WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Jersey Shore
“VERY nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

It's pretty much everything everyone says about it. Beautiful, but VERY expensive. I personally, happened to love Wildwood beach. So if I am going to stay overnight this is the only place I would stay. The rooms are beautiful and spacious. We had a 5th floor efficiency. Nice big balcony & a great view from up there! The kitchenette was nicely equipped(even had some dish soap). The kitchen table was a bit difficult to sit at with the sofa bed set up-not much room. Beds were uber comfortable and true to size. Parking spaces were actually normal-unlike most motels in Wildwood. Great location with unobstructed views on both North and South sides.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lodee73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

The Port Royal is one of the great hotels in Wildwood Crest. Our room was on the 4th floor and gave us a breath taking view of the ocean. We spent many evenings enjoying the sunset views. The hotel is located right on the beach and has everything you need to enjoy your stay. First and foremost, our room was super clean and large enough for a family of four. The housekeeping staff was incredible in cleaning our room and never came at a time when we were in the room. Actually, the entire hotel staff is extremely friendly, helpful and accommodating. The room also featured two flat screen t.v.'s and proved very handy when my childrem wanted to watch the disney channel during the Giants opening game against the Cowboys. The hotel also features a "large eight shaped" pool and a kid's pool that are both heated. There's also a game room and a restaurant that had some of the best breakfasts around. Parking is plentiful around the hotel and the underground parking garage keeps you dry. Easy drive to the boardwalk, supermarkets, and Cape May. A great value from a great hotel! Make your reservations early because the hotel books quickly with many return customers like us. Thanks for reading my review and enjoy the Port Royal.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the ocean, a must if you love the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank DnagsCrew
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2012

Wendy and I continued our seven-day trip of Outlaws' shows with a visit to Wildwood Crest and a stay at the Port Royal Hotel. Situated right on the beach, this hotel is perfect for families south of Wildwood with a pool heavily inundated by youngsters. Parking is an issue since street slots are VERY limited so one can opt for parking in the garage under the hotel...for an additional $5.00 a day. Once up to our seventh floor room (GREAT view from the terrace), we found a double and a twin bed awaiting us. HUH? I'm not the slimmest slice of meat on the planet and having to inconvenience Wendy in a double bed ain't happening. So, I gave her the double and I slept on the twin. SURPRISE! They were the most comfortable beds we had on this trip. Size ain't everything! All else was great - bathroom was clean, the location was excellent, and access to Cape May for The Outlaws' show was easy! RECOMMENDED!

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor to take in the view. Better inquire about bed sizes, though, if that's imp...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Curtis F
Fair Lawn, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Port Royal is a good place to stay in Wildwood Crest. We've stayed at Reges which is a little futher down and overall, the Port Royal is a bit better. Comparing places is always a bit dicey: each has its own way of doing things, is a different location and offer different amenities, etc. I would gladly stay at Reges as well but this is a review of Port Royal so I'll stay on topic with that.

Location of the hotel is good. You are a short walk to to the beginning of the boardwalk but please be advised that after a long day or night, the schlep back to the hotel can feel like an eternity. Some nights I wished I had taken my car. There's the trolley bus you can take as well just like at the Reges but we seemed so close at the Port Royal we felt like we were being lazy. The hotel is right on the beach.

Lobby area is very nice, almost upscale. The bathrooms in the lobby are really nice. The staff is courteous but I can't say they were REALLY friendly. They did their job and that was basically all.

ROOM: We stayed in the Efficiency Apartment. The layout was outstanding. We loved the separate bedroom while our two teenage children slept in the living areas. They liked that too. The beds were VERY comfortable and I am very picky about that. I've stayed at a lot places where it will take me a long time to fall asleep because the beds are not comfortable. Overall the room was in good condition but there were clearly signs of wear and tear. There appeared to be some kind of minor water damage throughout the room either caused by minor flooding or dampness, I couldn't tell. The wall paper running across the carpet in the bedroom was peeling away from the wall pretty much all around the perimeter and there was a distinct damp odor. I think the problem was with the humidity levels in the room. Despite keeping the AC on all the time on high, our bathing suits never got completely dry. We're down the shore so one can expect something like this but it was a bit odd. The "kitchen" area was small but OK. I can't imagine anyone making a whole meal in there but for coffee and a simple breakfast, it was more than adequete. The pullout bed we had was great. So easy to get it made. You didn't have to pull off the cushions or anything. It was decorated tastefully and cleverly with louvers and intersting colors. I liked that a lot. It was more than the bland type of hotel rooms I've seen at other Wildwood hotels (from the brochures). Balcony as OK. We looked out over the park to the north and as another poster stated, be warned that during the summer (at least 2012) there is a 8:30AM ZUMBA class. I thought someone next door was blasting Spanish music and that hour but it was the Zumba class. Wildwood Crest might want to rethink the Zumba class at that time.

Pool area was very nice. You could easily skip the beach and just stay there. Layout was big and there were plenty of places to lie down or sit. Points taken away for NOT having a hot tub.

The cafe was very good. It's basically a diner with better food. Nicely decorated and the wait staff were very nice. It's always a plus to have a food place in the hotel.

I wish the hotel had some kind of convenience store in the hotel for things like bottled water, milk and coffee, things like that. The gift shop sold mostly clothing and small gift items.

Overall the Port Royal was a good choice for us especially since we stayed five nights. It's a bit pricier than other places but some of the amenities are worth it.

Room Tip: Try for rooms nearer the beach and away from the street.
3 Thank CConnolly
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

My friend booked one of the suites with a private bedroom. It was great! We felt like we had our own apartment. Full living room and kitchen with utensils and a refrigerator. We definitely are considering a trip for next summer. Its about a mile from the boardwalk, but I can use the exercise so no complaints. Right on the beach, literally. Very spacious and clean. The balcony over looking the park and ocean was great too! I'd highly recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Yanksgirl845
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

Let's start with PERFECT LOCATION. You will be close to everything, the beach, the boardwalk, and restaurants. I liked the Port Royal but for my first impression I did not love it. I stayed for 2 night with my wife and 2 kids. The Hotel itself is very clean and more modern than most hotel in the area. Rooms are very clean and well appointed. I stayed in a regular hotel room because the efficiency suite was unavailable. I am sure the suites are sweet! The pool is large but too busy for my taste and the pool attendant was a bit creepy. Don't get me wrong the pool has little cabanas or gazeebos which you can sit under to get away from the sun and play cards or dominos. The reaturant which can be accessed by pool side was nice for breakfast and ok for dinner but very convienient and a plus. the underground parking will cost you 2 bucks a day but you can find parking outside if you dont come back from dinner too late. One night we got back and found nothing and parkes downstairs. I figured for 300 plus a night i was going to park down there no matter what the policy was. Nice Elton John cover band concert across the street that we had great seat from our balcony to see and hear. All in all it was a nice hotel but for 300 plus it was just ok. Would i tay again, Yes but in a suite. Oh almost forgot......HUGE KUDOS for the hotels WI FI. They have WIFI access for each floor which was awesome. I streamed several movies from HBO GO without an issue. Again the best part is the location and beach access!!!!

5 Thank NY1LOU
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

My wife and I have visited the Port Royal Hotel in the same week in June for twelve consecutive summers. Should you do the same, here's some of what you'll find:

• The hotel is located between a public park and a Green Acres lot, so there are NO obstructions to the view.
• The front desk staff is warm, the maintenance staff is knowledgeable, and the maid staff is fantastic.
• Whenever we have a concern, the staff does its best to address it.
• The on-site restaurant is great; an outside snack bar is open during the day.

Unfortunately, we encountered these “issues” during our stay:

• Cobwebs – in the bathroom window; the maid staff quickly took care of them.
• Smoking guests – the hotel has a no-smoking policy, but some guests ignore it. We had neighboring guests who smoked. We reported the problem, but spent our entire vacation dealing with the issue as the staff tried to stop it.
• Zumba class – much to our surprise at 8:30 one morning, a Zumba class began with blaring music over the PA system in the public park next to the hotel. That put an abrupt end to our sleeping-in late.

Room Tip: Room Tips: • South-side rooms overlook the pool; north-side rooms overlook the public park...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,029 reviews
Reges Oceanfront Resort
Reges Oceanfront Resort
#7 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Port Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!