“First time staying there, nice, but could improve more”
Review of El Coronado Resort

El Coronado Resort
Ranked #10 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
NJ
“First time staying there, nice, but could improve more”
Reviewed July 16, 2006

We stayed during 4th of July week 2006. Upon check in I found the hotel to be better than others I have stayed in at the Jersey shore. The good points are the location which is right on the beach, the coffee shop which offers an excellent breakfast and friendly service, the complimentary internet service and paper, the pool is huge and great to swim in except when people are continuously diving in the deep end, the only thing I did not like about the pool was its either 3ft or 9ft no inbetween, and the 9ft is a constant divers delight. I loved the room set-up and the private balcony overlooking the ocean was my favorite. The downside to our stay was the putric smelling pillows and filthy sheets that were NEVER changed and only exchanged with the bed next it. ( I know because I had the same stain on my pillowcase for 5 nights, I put my own t-shirt over the pillow to kill the smell) and there was a big dirty stain on the quilt that covers the bed, very nasty. I left a nice note in the room and extra $$$ for the maids to remedy the situation without having to complain, but I dont think they understand the message. The elevators are horrible, either broken or slow and can throw your back out when they stop. I found the front desk people nice at first but dirty side glances throughout the stay. I might stay there again with my own set of sheets and my own pillow and on a lower floor. The packages they offer seem great and the prices while high are comparable to every other hotel in wildwood.

5 Thank Angelbysea

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Reviewed July 13, 2006

I read trip advisor while looking for a hotel in Wildwood. In spite of a few awful reviews, we chose the hotel because it promised to have the things we thought important 1) toddler pool, oceanfront-direct access to beach, onsite lounge-breakfast, swimming pool and a beach side lounge area.

After almost passing the hotel because its now freshly painted blue (not white like their website), we were pleasantly surprised by the polite staff, quick and easy check in. The room was fine, clean and as good as it gets when it comes to Wildwood hotels.

There was new carpet in the hallways, the showers & bathrooms worked fine, the entire pool area was cleaned each morning. We called for 2 minor things (a light being out and clogged sink) one of which was my fault (the lamp was unplugged) and the other was just that the previous guests must have played with the sink stop and it wasn't in completely right... but they dispatched a worker within minutes of calling and he also brought up some extra pillows for us.

Later in the night our daughter made a mess of the bed (she got sick).. and again, within minutes, they sent up somebody with clean sheets and pillows to replace.

Housekeeping cleaned the room to our liking. While the hotel is not a 5 star luxury hotel, from seeing and visiting others while on our trip, I would rate in the top 5, maybe top 3 in wildwood.

The only problem we experienced that was mentioned previously was the sometimes hot-cold showers, but only when the last person in line was using the shower.

If not for the fact that we still want to check out 2 other local hotels (pan-american & port royal) we would surely come back to el coronado.. Maybe not next time, but definitely again.

I would assume that the new management has corrected any previously mentioned prior-management issues or transition issues others may have complained about.

gokidsnj

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2006

We recently stayed and this hotel and had a very pleasant experience. We were originally scheduled to stay at the end of June but my son got ill so we had to cancel. We were informed that we would lose our deposit which was explained to us when we originally scheduled the vacation. This past weekend I called and asked if there was any availability and there was. I then explained what happened a couple of weeks agao and asked if my forfeited deposit could be applied to this vacation and after spending a couple of minutes on hold Vicki came back on and told me they would be happy to do that for us provided were were staying at least two nights. I was very pleasantly surprised and pleased. The room we had was clean although I would say that there are updates that need to be done. That being said, I have stayed in worse. It is typical of a beach resort. The pool had a lifeguard on duty that was very nice and played with the kids. There seemed to be constant maintenance people around and work being done. Obviously, they are trying to work out the problems. I will certainly stay there again!

3 Thank momsrule27
Monroe, NY
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I've stayed at the El Coronado for years, the good points are that it is on the beach and the pool is nice, but in the past few years and especially this year there has been an incredible decrease in customer service and caring about customer concerns. The El Coronados policy seems to be that once you put your deposit down they can treat you however they want and there is nothing you can do about it. When we checked in, our bathroom ceiling was leaking and there were wet dirty towels in the bathroom. Not only was there not even a simple apology but we were basically told that we couldn't switch rooms and that we would lose our payment if we checked out. Jennifer the GM is one of the nastiest people I have ever met. You'll know her when you see her. She's the lady who's walking around yelling at employees all day. I don't think I saw her smile once in the 4 days I was there, I'm not sure what she is so angry about. Maybe its because nobody seems to speak English in the hotel and the place is falling apart. Make sure when you make a reservation to ask for the rooms without leaking ceilings and be careful or you will lose your money. The rooms are great if your a 20 year old frat boy, otherwise look for another hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank mboat37

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Reviewed July 5, 2006

This hotel has went DOWN HILL. The new management is horrible & rude, I can't emphasize RUDE enough ...Almost $800 for 3 days and our room wasn't even cleaned, not that is was clean when we arrived. We are not picky people, but I'd rather flush my money down a toilet than sleep there again!!!!!

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We have stayed at the El Coronado for the past couple of summers and were pleasantly surprised at the improvements to the property and the attentiveness to the guests. My family and I could not be happier with our experience at the El Coronado this year. I am not sure where the other reviewers stayed but it was not at the same property we were at. Management changed hands this year and I say - for the better! They have painted the building a pretty shade of blue, carpeted the hallways, changed the door locks to the new electric keys (they used to have those big metal keys when we stayed before) changed the lighting in the hallways and most of all the staff was happy to have us with them. My children and husband were in the pools all weekend and did not notice any problems other then a couple of lights out inside the pool which we noticed a maintenance man fixing later in our stay. I have already made a reservation for later in the summer and my sister and her family will also be staying at the hotel. We definitely plan on returning and can't wait to see what other wonderful things the new manager and the employees have in store for us.

• Stayed May 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We stayed at the El Coronado in mid-June and had a very pleasant vacation with none of the problems that others have reported. I have been staying at the EC for many years and have also noticed the new staff and found them to be extremely friendly and accommodating. The packages, which are offered at non-peak times, are a great value and worth waiting for if your dates are flexible. Ours included breakfast each morning, 3 full course dinners, a boat ride, boardwalk passes, bike rental, and a lunch. Other options are available like a casino trip instead of the boardwalk pass, etc. We've stayed at this hotel during peak times (early-August) and it does get crowded but this stay in June was comfortable, laid-back, and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2006
#5 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Bal Harbour Hotels
Bal Harbour Hotels
#30 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to El Coronado Resort? Share your experiences!