“It was okay” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Red Horse On-The-Lake Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Red Horse On-The-Lake Motel
Ranked #50 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Northwest NJ
“It was okay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2008

The motel was okay. It wasn't great and it wasn't terrible. On the plus side, it was small, family owned, friendly and was away from the hustle bustle of the beach scene and quiet at night. This was not a motel frequented by a younger crowd. Being across the street from and with a nice view of Sunset Lake was a bonus. On the negative side, it wasn't very up to date and wasn't spotless. It was acceptable and for the price, you couldn't beat it.

• Liked — Family run atmosphere
  • Disliked — Quality of the accomodations
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
bichonlover2
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

I was looking for a motel that took pets, as I would not leave my little Bichon in boarding to go on vacation. I was so pleased to find a place to bring my dog. My 11 year old daughter and I arrived with the dog to find a run down looking motel, the room stunk like urine, the air conditioner did not work properly (it was either too warm or freezing). The bathroom was old, toilet seat was very old (they could at least replace the toilet seats with newer ones), the shower was filthy. There was no phone!

Our reservation was for 3 nights but after spending only a few hours there we told Kay we were not happy and wanted to cancel the last two nights. She only refunded me for one night. I did not tell her that the place was disgusting, as I didn't want to hurt her feelings or be rude, so I told her that my dog was not happy and could not get settled.

We were also not very pleased with Wildwood Crest. The town itself was rundown, not many places to eat or even get gas. The boardwalk nasty!

Next year we'll try Ocean City.

• Liked — The pool was clean
  • Disliked — The room was filthy and old/rundown
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank bichonlover2
New York State
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

Our family, including my sister, her children with their children, my kids and grandkids, and my dachshund Nathan, and also our adopted family friends from Texas have been coming to the Red Horse each August for the past eight or so years. We love getting together and rent out half the place. The kids love playing together. The adults get to spend the week relaxing, catching up and having a ball!!! We always look forward to coming back. From the youngest (two years old) to the oldest (63) we enjoy fun filled days and (some) quiet nights sitting on the deck enjoying the lake. It's almost time to go again. Can't wait!!!! Rose

• Liked — Upper deck and lake views.
  • Disliked — No central air
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank RoMe_7
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2007

This was the first year that we had a dog, so we had to find a motel that took dogs. The Red Horse was one of only a handful in Wildwood that did take dogs, and we hoped for the best. The motel ended up being really great--we got an apartment style room with two bedrooms and when we got there, I was shocked at how big the bedrooms actually were. The motel is right on the bay/lake, but also only three or four blocks from the beach. It was fantastic! Everyone at the motel had a dog or two with them, and all of the dogs got along and the owners were friendly and cleaned up after their dogs. We only have one complaint: the owners blasted doo-wop music the whole weekend and we all hated it, including my parents who are middle-aged, so it wasn't just an issue of generation gap. Sometimes you just want quiet, especially when you are relaxing down the shore. We had to close the windows and door if we wanted peace. I don't know if that music is played all summer long, or just on holiday weekends (we went for Memorial Day), but it was annoying. Other than that, we all loved the motel, and would probably stay there again.

• Liked — Location near bay AND ocean; pet-friendly; large rooms
  • Disliked — constant loud doo-wop music
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank lishi8983
Folcroft
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2007

I really enjoyed this motel better than any other Pet Friendly motel in Wildwood. It was cleaner than some regular motels that I've stayed at. Kay and husband were very friendly and hospitable.
The place has a great view of Sunset Lake and it is in a quiet location by the Bay. Would definitely go back again!

• Liked — clean and very spacious
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank dquigley704
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2006

Great place to stay, especially if you want to bring your dog. My family and I stayed in the VIP cottage and it was wonderful. The owner is very flexible. The cleaning staff is great. It is a quiet but family friendly motel. I'm looking forward to staying there again this summer.

Stayed August 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Springfield, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2005

I brought my two chihuahuas over to the Red Horse and they had a blast. It's right across the street from the lake where they have plastic bags available to easily curb your pet. Garbage cans are everywhere for ease of use. Someone mentioned that you shouldn't let your dogs in the lake or else they might get sick. I did see a swimming competition in that same lake, so it can't be that polluted.

The Motel itself has a great pool, although dogs are not allowed in the pool. The rooms are nice, although we got a small one (#10). The chairs on the balcony have a great place to sit and watch the sunset. Lots of other dogs staying in the hotel and we never had a problem sleeping with barking at night.

There's a nice dog-friendly beach in nearby cape may called Higuey (pronounced Hig-Bee) Beach. To get there, go over a bridge then make the first right. Follow that road until it says "No outlet". Keep following until you get to a dirt road. Follow the dirt road until the end and you can park there. It's right next to the ferry. You can see the ferry passing by. Lots of other dogs & fisherman on the beach and it's relatively quiet.

• Stayed September 2005
#53 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
The Sand Box Motel
The Sand Box Motel
#3 of 76 in Wildwood

Been to Red Horse On-The-Lake Motel? Share your experiences!