“Unprofessional Customer Service”

Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Bricktown, New Jersey
“Unprofessional Customer Service”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

On May 27, 2013 I made a reservation with Bal Harbour for August 15 to 18, then I read the reviews and a couple of hours I cancelled. So I called and they said I was going to be charge 50% of the deposit, I was amazed because it was just hours, the monies was not even posted to my credit card. Today May 28th I call Alexis, the woman who was so very helpful and kind the situation. I explained to her, when you deal with the public you can't make anybody happy, they will always find something wrong, so the reviews did not concern me, what did concern me was how management handled the complaint. In this type of business you must expect good and bad review but his response and the unprofessional manner he responded really concerned me especially I am going there with my grand children who are 2 and 5. Now what did surprise me with Alexis is she said to me that she did mention the 50% cancellation and I said no you didn't what you did mention was the 18.00 weekend fee. So because of the reviews I decided to record the whole conversation and she never mentioned the 50% cancellation fee. So after discussing this with Alexis she asked me where did I read the reviews I told her and she said she will have management call me because it was just hours. So I thanked her and hung up.

Several minutes later the person, Manager, calls me and says you will lose the 50% of the deposit, not I am sorry you are cancelling is there anything we can do to rectify the matter. Nope he said that is how he deals with anonymous people, he wouldn't let me get a word in so I decided just to talk and explain to him that you are in management and regardless always be professional so all he kept saying, I was going to lose 50% of my deposit and then again you going to lose your deposit. So I told him this is why I decided to cancel because of this Manager, the Hotel might be the best thing Wildwood Crest has to offer but because Steve, the manager is extremely rude and unprofessional no one would want to stay or should stay in this place. I am wondering if the owners of this place are aware of the rude, unprofessional reputation this manager is giving this establishment. If anyone knows the owners or how to make them aware please share, forward this information with them.

Based on my experience in dealing with this place, please save yourself the aggravation and do not deal with Management.

Now he said he dealt with anonymous reviews negatively so my name is Jacqueline DiFranco and I approve of this message. lol

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
17 Thank Jacqueline D D
WWCBeach, Manager at Bal Harbour Hotels, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
This reviewer called three times to the hotel. The website and our clerks explain our reservation policies and charges. The hotel cancellation policy was told to this caller when she made the reservation. It is unfortunate that she will not being staying with us however the cancellation fee applies......Our staff is professional at all times as we try to help all customers.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 27, 2013

We just stayed here this past weekend for our Memorial Day special with my family and the first moment we walked into the hallway there was a mucky smell and it was so dark!!! We went into our room and the smell just got worse!! We looked around in our room and opened our sliding door to air out the horrible stench! Speaking of this door, it was so old and outdated I'm afraid they don't get checked by the board of safety or whatever? That night while we were sleeping on their god awful bed, I could not even turn my head sideways b/c there was a mildew smell either on my pillow or on the bed or on the nightstand? It was just plain awful! The next morning we went to the store and I bought a huge can of Lysol spray and pillows and disinfected the whole place.. I knew I would never get my money back, so we had to deal with it and we even left a day early to just get out of this place! There is no alarm clock in the room and the same goes to my parents room as well, so obviously they don't believe in time? Speaking of time, they are very outdated.. Everything is from the 80's per say... Wicker everything in the room, I felt like I was in the series of the Golden Girls.. The bed spread was horrible.. And the money you spend you don't even get toiletries.... Luckily, I brought mine from home, but heaven forbid if I had forgotten and needed to wash up they only give you two bar soap the size of my pinky! My family and I will never stay here again! Please Bal Harbour, listen to the customers... Update your hotel and please put either humidifiers in the rooms to help with the mildew smell or whatever that is rotting in your rooms? It wasn't just my room it was also my parents room as well.. We are not complainers and we love going to WW Crest every year, but I would like to save some heartaches to the people who are looking for a place to stay, I will now investigate where I stay from now on.. Thanks Bal Harbour for the smelly, dark, stingy stay at your place! UGH!!!! :(

Room Tip: The two buildings in this place their rooms are smelly and dark! I stayed on the one side of the bu...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank cosmogal1
WWCBeach, General Manager at Bal Harbour Hotels, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
The Bal Harbour Hotel offers excellent value for our customers. If a guest has a concern during their stay we sugguest they contact the front desk during thier stay so we can correct it when necessary.

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood Crest hotels

Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have been to many beaches on the east coast and I must say this property is the best location I have been to the Wildwood Crest beach is right outside your room at the Bal Harbor. The staff is also first class as well. Very warm personable & attentive .They honestly made my wife and I feel like family which is a lost art in todays world.Kudos to the Bal Harbor for such a dazzling property and staff!looking forward to my stay in August again!

• Stayed August 2012
Flemington, New Jersey
Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is falling apart. The air quality is the absolute worst. Air conditioners were blowing a smelly warm air from ceiling vents. When we complained, a maintainance worker came and adjusted something but it only fixed the temperature for a short time. They tried to blame us for opening the balcony door but we never even opened it. The pillow was stained so terribly that I slept without one. (see photo attached). The mattresses were collapsing into the center so badly that my husband and I couldn't sleep. When I tried to discuss the issues, I was told someone would get back to me, but I was never contacted. When I later wrote to the management, they were in denial and accussed me of lying. I will never again stay in this hotel. If you want to stay somewhere clean and reputable, look elsewhere!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
16 Thank Dawn F
Dawn F stayed last year during soccer weekend. The air quality was fine. The problem was that she had left her slider open with the air on. Once the slider was closed the room cooled down quickly.
Bloomfield, New Jersey
Reviewed April 7, 2013

i stayed at the balharbor for wildwoods freight fest. i had a 2 bedroom. it was very nice and roomy....the only thing i did not like about the room was the carpet. i think it had its days. other than that the hotel is great, i love the pools and the arcade room.. and the fact i did not have to walk a mile to the beach... the only thing in peak season they are a bit pricey...but overall a nice hotel and nice people in the lobby

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
North Wildwood, New Jersey
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I grew up in South Jersey envying people who stayed at this hotel. The staff is very knowledgeable, but the internal mechanisms are really starting to show wear.

If you go, any room you have will have some kind of ocean view. The pool areas are looked after constantly. And you're right on the ocean. That alone to me is worth it!

The parking is horrendous!!! We weren't there 5 minutes, and someone smashed the front of his brand new car into a cement piling. On our last night there, we ripped the side mirror off our car. And we don't have that big of a car. If you can't park outside (which is also tight), all I can say is...be careful.

Room Tip: If you want to pick your room, it's extra. You should be fine here with the noise factor. Mostly...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank R P
Fairfield, New Jersey
Reviewed October 27, 2012

The layout of the rooms are great but it ends there. Screen door was broken, carpet worn and torn with nails sticking out. The efficiency room had had two forks and was missing many other kitchen items. Staff was informed and stated they didn't know anything about it. They were rude and didn't really care. The restaurant service couldn''t be worse. Couldn't get the attention of hostess or waitress and menu was very limited (couldn't even get the orders correct). Hotel is very dated and really needs work. Staff needs training. Ice machine is in parking area under hotel and it is locked up before 11 am and after 9 pm. I will say it wasn't like this 20 years ago, which is probably the last time they did anything to the rooms. Won't be staying here again.

Room Tip: Room layouts are great. Ocean view and ocean front are great, but can't take the lack of mainte...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Gail R
Thank you for your review. Although we disgaree with your remarks they have been taken under advisement.