“Can't wait to return next summer!”
Review of Port Royal Hotel

Port Royal Hotel
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Old Bridge, New Jersey
“Can't wait to return next summer!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This hotel was fantastic for our family getaway. We stayed in a very spacious and clean efficiency suite which was located poolside on the 4th floor. This suite can definitely accomodate a family of 6-7 people comfortably. The hotel has ample outdoor parking, but we paid a mere $2 a day to park in their underground lot. It is about .5 miles from the boardwalk so we did drive there, but it was a quick and easy ride, and parking was ample on the streets at meters or in pay lots. The stay and play package was amazing..I believe we paid around $250 for our family of four to gain unlimited ride and water park access at the three piers, which was nonstop fun. The cleaning crew was friendly, thorough and efficient, and even loaned my friend detergent to run her laundry the first day there. It is right on the beach and the main and kiddie pools were clean and staffed by a vigilant lifeguard. There was even a restaurant, but we only ate from the snack far (food was good enough for a light lunch). Do yourself a favor and book this for your family trip to Wildwood. We loved the hotel AND the destination and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Poetess74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Montreal
Reviewed July 8, 2013

You have to go inthis hotel if you are travelling with kids and want perfect vacation. This hotel is not too small not too big. Very clean and offers allservices a family needs. Away from noise and cars, it is very safe. But, you can walk to boardwalk and enjoy action in a few minutes. prices are very reasonnable. Snck on the pool. restaurant for breakfast. A goodasolution for memorable vacations with kids.

Room Tip: Oceanview family suite with bunkbeds are ideal!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Famillesabord
Basking Ridge, New Jersey
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed the week before the 4th of July for 3 nights. (We stayed here last summer as well.) We were in room 407. There are about 6 floors to the hotel. There are 2 elevators. There is an underground parking garage, for $2 a day. Keeps your car cool. They have plentiful luggage carriers available for the grabbing.

Our room had 2 queen beds, a little on the hard side, and a nice TV in an armoir, a small round table and 2 chairs, and then in a little alcove before the actual bathroom was another built in sink, mirror above, small closet, safe and refridgerator....very nice. The bathroom was clean and adequate. They have Philosophy toiletries.

The balcony in this room had 2 chairs and a small table. It overlooked the adjoining park, and you could always see the beach and ocean, to see how the conditions were. You could also see the street. Last year, our room faced the pool, and this is what I prefer.

The pool is fabulous, in 2 sections and one is large and roundish, and then you swim through a narrower section and there is another smaller roundish section where the water is 9 feet deep. It was great! Lots of chairs, and places to sit/lay, plus tables with umbrellas, all very nice and very clean.

They have a small restaurant, and it is good for breakfast, however one morning we as a party of two had to wait for 10 minutes so we decided to go elsewhere...but I ate there before for breakfast and it is very good. It has large floor to ceiling windows and it looks out over the bike path and the beach.

Access to the beach is right across the bike path, and there is a wooden pathway for awhile and then the sand...as you probably know this Wildwood beach is the widest in NJ. Lots of natural dunes, and plants too, very nice. This June, the water was so clean, I was loving it. There is a lack of shells generally in this area, so don't expect to see lots of them, as say you would up in Brick.

I love staying here, but I am going to seek out another place for August, just because it is on the expensive side, and I want to try to save a little money! I think they own the Jolly Rodger across the street, but from the reviews/pics, it isn't even in the same league as the Port Royal.

The staff is friendly, not overly so, and the housekeepers are a small army who take great pride in working here.

Room Tip: I prefer pool side, and you can go up a few levels; the elevator is not all that slow.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jacqueline S
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is somewhat pricy but extremely well taken care of. They took out the gift shop and have an amazing sitting area on the first level. The restaurant downstairs always has fast and friendly service with great food.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Steve O
NJ
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I have reserved the same suite at the Port Royal Hotel in the same week in June for thirteen consecutive summers. Should you do the same, here's some of what you'll find:

• The hotel is located between two treed lots: a beautifully restored public park on one side (north) and a newly renovated playground on the other (south); there are NO OBSTRUCTIONS to your view.
• The management staff is hospitable, the maintenance staff is knowledgeable, and the housekeeping staff is great.
• Whenever we have a concern, the staff does its best to address it promptly.
• Two clean pools reserved for hotel guests only.
• The beach and ocean are located right across the street.
• The on-site restaurant is delicious; the public outside snack bar at the pool is open daily.

Room Tip: South-side rooms overlook the private pool and public playground. North-side rooms overlook the pub...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael6203
Northern New Jersey
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My family and I recently returned from another positive stay at the Port Royal. We have stayed at the hotel many times and consistently reach the conclusion that this property is by far the best in Wildwood Crest. The oceanfront location of our room (an “A Suite”) is complete with bunk beds for the kids, two balconies, a sitting room and kitchen area which provides ample space, and is overall very well maintained. The housekeeping staff takes their job very seriously which is essential in my book, but being the particular person that I am there are a few minor areas where I would like to see them pay extra attention (dust on the base molding and chair rail, clean up the scuffs on the bunk bed base with a magic eraser). I would also like to see the bedspreads eliminated and use a double-sheeted duvet instead, but again that is me being a neat freak! Don’t get me wrong, this hotel is quite clean.

The main areas of the hotel are lovely and we love that every year there are improvements happening at the hotel. Last year it was an upgraded game room which looks fantastic, and this year they created the “maritime library” which is very well done. My kids love the pool, it is also very well maintained and pleasant. I read some comments about the lifeguard who works at the pool – on first glance I can see where they are coming from but if you speak to him, he is a very nice guy. Last year my son slid in the kiddie pool and went underwater for a split second which freaked him (and me) out and let me tell you, the lifeguard truly moved like lightening to make sure he was ok. His concern and attentiveness to my son’s safety is well appreciated. The entire staff is very nice and serious about what they do which I really respect. It is nice to see the same faces year after year and know that they truly care about the property.

I would recommend this hotel to others, particularly those with kids who are looking for a nice pool and great proximity to the beach, bike rentals, and a brand new playground.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank AM1027
Succasunna, New Jersey
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We are getting ready to go back for our 3rd year. Lots of hotels in wildwood are very outdated and run down. We were very worried about making the trip and then hating the hotel. This hotel was recommended by a friend and we couldn't have been happier with his choice. The hotel is clean, well decorated and updated. We stay in an ocean front suite with kitchen. The park next to the hotel has concerts and an outdoor zumba class. You are on the beach and the pool is always very well cared for with lots of seating. Everything about the hotel is wonderful. Very family friendly hotel. the kids like the game room. My only complaint is that the pool closes at 7pm. I really wish it was open until 10pm. Other than that we love it and recommend it to anyone looking for a place to stay in wildwood.

Room Tip: we stay in the Deluxe Ocean Suite but any room with a kitchen is great. The savings for being able...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
Fleur de Lis Beach Resort
#4 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Port Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!