“The Worst Resort I've Ever Stayed At!"”
Review of El Coronado Resort

El Coronado Resort
Ranked #9 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed August 15, 2006

This place isn't a Resort, it's a dive! I've always known the Wildwoods to be run down, but the El Coronado isn't able to go down hill any further, it's at the bottom of the hill. Nothing works in this place, and I mean nothing! From the elevators to the cable in the building, nothing works. They give you about 10 TV channels, and that's it! The elevators stop and jump around, one almost feels as if they will drop at any moment. Do yourself a favor and use the stairs. The washers and dryers don't work, and the ice machine hasn't ice in it, but mold. The place reaks of staleness and mold. This place isn't worth anyones hard earned money. Stay anywhere in the Wildwoods, but not here! What a sham!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
6  Thank TheBoyWonder

Reviewed August 15, 2006

Things that were positives about El Coronado:
The pool was pretty nice and nice area to dry off and view ocean.
The restaurant was nice and food was very good. Could dine in or dine outside. Nice people working there.
Room had a pretty good view. Not too noisy.

Negatives:
Television was horrible. Worst tv I have ever seen. Everything was red and black. Most channels were just dark.
Towells were super thin and very small and there were not enough of them. Had to request more twice.
Shower was awful. It was just a spicket spraying all over the place. Needed a shower head.
Toilet flushed, but then you had to wait a while to flush again.
Sliding glass door to balcony was open when we arrived (not locked). Water bottle was on the night table when we arrived.

People at front desk were not super-friendly, but not mean either.
Lots of condos being built so there was hammering during the day which was a little annoying.
Elevators were warm.
The a/c in the room went on and off. Could not have a steady fan.
Bed was old. Thin mattress. Not very comfortable.
This is Wildwood so this still is better than most hotels because of the restaurant and balconies. Game room was pretty good if you have kids that like that stuff.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank gmo709
Reviewed August 5, 2006

My wife and I checked into the El Coronado on Saturday, July 29, checking out on Saturday, August 5. This is our 3rd time staying at this property. Our prior 2 stays were for Memorial Day weekend packages. We had tried to get into the Lampliter Oceanside Resorts in Wildwood Crest (which my parents have stayed at for the past 25 years now and is a gem -- clean, on the beach, huge pool, reasonable prices -- but we couldn't get in so I decided to go gack to El Coronado).

The pros: the location on the beach is very good and relatively quiet. Personally, I think the further away from Wildwood proper the better. The room itself was very nice for a Wildwoods room -- it was relatively large, very clean, with an updated kitchenette. Pool area was very nice in and of itself, with poolside lunch service (more about that later). The coffee shop's food was excellent both times we ordered it poolside (try the chicken fingers and cheese steak!). Private balconies were large and angled to view the ocean. Check in and check out were smooth. Housekeeping was always very prompt and did a great job. Free pool towels -- a common amenity in resorts all over the world, a RARITY in the Wildwoods. Free Internet station in the lobby, and a great game room.

The cons: pool area, while aesthetically pleasing, is not big enough for the size of the hotel (it probably would have been better before they added on those additional 15 suites).Getting a chair was impossible unless you reserved a chair with your towel. There are no umbrellas or anythign to provide shade in the pool area, so you get nonstop sun. That bridge over the pool is a nuisance! It looks cute but for whatever reason kids (and plenty of big kids, aka adults) feel the need to hang onto it, do chinups and pullups on it, and congregate under it, congesting the center of the pool. Parking was very tight and there were always unusable spaces because people can't park. The elevators were very slow and felt worn. Hallways were ok given the traffic they get with everyone coming in wet from the pool/beach but could have been brighter.

I guess when all is said and done, the El Coronado is very nice by Wildwoods standards, but could be better. Given how cramped I always felt there (between fighting for parking spaces, pool chairs, and elevators), I might try a higher ranked smaller place next time. But I certainly would also go back to El Coronado and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Brian874
Reviewed July 30, 2006

My extended family has been staying at this hotel for many years. When we first started coming here it was a great place to stay, but I'm sorry to say that it has gone downhill. Our hotel room this year had mold growing on one of the dressers and the ceiling in the bathroom looked like it could come down at any minute. In fact, half way through our visit a 2 foot metal rod actually fell from our ceiling and landed in the bathtub! Thank goodness no one was in the shower at the time. The shower was also horrible. The water temperature was not stable at all. It would go from scalding hot to freezing cold without even turning the knob. (This was not just a problem in our room, we overheard other guests complaining to the front desk about this too). They were also quite stingy on the towels. Everyday we had to track down the maids to request more. The only positive aspects of this hotel is it's close proximity to the beach and the good food it serves in the restaurant. Next year we will be staying elsewhere, but will visit the restuarant.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
7  Thank elbelle77
Reviewed July 16, 2006

We stayed during 4th of July week 2006. Upon check in I found the hotel to be better than others I have stayed in at the Jersey shore. The good points are the location which is right on the beach, the coffee shop which offers an excellent breakfast and friendly service, the complimentary internet service and paper, the pool is huge and great to swim in except when people are continuously diving in the deep end, the only thing I did not like about the pool was its either 3ft or 9ft no inbetween, and the 9ft is a constant divers delight. I loved the room set-up and the private balcony overlooking the ocean was my favorite. The downside to our stay was the putric smelling pillows and filthy sheets that were NEVER changed and only exchanged with the bed next it. ( I know because I had the same stain on my pillowcase for 5 nights, I put my own t-shirt over the pillow to kill the smell) and there was a big dirty stain on the quilt that covers the bed, very nasty. I left a nice note in the room and extra $$$ for the maids to remedy the situation without having to complain, but I dont think they understand the message. The elevators are horrible, either broken or slow and can throw your back out when they stop. I found the front desk people nice at first but dirty side glances throughout the stay. I might stay there again with my own set of sheets and my own pillow and on a lower floor. The packages they offer seem great and the prices while high are comparable to every other hotel in wildwood.

5  Thank Angelbysea
A TripAdvisor Member
Jackson,nj
Reviewed July 13, 2006

I read trip advisor while looking for a hotel in Wildwood. In spite of a few awful reviews, we chose the hotel because it promised to have the things we thought important 1) toddler pool, oceanfront-direct access to beach, onsite lounge-breakfast, swimming pool and a beach side lounge area.

After almost passing the hotel because its now freshly painted blue (not white like their website), we were pleasantly surprised by the polite staff, quick and easy check in. The room was fine, clean and as good as it gets when it comes to Wildwood hotels.

There was new carpet in the hallways, the showers & bathrooms worked fine, the entire pool area was cleaned each morning. We called for 2 minor things (a light being out and clogged sink) one of which was my fault (the lamp was unplugged) and the other was just that the previous guests must have played with the sink stop and it wasn't in completely right... but they dispatched a worker within minutes of calling and he also brought up some extra pillows for us.

Later in the night our daughter made a mess of the bed (she got sick).. and again, within minutes, they sent up somebody with clean sheets and pillows to replace.

Housekeeping cleaned the room to our liking. While the hotel is not a 5 star luxury hotel, from seeing and visiting others while on our trip, I would rate in the top 5, maybe top 3 in wildwood.

The only problem we experienced that was mentioned previously was the sometimes hot-cold showers, but only when the last person in line was using the shower.

If not for the fact that we still want to check out 2 other local hotels (pan-american & port royal) we would surely come back to el coronado.. Maybe not next time, but definitely again.

I would assume that the new management has corrected any previously mentioned prior-management issues or transition issues others may have complained about.

gokidsnj

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We recently stayed and this hotel and had a very pleasant experience. We were originally scheduled to stay at the end of June but my son got ill so we had to cancel. We were informed that we would lose our deposit which was explained to us when we originally scheduled the vacation. This past weekend I called and asked if there was any availability and there was. I then explained what happened a couple of weeks agao and asked if my forfeited deposit could be applied to this vacation and after spending a couple of minutes on hold Vicki came back on and told me they would be happy to do that for us provided were were staying at least two nights. I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased. The room we had was clean although I would say that there are updates that need to be done. That being said, I have stayed in worse. It is typical of a beach resort. The pool had a lifeguard on duty that was very nice and played with the kids. There seemed to be constant maintenance people around and work being done. Obviously, they are trying to work out the problems. I will certainly stay there again!

3  Thank momsrule27
#33 of 68 in Wildwood Crest
Adventurer Oceanfront Inn
Adventurer Oceanfront Inn
#4 of 68 in Wildwood Crest

Been to El Coronado Resort? Share your experiences!