“Nice Stay”

Ranked #40 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Philadelphia Suburbs
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed May 31, 2008

We went here for a getaway weekend in May. The location is great and the views from the 2nd floor room we stayed in were gorgeous. As with most of the hotels in the Wildwoods being older or "dated" you have to watch where you stay. The Astronaut is well kept and the room we stayed in was clean and comfortable. Keep in mind there are no five star hotels in the Wildwoods. However, I always check reviews here before booking a place. The man at the Astronaut was friendly and seemed to take a lot of pride in his establishment. I would definately stay here again as this place met all my needs.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank lilbun

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York
Reviewed September 2, 2007

Location, Location, Location! If that's what you are looking for...then this little motel has it all. I spent the week at the beach. That was what I was looking to do. I wanted to wake up and go to sleep hearing seagulls. I wanted to step outside and see the surf. It was right out my window. This motel is 2 miles from the amusement park in Wildwood crest...a perfect distance. It is part of the unending vaction sprawl of motels...but toward the end which is nice as you have the location but not the over crowding. Actually, Wildwood Crest wasn't' overcrowded this week... it was just right. I almost feel like it is still sort of, underutilitzed. None of the honkytonk you'd expect to see in a seaside town with a large amusement park. A little kitsch, yes. Some of the motels haven't had a facelift since the 60's. But not seedy at all.

The Astronaut has basic rooms, no frill. Some rooms have had their kitchen areas updated. Mine had not..but it was clean. And the maid came daily and kept it that way. We had what we needed... a sofa, two beds, a table with four chairs, a fridge, ktichen, ...and this was perfect. The owners were on site and very nice and helpful. There is a nice inground pool...small but that has been updated with a water slide and diving board. Small scale but nice. There's barbecuing on the roof and ample outdoor seating if you need it. Small game room and laundry facilities. Really a family friendly place. We had a great week. I might even go back next year.

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank We_live_to_travel
York ,PA
Reviewed May 23, 2007

First let me say we have been coming to this motel, on and off for 14 years and complaints have been few.

When I made the reservation I was told we would have the room above the office I was told it could sleep six. We were taking our grand daughter along and we needed a double for both my husband and I as we both have sleeping difficulties. I was assured this room had two doubles and a sleeper sofa.

When we arrived we were given the room beside the one we were told we would get. It had been newly remodeled and we were overwhelmed by the smell of paint and other chemicals in the room.

After dropping our bags down in the bed room and finding a double bed and a twin bed (1), I attempted to get a drink for my grandaughter. The glases were all moldy in the cupboard(2). So we decided to go out, but not before opening the dishwasher to find it full of dirty moldy dishes. Obviuosly placed there before the remodel. It even had the soap still in the compartment so I started it and off we went. When we came back hours later we found the dishes were still unwashed. The dishwasher was not hooked up to the water(3). So I pulled out glases and washed them.

The chemical odors(4) were so bad I plugged in the heating unit in the bedroom to try and burn off the fumes. It worked but it blew dried mold all over the room(5). Big chunks of dried up black mold. And this is where we are supposed to sleep. I had to clean it up as well as I could. So we could not use the heat or AC and the tile floors were cold on the feet

We then tried to use the microwave to heat some pretzels we bought at the boardwalk only to find that the microwave was not hooked up(6) and the cupboard above it contained an open electrical box(7). This was late and the office was closed.

When we went to give the grand daughter a bath and ran water in the tub a dirty ring appeared along with sand from the spigot.
It appears the tub had not been washed or the line flushed after the new installation(8).

We finally get settled into bed. My husband took the sleeper sofa which was probably the wise thing as the beds were so hard (9) I had kidney pain all night long and had to get up three time in the night. Once to untangle my foot from the holey blanket (10).

In the morning I wrote a note and left it in the door as no one was in the office, yet, when we left. I listed the difficulties and explained that when I pay for a room I expect it be fully funtional. When we got back that late evening the note was gone but still no one was in the office. We thought perhaps they had left us a note or had someone come and fix the problems. But no one had. Someone came in and left clean towels. The mold was still in the dust pan where I had left it for them to see, the tub had not been cleaned, the dishes had not been washed, and beds were not made nor was there a change of the torn bedding(11).

We left early Sunday morning and again no one was in the office. So there was no way to demand satisfaction. We feel a rebate is in order. But we have had no response from the establishment.
The room was very pretty but the safety issues outweight the remodel.

Being repetitive customers we are supprised at their complacency.

Stayed May 2007
5 Thank SightseeMe
Manville, NJ
Reviewed May 21, 2007

The Astronaut Motel is the best place to take your family. Ed and Donna are the most generious people around. They bring their wonderful dogs around and they are so cute and gentle. I've been going to the Astronaut Motel for almost 10 years..but I've been going to Wildwood since i can't even remember..The Astronaut Motel has a Heated Pool, Upper Sun Deck. Ocean Front Motel & Room.. The Units are unbelieveably just like home.. I usually stay on the Third Floor so I can cook... I go down every June for the New Jersey Elks Convention.. Join the Elks and Party with Us... You'll enjoy how Elks Care.. For anyone and everyone.. Its Party weekend with us... See at the Astronaut...

• Liked — The Lovely and Generious Managers
  • Disliked — Nothing at all
  • Stayed June 2006
1 Thank Xshortii07X
Carteret, New Jersey
Reviewed March 25, 2007

year ,after year, after year, 20+ at least years, We've been loving the Astronaut Motel over and over. We meet the same families, on the same vacations, and it makes it ,all the more pleasent to vacation. I'm kind of glad they send the noise makers to other places, I save all year to enjoy a FAMILY vacation, NOT a teen-age ,run around, drunken party!!! I hope Ed and Donna keep up the good work. We all really, REALLY appreciate their dedicated spirits. It's not the most modern, but we all love it just the way it is!!!!

• Liked — small, friendly,economical,on the beach, Relaxing!!!!
  • Disliked — the rude guests, tight parking
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank benko
New Jersey
Reviewed February 27, 2007

I have been staying at the Astronaut Hotel every June since i was a baby. The managers are the warmest people and will always fix your problem (which occur rarely). The beach is right there and I recommend getting an oceanfront room on the top floor, the view is breath-taking! Much has been updated to keep up with the modernization of the Crest. My family and friends always have an excellent time when we stay at the Astronaut Hotel!

• Liked — The Location.
  • Disliked — Raelly Starched Towels.
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank BEachLovER1013
Reviewed February 2, 2007

I am 19 years old and have been staying in the Astronaut Motel since I have been 5. The rooms are always clean and nice. I love the management. They are always around and friendly to all their customers. We go with the same families every year and always have a good time. If you want to stay in a nice motel thats right on the beach, this is your motel.

Stayed February 2007