“DEFINITELY NOT a friendly place to vacation with an extended family.”
Review of Park Lane Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Park Lane Resort
Ranked #21 of 68 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Reviewed September 14, 2009

One thing I must say, the place is immaculate. It is constantly being cleaned. Even if you are sitting in a chair, reading a book, and that is their time to clean, too bad for you. If you move a chair and then have to go to the bathroom, leaving your things behind, by the time you get back, the chair will be in it's original position and your things will be somewhere else. All of us have rules about no glass around a pool for the obvious reasons and we all AGREE with those rules BUT, at the Park Lane, don't dare step out of your room for a second or "dear ole Jim" is behind you reprimanding you. We all also have the same feelings about safety around a pool. Which of us wants to take our child to the ER for a split head or worse? When 1 of our children stuck his legs over the sliding board the FIRST time, Jim was at him BEFORE he even hit the water. Speaking of that sliding board, it's really positioned quite dangerously & it's amazing no one has gotten hurt yet although, maybe Jim just scares them away. No one was around on this rainy weekend and 2 of our kids were playing with a small nerf ball in the pool and that too he disapproved of. Our family took up, I believe, 19 rooms. It was a rainy, cold weekend. We got charged a rate HIGHER THEN THE BROCHURE because, according to Jim, it was the Biker's weekend and he can charge "WHAT HE WANTS" because he doesn't belong to any of the organizations governing any of the hotels/motels in the area. The brochure said the motel room (sleeps 4) should have been $84/night. I was charged $99/night for the 1st 2 people then $10/night for each additional person then, of course 14% tax. We paid him all this money and our kids were so restricted on a rainy, empty weekend. Then, one of the children is wheelchair bound. He rocks and sometimes we don't always catch him fast enough before he hits something. Well, he touched the plexiglass pool enclosure and no sooner did he do that then "dear ole Jim" was there telling us to "control" him. The child has Cerebral Palsy and ALL of us were watching him but sometimes you can't always catch everything. Jim could CARE LESS !!! His ONLY concern is how his PRECIOUS Park Lane Resort looks. We began feeling that we were living in a George Orvall book with Big Brother watching over us. We even started looking for the monitors. How did he know & see everything we were doing and be on top of us so fast? Although, as best we can tell, he didn't mess much with the bikers who were att he hotel at the time, especially the ones on the 3rd floor who came in with, at least, 4 fishing coolers and an assortment of "other" things. The smell of "dope" was evident even passing under their room on the 2nd floor but, then again, you can't SEE that. I also was upset at paying SO MUCH for a room that was right where the 2nd floor sun deck is yet, at night, it's roped off. It's a VERY nice area to have a quiet nice peaceful chilling time where you can just watch the stars and relax. DON'T DARE to cross the barracade!!! Your foot will barely be on the floor when Jim will be at your back reprimanding you. We swear he has it wired. My 82 year old uncle was looking for signs of it and the monitors. We were there with a large group, so that means a lot of people who LIKE each other. We ALSO just buried, on Tuesday, one of the people who was supposed to be with us on this trip. When you get a large group of people together, even if each is speaking quietly, the volume is going to go up. What did Jim expect? At times, we may have been load but no loader then the bikers driving by all night long !!! We also had children who were sleeping so we were quite aware of the noise volumes. The bottom line is------It is a very nice, clean place with a pretty nice view. If you are a Senior Citizen who does not make any noise, this is the place for you. If you are anyone who doesn't like to make any noise and you stay indoors and watch TV while on vacation, this is the place for you. If you are a family who have children that have no "fun" in them, then they'll be ok here as well. Watch the laughter level, it may upset Jim. When asked if he had any children, he said with a very hard frown "NO" !!! I guess that should have told us something. If you don't mind rude people, this is the place for you. If you don't mind paying a lot of money for a place, this is the place for you. If your ONLY concern is a clean place, Park Lane Resort is an excellent choice !!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
14  Thank mcaby

Reviewed August 22, 2009

I just would like to say a couple of words: clean and nice! We had terrific time. Management was very nice and friendly. They provided us with the all info about the restaurants and entertaiment. I and my husband loved that we had everything what was promissed: clean room, large pool, free parking, piece at night, wireless internet, in-room safe. It is the best place if you have kids. There is a kiddy pool and nice and Safe! glass railings. And the room service was very good.
Place is great! A plus to management!

2  Thank JF555973
Reviewed August 15, 2009

Just came back, it was my first time at the Park Lane. I've found this place online. I've read the reviews before to book, was a bit confused, but I am soooo happy I went. It was my best stay in Wildwood (been going for 15 years). The place is nicer in person than on the pictures of the web-site. Clean rooms, large pool, nice view, friendly people!
Now... At first I was confused about some reviews here. Some people don't like that they have rules in Park Lane. But it's all common sense - no glass outdoors. Why?! People, it is our own children and us walking around barefoot!!! One glass bottle can ruin vacation for the whole place. I loved clean balconies and didn't mind when I was asked to keep my beach chairs in the car. I enjoyed peaceful nights and always had a parking spot. I did not have to worry about anything, felt safe and comfortable. Would recommend it for someone who is looking to relax and enjoy there vacation, but not to those who are looking for party attmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank AAABOB_9
Reviewed August 13, 2009

I've been going to Wildwood Crest for vacation since I was an infant (early 1960's) Initially, I traveled with my immediate family, later, as a teen with friends and family and then as an adult with my wife and sons (who are older now). We often traveled with some extended family as well (parents, grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins, etc). I've watched as the Wildwoods have changed over time and have stayed in many different hotels, motels, condos & apartments, some good, some not.

About 10-11 years ago, after a disappointing stay at a hotel that will remain nameless, we decided to try the Park Lane after a recommendation from a friend. We’ve since returned every year, and because our extended family also stays we’ve had over 35-39 family members staying there at one time. Everyone enjoys the comfortable modern clean rooms, the spotless saltwater pool (largest hotel/motel pool I’ve ever seen in the Wildwoods), the spotless deck and lounge chairs and the convenient location (1 block from beach with views from 2nd & 3rd floor balconies and sun deck) and walking distance to boardwalk.

But most importantly, our family appreciates the “family atmosphere” at the Park Lane.
The owner, Jim, strives to maintain a safe, clean resort where families can relax and feel comfortable and not be kept awake by all-night parties (something I’ve experienced at a previous motel). This means that at times Jim will remind people not to bring glass bottles near the pool (and give them a plastic cup to pour into) or asks children not to hang over balcony railings for their safety. All good sound safety and business practices for a good hotel owner. But most importantly, he creates a calm, enjoyable, safe atmosphere for families to enjoy their vacation.

Lastly, let me say that I’ve stayed at places in WWC that were much more expensive but didn’t deliver any of the above as well as Jim and the courteous Park Lane staff. The room attendants are courteous and prompt. They even hold a weekly movie night on the patio for families.

So if you are a family looking for the type of relaxing vacation I just described, I highly recommend that you try the Park Lane

Reviewed August 13, 2009

When you are on vacation it's nice to relax with family and friends without being watched by the manager/owner every moment. You begin to feel your every move is monitored. There are absolutely no signs letting you know adults can't use the pool slide or what kind of containers beverages must be in. The 2nd floor sun deck is roped off every night. There are so many rules you begin to feel like you are a child in school. We are adults but yet had to ask to have our room phone activated. This should be a given and not something you would have to ask for. Parking is another part of the hotel that was uncomfortable. You are entitled to one spot a unit. If you change cars management does not like that and displays their annoyed look/tone.
Overall the hotel is clean and would be great if Management Changed!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank NewJerseyNorstar
Reviewed July 27, 2009

My family just got back from a week vacation at the Park Lane. I have been going spending a week every year on the crest and each year I look for a nicer place to stay. This year I stumbled across the website for the Park Lane and we were very happy with our stay there. The rooms were clean, kitchens were updated and the pool was beautiful and big. The only thing that I did not like much were the daybeds in the living room that moved on wheels. The beds had sharp corners....having two little ones (one that is learning to walk) was worrying but everything was fine. The owner was very nice and very attentive to our needs. We will definetly book this place next year.

Reviewed September 6, 2008

Park Lane is a classic Doo-Wop style hotel (ca 1963) from Wildwood's glory years. The rooms are a little on the small side, but my family of 5 (2 adults, 3 children) had a thoroughly enjoyable 10-night stay. In fact, we liked it so much that we wanted to extend the stay an additional 2 nights, but the hotel was already booked.

The exterior of the hotel is extremely classy and quite eye-catching. The photos I've seen of it online don't begin to do it justice. When we'd walked past it the year before (when we were staying at a different motel), and wife mentioned how it looked like a really nice place to stay. At the time, we'd mistakenly assumed that it was out of our price range -- but it turned out to be a real bargain.

As many reviewers have already noted, the rooms are exceptionally clean. The maids are very nice and always willing to work around our schedule. The televisions were large but not overwhelmingly so, and the remotes worked for both units. The bed was very spacious and firm. The duo beds in the living room worked well for the children, but would be a bit cramped for an adult.

I especially liked the bathroom, which featured a coral colored sink-bathtub/shower-toilet set that looked as though it might have been original to the hotel. If so, they were incredibly well preserved (only a tiny bit of rust around the sink's drain). I also liked the round speaker on the living room wall, that could be turned on to receive the same music being played poolside (it brought back memories from the '60s when my parents used to bring me and my siblings to the shore each year). Nice choice of music too (Elvis, Michael Buble).

The pool is on the large side (as Wildwood pools go). I've read that it's the largest on the island (and it could be). It features a slide, a diving board, a fountain, and a small curved bridge that crosses the width just above the kiddie section. Our only minor complaint was that it closes a little early (7pm).

The overall atmosphere is family-oriented: quiet, friendly, clean and safe. The guests were mostly families with younger children -- no rowdies. The owners were also very nice. Jim even spotted my wife a quarter for the ice machine.

There's a street (and a hotel) between Park Lane and the beach, so the view isn't anything special -- although you can get a decent ocean view from the second floor sundeck. The sundeck also provides a nice view of the fireworks.

The location is ideal. There's a community center next door that offers free concerts by retro groups (you can enjoy them the chairs in front of your room), and a basketball court and children's playground across the street. There's a bike rental place one block north from the playground, and the boardwalk is only another two blocks or so from there.

While staying there, we were looking at one of the free Wildwood brochures we'd picked up, and my daughter noticed that the "D" in "Doo-wop" on the Doo-wop motels guide was made up from the bricks on the Park Lane's front wall. As far as I'm concerned, that tribute pretty much says it all.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family