were held up in traffic, called/ fgave my name and were thanked for calling. When we arrived the manager was gone, we waited a half hour till she came back and told us she had sold our room. Unbelivable!!...until you meet and talk to Lola the owner who is about as run down as the town of Wildwood and still preying on the summer tourist trade. She suggested the Surf 16 uptown who were asking $173 per night, %14 tax and a 3 night minimum. Looked like a Crackhouse room with a pool.
We headed home the same night.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank mikesites
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 2, 2010

My Girlfreind, our dog and I were looking to spend the 4th of July weekend at a pet friendly hotel in Wildwood and after seeing somewhat favorable reviews on the Beach Colony called and booked a room two months prior to July 4th weekend. I asked Lola Jay (website says she is the owner) if a deposit was nessecary and was told no. It was agreed we would stay July 2, 3 & 4 for the advertised price. I called a week before July 4th weekend to assure our reservation was still okay and she told us it was. We headed down the shore Friday the 2nd, got caught in traffic and called Lola Jay to say we would be late. She said okay and thanks for calling. When we arrived, there was no one at the front desk but after waiting a half hour Lola arrived, went into her office and said our room was booked and nothing was available!!!! I explained I had already called her 3 times to assure our reservation okay and was told I didn't put a deposit on the room....I said "You told us it wasn't nessecary"!!! She apologized and suggested the Surf 16 in North Wildwood. We drove there and were told there was one room available @ $173 per night plus 14% tax with a 3 night minimum. After seeing the shabby lobby of the Surf 16 I asked if we could see the room prior to book, we did and it was disguting. Looked like an upscale Crackhouse with a pool.
We drove home the same night

6 Thank mikesites
Reviewed June 1, 2010

If taking my dog with me I will definitely stay there again. It's pet friendly, a big plus for me. Room smell a little, but overall a good stay.
Loved the pool and the BBQ area by the pool.

• Stayed July 2010
Belleville, NJ
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Ok, so I'm just recently getting acquainted with pet friendly motels, so perhaps I should rate the Beach Colony on a different scale, but I honestly don't see much of a difference between this place and all the other motels in Wildwood that should be condemned. I've been staying in Wildwood every year for the past 20+ years (since I was a baby) and I understand nostalgia should account for something, but when it comes to motel accommodations, places need to at least provide the basics.

The laminate flooring was a plus for the pets, since other pet friendly motels tend to have horribly stained and musty smelling carpets. So the only good thing I can say about this place is that it didn't smell like mildew. (is that really a plus though? it should be expected!)

From there, its all downhill. Pet friendly, great, but $18 per dog per night is a bit much. Suggestion to the owners: take a deposit and if anything is damaged THEN keep it.

We booked because on the website (and yes its still on their website) it says for the weekend we're staying:
Two Full American Breakfasts - Choice of menu
1 Dinner from a selection of Wildwood's finest restaurants
When we arrived, Lola said "oh we gave all those out already". Wonderful false advertising Lola, thanks a bunch. We didn't press the issue because we did believe she gave all of them away and I was sure there'd be no compensation to us for it.

The rooms had terribly thin walls. We stayed in Room #4 near the stairs which wouldn't have been bad, but the beneath the window are these slats that don't close all the way. So anyone walking by the room sounds like they're actually in the room. Cigarette smoke comes in freely and voices can be heard quite clear. There is a paper thin adjoining door to the next room over and their TV came in loud and clear throughout the night. Sound in a motel is too be expected, but when you have dogs who will bark at every loud noise they hear, it makes for a sleepless night. Have a couple of those in a row and you'll need a vacation just for a your vacation.

The bathroom is pretty standard except again we find the slat type window in the shower and it doesn't close all the way. No one can see in, but the shower curtain is drawn to the window and will repeatedly attack you. The door sticks. We had to throw a shoulder into the door to get it to open. The cleaning people never realized this? Also the towels are so thin you can see through them and they're very scratchy.

Please update your place or sell it to a condo developer and have them put this place out of its (and everyone who stays here's) misery.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tshaffery
newton,N.J.
Reviewed August 11, 2009

We went to wildwood for the firemens convention in sept. we stayed at Beach Colony . WE LOVED IT. we have 5 pups that are our pride and joy so to be able to take them is the BEST. Lola welcomed us with open arms and her pups were VERY friendly and well behaved.The rooms were great ,house keeping were like family.the week there was fun the pool and the other guest were great . Everyone gets along like family. This year we are going back and we even have friends that booked a room there too. Can't wait. to see Lola and Pups again.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
#11 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Jolly Roger Motel
Jolly Roger Motel
#22 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Beach Colony Resort Motel? Share your experiences!