“A family tradition and gem!”
Review of Bal Harbour Hotels

Bal Harbour Hotels
Ranked #30 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A family tradition and gem!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family has been visiting Bal Harbour in Wildwood Crest for years! I remember staying there since I was as young as 6 years old. My sister and I have continued the tradition for the past 4 years. We take full advantage of the mid-week specials. The hotel itself is in great condition, the rooms are kept nice, the staff are extremely friendly and even remember us from previous years. The staff are accommodating and professional. The location is excellent. Right on the beach, big private balcony's overlooking the beach and their amazing pool. Its a nice walk to the boardwalk, but not too far that it is not possible. There is an arcade for the kids (and us!) an in-house restaurant and a gift shop. Its close enough to the boardwalk to enjoy all the sights, yet far enough away to enjoy the quiet of the beach. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a friend, and I have!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Edgewater, New Jersey
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My Husband and I just returned from a 5 night stay at the Bal Harbour & I also was concerned about the reviews. Well what a treat, when we arrived, Jaimie was a true "GEM". Extremely friendly and helpful the entire time. Property was well maintained, yes a little dated, but worth the $$. The only thing that could really use help is housekeeping, not to well trained, but the accomodations were awesome, great view, large rooms, nice size balcony (private), comfortable bed. If you are looking for a 5 Star Hotel, you will not find it in Wildwood Crest, you would have to travel about 30 miles to Atlantic City and the location would not be half as beautiful as we had at the Bal Harbour Thank You for making our mini get away a HUGE success.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bricktown, New Jersey
Reviewed June 5, 2013

On May 27, 2013 I made a reservation with Bal Harbour for August 15 to 18, then I read the reviews and a couple of hours I cancelled. So I called and they said I was going to be charge 50% of the deposit, I was amazed because it was just hours, the monies was not even posted to my credit card. Today May 28th I call Alexis, the woman who was so very helpful and kind the situation. I explained to her, when you deal with the public you can't make anybody happy, they will always find something wrong, so the reviews did not concern me, what did concern me was how management handled the complaint. In this type of business you must expect good and bad review but his response and the unprofessional manner he responded really concerned me especially I am going there with my grand children who are 2 and 5. Now what did surprise me with Alexis is she said to me that she did mention the 50% cancellation and I said no you didn't what you did mention was the 18.00 weekend fee. So because of the reviews I decided to record the whole conversation and she never mentioned the 50% cancellation fee. So after discussing this with Alexis she asked me where did I read the reviews I told her and she said she will have management call me because it was just hours. So I thanked her and hung up.

Several minutes later the person, Manager, calls me and says you will lose the 50% of the deposit, not I am sorry you are cancelling is there anything we can do to rectify the matter. Nope he said that is how he deals with anonymous people, he wouldn't let me get a word in so I decided just to talk and explain to him that you are in management and regardless always be professional so all he kept saying, I was going to lose 50% of my deposit and then again you going to lose your deposit. So I told him this is why I decided to cancel because of this Manager, the Hotel might be the best thing Wildwood Crest has to offer but because Steve, the manager is extremely rude and unprofessional no one would want to stay or should stay in this place. I am wondering if the owners of this place are aware of the rude, unprofessional reputation this manager is giving this establishment. If anyone knows the owners or how to make them aware please share, forward this information with them.

Based on my experience in dealing with this place, please save yourself the aggravation and do not deal with Management.

Now he said he dealt with anonymous reviews negatively so my name is Jacqueline DiFranco and I approve of this message. lol

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
17 Thank Jacqueline D D
WWCBeach, Manager at Bal Harbour Hotels, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
This reviewer called three times to the hotel. The website and our clerks explain our reservation policies and charges. The hotel cancellation policy was told to this caller when she made the reservation. It is unfortunate that she will not being staying with us however the cancellation fee applies......Our staff is professional at all times as we try to help all customers.

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We just stayed here this past weekend for our Memorial Day special with my family and the first moment we walked into the hallway there was a mucky smell and it was so dark!!! We went into our room and the smell just got worse!! We looked around in our room and opened our sliding door to air out the horrible stench! Speaking of this door, it was so old and outdated I'm afraid they don't get checked by the board of safety or whatever? That night while we were sleeping on their god awful bed, I could not even turn my head sideways b/c there was a mildew smell either on my pillow or on the bed or on the nightstand? It was just plain awful! The next morning we went to the store and I bought a huge can of Lysol spray and pillows and disinfected the whole place.. I knew I would never get my money back, so we had to deal with it and we even left a day early to just get out of this place! There is no alarm clock in the room and the same goes to my parents room as well, so obviously they don't believe in time? Speaking of time, they are very outdated.. Everything is from the 80's per say... Wicker everything in the room, I felt like I was in the series of the Golden Girls.. The bed spread was horrible.. And the money you spend you don't even get toiletries.... Luckily, I brought mine from home, but heaven forbid if I had forgotten and needed to wash up they only give you two bar soap the size of my pinky! My family and I will never stay here again! Please Bal Harbour, listen to the customers... Update your hotel and please put either humidifiers in the rooms to help with the mildew smell or whatever that is rotting in your rooms? It wasn't just my room it was also my parents room as well.. We are not complainers and we love going to WW Crest every year, but I would like to save some heartaches to the people who are looking for a place to stay, I will now investigate where I stay from now on.. Thanks Bal Harbour for the smelly, dark, stingy stay at your place! UGH!!!! :(

Room Tip: The two buildings in this place their rooms are smelly and dark! I stayed on the one side of the bu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank cosmogal1
WWCBeach, General Manager at Bal Harbour Hotels, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
The Bal Harbour Hotel offers excellent value for our customers. If a guest has a concern during their stay we sugguest they contact the front desk during thier stay so we can correct it when necessary.
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have been to many beaches on the east coast and I must say this property is the best location I have been to the Wildwood Crest beach is right outside your room at the Bal Harbor. The staff is also first class as well. Very warm personable & attentive .They honestly made my wife and I feel like family which is a lost art in todays world.Kudos to the Bal Harbor for such a dazzling property and staff!looking forward to my stay in August again!

• Stayed August 2012
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is falling apart. The air quality is the absolute worst. Air conditioners were blowing a smelly warm air from ceiling vents. When we complained, a maintainance worker came and adjusted something but it only fixed the temperature for a short time. They tried to blame us for opening the balcony door but we never even opened it. The pillow was stained so terribly that I slept without one. (see photo attached). The mattresses were collapsing into the center so badly that my husband and I couldn't sleep. When I tried to discuss the issues, I was told someone would get back to me, but I was never contacted. When I later wrote to the management, they were in denial and accussed me of lying. I will never again stay in this hotel. If you want to stay somewhere clean and reputable, look elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank Dawn F
Dawn F stayed last year during soccer weekend. The air quality was fine. The problem was that she had left her slider open with the air on. Once the slider was closed the room cooled down quickly.
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed April 7, 2013

i stayed at the balharbor for wildwoods freight fest. i had a 2 bedroom. it was very nice and roomy....the only thing i did not like about the room was the carpet. i think it had its days. other than that the hotel is great, i love the pools and the arcade room.. and the fact i did not have to walk a mile to the beach... the only thing in peak season they are a bit pricey...but overall a nice hotel and nice people in the lobby

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family