“put down a deposit on a room and sign your life away”
Review of El Coronado Resort

El Coronado Resort
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Monroe, NY
“put down a deposit on a room and sign your life away”
Reviewed July 6, 2006

I've stayed at the El Coronado for years, the good points are that it is on the beach and the pool is nice, but in the past few years and especially this year there has been an incredible decrease in customer service and caring about customer concerns. The El Coronados policy seems to be that once you put your deposit down they can treat you however they want and there is nothing you can do about it. When we checked in, our bathroom ceiling was leaking and there were wet dirty towels in the bathroom. Not only was there not even a simple apology but we were basically told that we couldn't switch rooms and that we would lose our payment if we checked out. Jennifer the GM is one of the nastiest people I have ever met. You'll know her when you see her. She's the lady who's walking around yelling at employees all day. I don't think I saw her smile once in the 4 days I was there, I'm not sure what she is so angry about. Maybe its because nobody seems to speak English in the hotel and the place is falling apart. Make sure when you make a reservation to ask for the rooms without leaking ceilings and be careful or you will lose your money. The rooms are great if your a 20 year old frat boy, otherwise look for another hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
9 Thank mboat37

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Reviewed July 5, 2006

This hotel has went DOWN HILL. The new management is horrible & rude, I can't emphasize RUDE enough ...Almost $800 for 3 days and our room wasn't even cleaned, not that is was clean when we arrived. We are not picky people, but I'd rather flush my money down a toilet than sleep there again!!!!!

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Reviewed June 27, 2006

We have stayed at the El Coronado for the past couple of summers and were pleasantly surprised at the improvements to the property and the attentiveness to the guests. My family and I could not be happier with our experience at the El Coronado this year. I am not sure where the other reviewers stayed but it was not at the same property we were at. Management changed hands this year and I say - for the better! They have painted the building a pretty shade of blue, carpeted the hallways, changed the door locks to the new electric keys (they used to have those big metal keys when we stayed before) changed the lighting in the hallways and most of all the staff was happy to have us with them. My children and husband were in the pools all weekend and did not notice any problems other then a couple of lights out inside the pool which we noticed a maintenance man fixing later in our stay. I have already made a reservation for later in the summer and my sister and her family will also be staying at the hotel. We definitely plan on returning and can't wait to see what other wonderful things the new manager and the employees have in store for us.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Jersey
Reviewed June 26, 2006

We stayed at the El Coronado in mid-June and had a very pleasant vacation with none of the problems that others have reported. I have been staying at the EC for many years and have also noticed the new staff and found them to be extremely friendly and accommodating. The packages, which are offered at non-peak times, are a great value and worth waiting for if your dates are flexible. Ours included breakfast each morning, 3 full course dinners, a boat ride, boardwalk passes, bike rental, and a lunch. Other options are available like a casino trip instead of the boardwalk pass, etc. We've stayed at this hotel during peak times (early-August) and it does get crowded but this stay in June was comfortable, laid-back, and relaxing.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank JerseyBoy123
Reviewed June 5, 2006

I was at the El Coronado for Memorial Day and boy have things changed. Not all for the good.
!st the good they have painted the building which looks nice and have updated the lobby and put in new lighting in the hallways.

Now for the bad. Ralph and Lucille have retired which I know for a fact because I have spoken with them but I was told they were terminated. The front desk staff is not pleasant at all. Everytime you try to speak with them about something they tell you that they have to wait for a manager to come in to solve a problem or that is just the way it is if you don't like it you can leave. The new general manager Jennifer never seems to be available to address our concerns or problems nor does she seem to be around the building. They seem to blame all the problems on the old management which I can't understand because there were never any problems when they were there.

My sheets did not look like they have been changed and the breezeways were dirty filled with debris and cigarette butts. The pool furniture needs to be updated as some of the chairs are falling apart and there needs to be more of them. Also there was no lifeguard on duty. Very unusual!!!!

They took out the fish pond that was next to the restaurant, something that my children looked forward to seeing. They are doing some renovations to the restaurant which look very nice. By the way those are the only familiar faces that you will see. Anthony and Kathleen do a great job. Even if you are not staying in the hotel make sure you go to the restaurant you will get a great meal for a good value.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Neptune, NJ
Reviewed May 28, 2006

Boy what a difference a few weeks, makes. I guess. In reading the posting from May 5 th, I am surprised it fell so far so fast. I stayed, along with 25 other friends, for our annual memorial weekend at wildwood. This was my 7th year, and my friends 8th. Various others that we brought varied from first time visitors to returning guests. The only pleasant thing this weekend was the Coffee Shop. Very friendly and professional as always. It was the best part of our stay here at the El Coronado.
First, when we arrived on Friday morning, we were ABSOLUTELY SHOCKED to see that the pool was very unkempt! Loaded with sand and cigarette butts! There was even a diaper in the deep end of the pool! When my friend approached the front desk, he did not recognize ANYONE. And when he asked for the manager Ralph, he was told that management had changed and there was all new staff. We were told that Ralph had retired. After complaining, the "head of maintenance" who spoke little english and understood even less, went out. My friends and I observed him try to clean the pool. He was oblivious. He even said to my friend, who did speak spanish, that it wasn't his job. We asked several times thruout the weekend to speak with Jennifer, who was the new manager, but she never came out. A messenger was always sent out. We spoke with Sue, on Saturday, after noticing again that the pool was not being cleaned and maintained properly. She showed no concern and in fact said they tested the pool several times thru out the day on friday and saturday and it was fine. THE WHOLE WEEKEND WE WERE THERE , THE POOL WAS ONLY TESTED ONCE ON SUNDAY, AND THAT WAS AFTER A THREAT OF BOARD OF HEALTH WAS MEANTIONED. Monday was the cleanest day for the pool. Sunday morning, it was very cloudy and not circulating. the filter was not circulating since friday. We noticed on Sunday that it was finally moving, but now the heater was not operatiing! And on Saturday, we found out that someone had vomited in the pool and all they did was scoop it out and throw bleach into the pool! Are you kidding me???? This was the worst visit we have ever had and might not return unless we are assured the the new management knows what they are doing. There was no life guard at all on duty. Last year, there was a life guard hired by Ralph. Chris, the lifeguard, tested the water every two hours and continuously monitiored activities on the deck. Ralph also was very visible thruout the days. This manager, Jennifer was never seen, AT ALL. As if this wasn't enough, we were also disappointed that the new management decided to remove the little pond that was at the base of the stairway leading to the pool. we loved sitting in the coffee shop and looking at it. We also didn't like the idea that there was no longer a courtesy paper put at our doors every morning. Also, there was no courtesy shampoo in the room. And the gift shop was not open. stuff still in boxes. We were afraid to even ask about that. If that was not enough, we overheard a guest who was checking out on Friday, telling them that her money was stolen from her room! And the only ones who were in the room, was the cleaning crew! she walked downstairs, remembered she had forgotten her wallet, and went immediately back upstairs to find the maid service in the room. she picked up her wallet, got downstairs and realized it was pretty thin. When she checked it, it was empty! And on saturday, a member from our party went back up to his room, because he forgot something and as he walked in, one of the maids immediately closed the dresser drawer and stood up. She was going thru his dresser drawers! When he asked for the manager, she was "out", of course. So, sue came out. She just crossed off his room from the cleaning list. That was it! Now you might ask, why did we allow all this to happen? Why did we stay there? well, we tried several times to speak to Jennifer, but she never appeared, EVER. and el coronado has the best package. We enjoyed our visit in wildwood. I am not looking for anything, but I am hoping that the owners of this hotel are reading this, so they know that the management that they hired, have let the hotel go down hill fast. I am sorry to hear that Ralph had retired. It shows that he made a difference there. She replaced all his staff with her own. And that too, has reflected our visit. I hope that if you are intending on visiting the el coronado, you will watch out for this stuff. I am hoping that by next memorial day, they will have either replaced this staff including the manager or she makes herself more visible and gets things done, or we will go elsewhere and take our other 9 rooms with us!

10 Thank broskie56
Reviewed January 23, 2006

We have stayed her for about 7 years to date and have not had any real complaints. The staff is very friendly, rooms were clean, but parking is a little tight. A great quiet place to stay w/ kids. Daily activities for the kids. The package deals you can get are a great value. I can't really find anything bad to say, as some others have. My family has become friendly with the staff and the General Mgr., Ralph is always willing to help even with the smallest things. Hope you go and have a great time.

• Stayed June 2005
#6 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Bal Harbour Hotels
Bal Harbour Hotels
#31 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to El Coronado Resort? Share your experiences!