Message from TripAdvisor:
TripAdvisor has grounds to investigate that some of the reviews submitted for this property may have been subject to bias through a competition, deals, or incentives offered by the property in exchange for reviews. Please take this into consideration when researching your travel plans.

“What Else Could Possibly Go Wrong???”
Review of Aqua Beach Resort

Aqua Beach Resort
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Dumont, New Jersey
“What Else Could Possibly Go Wrong???”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

where do I begin???? First, I originally booked the Janais Oceanfront room 413. Upon check in I spoke with Alex about the special they offered for booking 3 nights get a 4th night free, which I was not offered on booking, but Alex told me he could honor the free night, if I wanted it, but unfortunately, I was unable to take advantage of the free night due to other commitments the rest of the week. (If I was offererd this upon booking, I would have arranged to stay the extra night).
My first impression of the room was that it was dirty and not worth the money paid. About to make dinner the first night, I tried to turn on the stove, and it didnt work, the sink was clogged and the outlet sparked when i tried to plug something in. All of this was brought to the attention of the front desk. They said they wold send someone up to look at it, but, I had to go eat out that evening instead of eating in. The sink was unclogged when I came back but I didnt check the stove or the outlet. That night, I was woken up at 3:30 AM to a smell of something burning. I got out of bed, and it seemed to be coming from the air condintioner. I immediatly shut it off, and when I went to call the front desk, there was no information on how to dial the front desk,(and also no fire escape rules on the door) so I woke up my kids and ran down 4 flights of stairs. (It was faster to use the stairs than the very slow, non- ventilted elevator.. and let me tell you, I have VERY bad knees..so stairs are not my friend) Mike was working and he followed me upstairs, and being a young guy, he had no idea what to do. He asked if we were using a flat iron??? He did however agree it was coming from the air conditioner. I told him I could not stay in the room with a possible fire hazard, not to mention no air conditioning. He rudely told me he didnt know what it was from because he is not the fire marshall! He did find us another room on the same floor..so, at 3:30 in the morning, we moved some of our stuff to room 403 Alea West. I was told by Mike that I would again have to switch rooms the next day because this room was being reserved the following day. The next morning I spoke with Dana, the manager, who knew nothing about what happened during the night, and was kind enough to tell us we didnt have to move again, we could just stay where we were for the rest of our stay. Now... this was Tuesday and we spent some of the morning bringing everything from one room to the other. We fill the refrigerator with milk, yogurt, coldcuts, macaroni salad, soda, water, iced tea, whipped cream, etc. The refigerator didnt seem very cold, so I turned the thermostat a little colder. The airconditioner also didnt seem to be working properly, so I also turned that to 65 degrees before we left. After a day out, we come back to the room to make dinner to find out that the fridge is all wet inside, and is not cold enough to keep the food cold. I go down to the front desk to tell them about this and the other fact that it is 75 degrees in my room and my thermostat is now set on 60! The front desk calls for service, and the maintenance man comes to look at it and tells me he will get me a new fridge. He comes back with one that looks newer, but is also not getting cold. He tells me he is going to try to fix the other one, and that the one he just put in was taken out of another room because someone complained it didnt work right. He tells me he will be back, so I wait one hour and he now comes back with the original fridge. By this time, the "newer" one is STILL not cold, so he leaves both in my room to see which is better. (He also informed me that he hosed the original one down with hot water to make it work) He tells me he will be back at 9:00 PM....so I wait... BUT NOW all my food had to be thrown away because it was not a safe temperature to eat. Everthing was room temperature. I had to throw away about 30.00 worth of turkey, ham, roast beef, cheese, salami, 1/2 gallon of milk, mayonaise, macaroni salad, yogurt, whipped cream.. probably totaling at least $45.00! NOT TO MENTION, that my entire evening of entertainment was ruined because he kept coming back to my room, and I needed to stay so I could refill the fridge with the items I could save (the water, soda, iced tea, gatorade) Now please tell me why you would replace one bad appliance with another?? POOR MANAGMENT! I also tell him about the air conditioner and he said he didnt know why it wasnt working properly. So, I go down to the front desk to tell Alex how disappointed I am so far with my stay in your hotel, and he agrees and apologized and asked me what he can do to make up for it. I told him at this point I think I deserve a free nights stay.... at the very least! He informed me that only Dana can make monetary changes and I should speak with her the next morning. So the next morning (Wednesday) I go to speak with her, and told her it is disgraceful that they would recycle broken appliances. She agree that should not be done,and came to my room with the head maintenance man (??Joe) to see how "cold" the refrigerators (2... I still have 2 in my room) are. The original one was very warm and the "newer" one was slighly better but still not cold enough. Because the freezer section of the fridge worked, I put water in the freezer, than used it to help keep the drinks cold. She replaced both of them with a brand new one. Finally! When Joe came up with the new fridge he also looked at my air conditioning.... thank goodness it was fixable, because another night at 75 degrees would be crazy! Apparently someone switched the dial to FAN, instead of AUTO, so he switched it ,and the air worked fine.

I am so disappointed in all the mishaps for a 3 night stay, I go to talk to Dana about how I think I deserve a refund for at least one of my nights. She refused to do anything for me...She claims she gave me an upgraded room (only a $20.00 per night difference, and not ocean front) which, remember, I DID NOT GET that room because I requested an upgrade,, but because my air conditionerand was burning up and this is the room that was available at 3:30 in the morning!!! She also said she gave ME a new refrigerator!! I laughed and told her NO...she did NOT give ME a new refrigerator, she simply put a NEW, much Needed refrigerator in the room.. not to me! She refused to reimburse me any portion of my stay.

So,..... As a quick recap, first night: lost sleep, woken up at 3:30 in the am from burning smell from a/c, changed rooms, to have a non working fridge,

Second day/night: was stuck in my room waiting for back and forth refrigerator switiching which then I lost an entire evening of entertainment; and threw away about $45.00 worth of food, spent more money because I had to eat out more than planned for.

Third Day: Morning time lost waiting for management to look at fridge, then waited for new one to come

There are a few small complaints, that I didnt even bother to mention to the front desk, such as the housekeepers are terrible... there 3 nights and they didnt vaccuum my room once, they left thier cleaning cart outside my room that I got to look at every time I walked out of my room,, there was garbage in the corriders, the elevators are hot, slow, and have no ventilation (a building code violation, I would think) and they charge you .25 cents for ICE!!!! Do you think I had an enjoyable stay??? You tell me???? ONE POSITIVE NOTE.....I will say that as much as I do not agree with how this was handled,and I do think they could have done something for me for all of my inconveniences and safety issues both Alex and Dana were polite. Not once were they mean or rude. I just think they didnt handle it the way they should, and I will NEVER be back to your hotel. Its a shame, because with its location, this could be a great place to stay if they would just maintain the rooms they have.... cleanliness doesnt cost much to accomplish.

Room Tip: The Alea East seem to have a great view. Dont bother with the Janais rooms...not worth the extra mon...
2 Thank Lisa S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
Reviewed September 3, 2012

It was good for Wildwood!
Rooms were clean, the location right at the end of the boardwalk and on the beach which was good for us.
The Pool was too warm and dirty and crowded.
Overall is was okay and will recommend as long as you have no expectations of a 3-4-5 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Branchburg, New Jersey
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Great location at the end of the boardwalk and to tram stop. Clean room but maid service only came twice in our 5 night stay. We were told by front desk that the "Need maid service" sign was misunderstood by the staff . Really. No counter space in bathroom as it has a pedestal sink. We used the sides of the "spa" . By the way the spa did not work. Called front desk for maintenance but they never came. Bed and pull out were comfortable. AC was good. Floors were kind of dirty but hey the beach is right outside. Restaurant is passable. Many other good restauarants in Wildwood to drive to like Uncle Bill's , Bandanas, Marvis and Dragon House. The cabana on the top floor is nice but allows smoking so go when it's not busy . In the middle of the day was quiet up there. Once the smokers came up, I hated it and had to leave. Also, the hotel does not enforce the non smoking. There were smokers outside our room. I don't think we would stay here again. Overall , Wildwood is a friendly town, but not so much at Aqua Beach. Might try the Adventurer next door next time... We stayed in August of 2012.

Room Tip: Quiet room on the 1st floor ocean side But no view.
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Just got home from a 4 day stay at Aqua Beach...Do yourself a favor and DO NOT stay at this place..

I stayed at this place with 2 other parties, so we had 3 rooms altogether.. Every room was dirty and sub-par.

- Each room had a musty, moldy smell to them.

- Carpets looked like they weren't vacuumed in forever. (Note: I was sitting on the terrace when housekeeping arrived to clean the room. She asked me if I wanted the room vacuumed. Why wouldn't I? There was sand in the carpet from the beach.)

- 2 of the burners on the oven in my room didn't work.

- the refrigerator was missing in one of the rooms of my party and had to brought up by maintenance.

- The glass slider which led to the terrace was off track and required a certain degree of finesse to open it.

- Bathrooms in ALL 3 rooms were dirty, and moldy. The white floor mat for the shower in my bathroom was worn and dirty. There was hair in the shower drain, on the wall and on the toilet. Just gross. (Toilet also overflowed) We purchased Lysol and hand sanitizer

- Bed linens felt dirty, and decor was like something out of the 80's.

On a side note, the room next to me had an issue with the lock/card reader not working. This required 4 maintenance ppl to fix and took a day to complete. The door to this room remained opened all night long, door ajar with the deadlock open so they weren't locked out of it.

This was an utter disappointment. I read some of the other reviews before I posted this, and noticed some of the patronizing responses from some guy named Mark Myland, who is affiliated with Aqua Beach. I really don't care that your renovating this place or how much money your investing on the pool and some of the rooms. You have a housekeeping department. Is it that bad of an idea or too much to ask to have them spend a little more time to clean the rooms properly? A LOT of ppl reviewing the rooms said they were filthy. You should focus on the basics of the rooms not yet renovated. I mean, the housekeepers are in there every day.

Anyways, needless to say, I won't be back. Don't stay in this place...you'll regret it!

5 Thank EddieZ555
Endwell, New York, United States
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Stayed at the Aquabeach for 3 nights in August 2012. Almost wanted to leave at check-in after dealing with the very rude, tall, young man at the counter..Pool area is very nice as well as the sun deck. But the rest of the property and room was dirty and run down. The room was way overpriced for the condition and view we had.We had no towels in the bathroom at check-in...I told housekeeping but no one came back with any. My husband went to the front desk and the clerk told him to get them himself out of a designated cabinet. I won't ever stay there again....

1 Thank Marie M
Wayne, New Jersey
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I just completed by five day stay at the Aqua Frat House. I was very dissappointed, as the Hotel informed me that they did not rent the room to any one under 25!! Well let me tell you they lied and decieved me. During the afternoon a mauruding group of college punks took over the pool and jacuzzi area. They were out of control, loud and were drinking excessively and doing other crude things in the hot tub. This was all in the precense of my younger son. When I lodged this complaint managent was rude, and was upset and told me that they were looking into it!!

I would never stay here again. If you are looking for an overpriced, party place then Aqua Beach is for you.

Room Tip: Dont stay here!!
2 Thank Thomas M
Livingston
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I was expecting a "higher end" Wildwood Crest hotel. Unfortunately, I felt like I was in Wildwood. Although some of the rooms are renovated, the entire place feels dated. We stayed in a renovated room and there was a leak in the bathroom. There was no shelving or cabinets in the bathroom, which made it difficult to get ready in the oversized space. What a waste! Also, the male front desk help was extremely rude! The bedding was old and did not give me a totally clean feel. I liked the tile floors and flat screen tv - that was about it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
#6 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Olympic Beach Resort
Olympic Beach Resort
#19 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Aqua Beach Resort? Share your experiences!