“A well run place”

Ranked #14 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Englishtown, New Jersey
“A well run place”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

At the risk of sounding like a snob, I must confess here that I've neither had the interest nor a reason to ever visit Wildwood NJ. When my daughter was to attend a sporting event there we, along with other parents booked rooms at the Lotus Inn at the coach's recommendation. I wasn't expecting much and I was pleasantly surprised. The place is comfortable and as clean as a whistle. The staff was friendly, helpful, and polite. The beach is a block away and the place is located in a quiet area of town. Beach chairs and umbrellas are available for rental at a reasonable price. They even maintain a small library for guest use. The kitchenette in our suite was well supplied and maintained as were the bathrooms. There was some construction going on when I was there so there wasn't any continental breakfast available. I was kind of surprised by the insistence on the management's part that I sign a form regarding the no smoking policy. This is also the only place I've ever stayed at that had a recycling policy. However, it is important to note that the place is clearly run by people who like their business and want to take good care of it. Therefore if it seems wierd that there are some rules here, remember that an awful slob probably made it necessary to spell out the concept of decent behavior. If I ever come back to Wildwood I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Bonbolito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Richland,PA
Reviewed February 6, 2011

My family has vacationed in Wildwood for more than 40 years. Needless to say, during this period we have stayed in many different hotels/motels/inns/etc.The Lotus is a great place to stay. If you like clean, well kept, nicely decorated rooms,in a place where you can have fun all day long , and then be assured that it will be quiet so that you can get a good night's rest, we highly suggest you give the Lotus a try. As I read some of the negative responses I am sure they must have been submitted by individuals that would find something to complain about no matter where the stayed. One day, if they ever get to heaven, I feel sure they will submit a negative review. They complain about the rules and dos and don'ts. Wise up, these rules are in place for all that choose to stay at the Lotus. As an example, The Lotus is a non-smoking facility and strictly enforces this rule.We are not smokers and as such do not want to stay in a room that smells of smoke. We are not telling smokers to stop smoking, but to ask them not to smoke in their room or areas adjacent to the room seems a reasonable request that the Lotus management enforces.The only complaint anyone could possibly have with the Lotus is that it is not a beachfront property. Their location is a very short block from the beach. However there is no structure built on this vacant block, so your view of the beach and ocean is not obstructed from the Lotus. To make a long story short, we will be headed back to the Lotus again this year.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank teacherRichland_PA
Montreal
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We were 2 families(11 persons) with kids (2-12 y.o) and had 2 rooms connecting together. A perfect hotel, clean, nice staff, quiet, families with kids welcomed, near the beach access... What can we ask more?

The rooms are big enough for 6 and the kitchenette is very functionnal. The pool is big, always clean with a kiddie pool. Breakfast included. Free Wi-Fi. A small game room for teens (and adults).

5 min. by car from the Boardwalk, but far enough to be quiet. A playground is just the other side of the street.

Perfect for everyone!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Parsippany, NJ
Reviewed December 1, 2010

Lotus Inn is a really fine place to stay. There is so much to do; relax on the beach, shop the exciting places on the boardwalk, discover different places to eat, or just hang around the pool at Lotus Inn. The staff is so friendly. This is a really great place to spend a weekend. cblanke1@yahoo.com

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Milmont Park
Reviewed September 30, 2010

My fiance and I are planning to marry in Wildwood in May of 2011 and will be having around 150 guests in attendance. The reception venue had recommended that we block rooms at the Lotus Inn for ourselves and our guests. We met with manager in June and discussed reserving rooms and the townhouses and clearly indicated that this was for a wedding. The manager was insistent that the hotel information be included on our save-the-dates and that our guests book in December/January. We complied with all the requests that were made and when I followed-up in September (after the save-the-dates went out) we were given a different story from the manager. She was not able to provide the room rates to guest that had called, lost addresses for reservations and told people that she would call them back because she was busy. My fiance and I met with her regarding these issues as well as finalizing some other details for the wedding party and she continuously informed us that the rooms were not hospitality suites. We informed her that our guests may have a few drinks while they were at the hotel and from that we were informed that she was not sure if she could accommodate us since this is a "family establishment" and the rooms cost $600,000. She asked us for time to think about her decision and we granted that and decided to have lunch. While at lunch. we overheard another patron talking about our situation and stated that the Lotus Inn did not want us there. I confronted the manager and she denied but did inform us that she did not want our guests staying there. She was very rude and unprofessional and I would not recommend this hotel to anyone unless you like lots of rules and regulations!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JMSLW
lotusinn, Manager at Lotus Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2010
There are two sides to every story.

In June, 2010, we were approached by the wedding couple to provide housing for them and their guests. It was discussed that the reception, bar and festivities were being held at a restaurant and that they needed accommodations only. There would be no hospitality at the hotel and that there would be a number of guests. It was the couple’s idea to send out save the date cards and include us in the card as the venue. It was only our request to have a list to manage calls as they came in. We did not get a list until late September when the couple came to our office. Up until this point, a few guests started calling to reserve rooms and it was the agreement that we offer 2010 rates, not 2011 since the wedding would be held in May 2011 as a benefit to the large wedding party. When it appeared that many of our larger units were being requested, we wanted to meet with the couple to make sure reservation room selection would be done in a planned way. We did tell a few people we would call them back since many of the larger suites were being requested and we wanted to make sure there were enough for the immediate wedding group. We did tell a few people we would call them back, but it was for this reason, not because we were “too busy”.

Upon meeting with the couple in late September, she brought the list of names that we needed. At this meeting we gained a much different understanding. According to them this time, they planned to have drinking going on at the motel and they used words like bringing “tailgate coolers” “guests and wedding party are not church mice”, “they would be having 4-5 drinks before the wedding to ‘unwind’”, and not to worry they would not wreck the rooms and put a “keg (of beer)” in the walls. We told them our rooms were not hospitality suites some of them are worth over $600,000. Also, we plan to have other people at the motel at the same time and we would not want any disturbance noise or consequences of drinking. We were really stunned hearing these things now at this point.

We wish this understanding could have been reached earlier to avoid their need to go on-line to air this. This could have been prevented by clearly communicating their intentions in June. It was supposed to be a wedding party and guests for accommodations only with any partying being held at the reception. They said they chose the Lotus Inn because of our reputation. We said reputations are earned. Since we have other repeat and new guests staying at the property, at this point, we would need a little time to think this over. In the end, we made a decision to withdraw from this, putting revenue second to assure that the family atmosphere we’ve worked for years to foster is maintained. We believe that labeling us unprofessional or rude when we are looking after the comfort and enjoyment of all our guests at the Lotus Inn is unjust and unwarranted.
Wildwood, New Jersey
Reviewed September 27, 2010

first let me say this hotel is old and outdated. I was here with husband and children. We like to get away in sept. because mostly everyone has already taken their vaca. So we dont feel it is as crazy as say june. Well upon arrival you go to front desk where u are told rules you must abide by if you do not u will be charged like if u want to use the grill (only 1 for the entire property) u better not drip any liquids marinade or grease because thats part of the no no policy. You will be in trouble the ridiculous list goes on. I could see if the hotel was beautifully furnished and had marble throughout then the guests would of course respect that instantaneously but this hotel is far from that. The hotel really looks like it seen a coat of paint in 1982. Hope you wont be in a hurry for the elevator on your trip because I could WALK the stairs and still beat my family by about a good 5 minutes. I was disgusted with the old arcade/breakfast room because my kids wanted to touch the dusty unplugged games and myself and husband needed constant purell to sanatize them from touching the old games. The woman working the breakfast was the only friendly and smiling person we encountered during our stay. Honestly do yourself a favor take a walk through before booking online trust me there will be rooms available. One last thing make sure u read the half hr long pool rule sign it is hysterical, my kids were cracking up about the diarehha pool rule.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank flymomx3
lotusinn, Manager at Lotus Inn, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
1. The Lotus Inn is neither old nor outdated. It has gone through 3 renovations in 17 years
and new construction of our top two floors in 2002 at which time the exterior was
completely redone. In 2009, over $20,000 was spent painting the exterior of the building.
Also in 2009 all baths were repainted and re-grouted. Some baths have original fixtures
but all are maintained neat and clean. Truckloads of new high quality, solid maple
furniture from Canada was purchased in 2006. In 2008, our sundeck resurfacing cost
$25M. In 2010, some of our rooms received new Flat screen TV’s. In 2005 all rooms
received new kitchens.

2. We have guidelines to ensure everyone’s safety and enjoyment. We abide by all safety
and government regulations such as the pool sign posted that the reviewer thought was
“hysterical”. This pool sign required to be posted at every pool in Cape May County
by the Board of Health. In addition to other requirements, the sign states, “Do not enter
the water if you are experiencing or recovering from diarrhea (this is the correct spelling)
or have had any signs or symptoms of gastrointestinal (stomach) disease in the past 7
days.” We do not allow public health to be jeopardized or trivialized because someone
thinks it is “hysterical”.

3. Grill. There are some common sense procedures we follow for the grill so that all guests
can enjoy it. Most people understand and appreciate the need for this. We have never
charged for the use of the grill.

4. Our elevator works flawlessly and we have 24 hour emergency service. While it is true
that we have one elevator, it gets busy at times since most people prefer to use the
elevator instead of the stairs.

5 The game room/breakfast room is adjacent to the pool and receives much traffic
during the day and evening. Arcade games are provided by the same Arcade game
company that supplies video games to this ENTIRE South Jersey area. Admittedly, they
are not new games. These games are extremely expensive to replace (about $5-15M
each) and a financial analysis is made incorporating the cost to revenue the games
generate. They are maintained mechanically and physically. They get lots of use from kids
and adults every day.

The reviewer said “take a walk before booking on-line”. We have never booked on-line because in addition to our website, we want to communicate with the guest personally clearly describing and answering any questions they may have.

We are always available and happy to address guest’s needs as they arise if we are made aware. The entire staff of the Lotus Inn cares about our guests needs and we do everything possible to make sure everyone’s stay is pleasant and enjoyable.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond.
Bayonne, New Jersey
Reviewed September 27, 2010

This is my 1st time i ever took a minute to spend time on a review. Suprised my family of 10 with a trip to wildwood,great place to relax and many things to do. My family has visited many times before.Please take my advice and look elsewhere.My townhouse bedroom mattress was never changed before we had entered,and with that being said someone or something left hair everywhere in the bed.I went down to office for resolve and "he" manager changed bedding, no problem and "she" manager stormed out slamming the door so hard woke up my two youngest children.Very very unprofessional and disrespectful !!! Customer is alway's right. Right? Air quality is a concern members of my family became sick with cough,runny nose and sneezing.Basicly when we were'nt inside the lotus inn everyone was just fine.So again please just take time and compare with other beautiful hotel's and you can see why i spent my time warning other families not to make my mistake!!!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank vielkys
lotusinn, Manager at Lotus Inn, responded to this review, September 29, 2010
Management Response:

This response is to reiterate our commitment to quality, comfort and cleanliness. Our staff and management have a reputation in this area and with our customers, of our cleanliness standards. This is obvious by word of mouth, repeat clientele and other written reviews.

Sheets, not mattresses, are changed on each checkout and periodically during a stay. In this case, although all procedures and inspections were done, customer called at 11:30pm at night (everyone was awake and active at this time) very upset saying they found hair in the bed linens. We responded immediately. We told the customer we would change any sheets they needed, it would not be a problem, to do it quickly, no questions asked. Management or employees never slam doors, ever.

No mention was ever made during their stay about air quality. Generally, the air quality in our rooms is excellent. We have not had one complaint all year. We have high efficiency central air units. If they experienced coughing, runny nose, or sneezing, it was late September when germs and allergies kick in and the weather is changeable. We did observe that the customer had a very messy room with lots of food out at 11:30pm and all during their stay. Also, they had 8 people in their party + 2 people in another room amounting to 10 people in the room. Maid staff observed much of their belongings on the floor. On checkout, we disappointingly found a messy room, garbage heaped, and our blankets and bedspreads on the floor which we never do.

It was apparent from the initial encounter, that there was a money motive at the core of this unusual complaint. We guarantee that we will do everything possible to make a guest stay pleasant and memorable. Our commitment to excellence and a quick response to customer needs have always been and continues to be paramount in our philosophy which we live by every day whether by management, housekeeping or maintenance.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wildwood Crest
#1 of 7 in Lower Township
Olympic Beach Resort
Olympic Beach Resort
#19 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Lotus Inn? Share your experiences!