“Tacky amenities can't spoil wonderful location.”

Reges Oceanfront Resort
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Wildwood Crest
Monroe, New Jersey
“Tacky amenities can't spoil wonderful location.”
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Reges Resort is located directly on the famous broad beach on the quiet end of Wildwood island. The view from each room's ocean balcony is superb, and you have a sizable heated pool to swim in as well as the ocean. Don't look away from the view or you will notice the tacky beach cottage style room furnishings, including the world's most uncomfortable sofa bed. The towels are one washing away from the rag bag and they even charge for a phone call to the front desk. The restaurant on site is adequate. The hefty room charges should come with an upgraded facility, but even the grumpy staff and tacky surroundings can't spoil the prime location and glorious ocean view.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank welltraveled46

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
New Jersey
Reviewed September 27, 2009

A little pricer than the average hotel in Wildwood. However, the room were very clean, and spacious. We had two queen beds, pocket door to vanity area, pocket door to living room with queen pull out sleep and kitchenette. Not sure which category it was. Best part.....slider patio with a full Ocean View. All room truly are oceanfront. 2 kids, 9 and 11, so there had their own "space". Room had fridge, ice cube trays (some floors have icemakers outside elevators) sink, stove, dishes/silverware, coffeemaker (no coffee). I would bring a toaster next time. Our unit had a hairdryer in vanity area. Negative -- no in-room safe.

We got take out from the beach grill, which is basically what it is, but was good. We also ate in their little restaurant for breakfast, was just fine. Parking was never a problem.
Pool is heated, but I believe closes at 9PM. The hotel is one of the last hotels/condiminums before going into Cape May. Nothing within walking distance, however much quieter and family oriented in the Crest. Parking is the way to go to the boardwalk. Most lots were $5.00/day. Trolley is a rip off. Several waterparks for kids on piers on boardwalk. Very reasonable. Early am/after 3 deals. It is safe to ride bikes, as the streets are wide and it is mostly as residential area right across street.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
NJ
Reviewed September 17, 2009

This was our first stay at the Reges and will be the last. It needs alot of updating. Our room was tight, the pool needed cleaning (especially the kiddie pool), the carpets had debris on them, the elevator was dirty, no safety mat inside of the tub, etc. There are so many nicer places to choose from for the money. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
new jersey
Reviewed September 11, 2009

I preface my review of this hotel with the fact that we loved Wildwood Crest and were able to salvage a great vacation despite our terrible experience at the hotel. We would go back to Wildwood in another hotel in a second.

My family and I recently stayed at the Reges hotel for 4 nights and will never stay there again. While the location is good and the beach is nice, the hotel fails in every important category.

The rooms are not that clean as the sheets are not changed and there are stains all over the place, including on the bath and beach towels.

However, the biggest problem with the hotel is the staff. They don't care in the slightest about your stay after they have your money. The buzzword at this hotel is non-refundable.

My biggest gripe about my stay concerns my 5 year old son who is mentally disabled with autism. In this particular instance, he was not acting up or anything, just being a normal 5 year old. However, he was infactuated with the hot tub. I tried to explain to him that he was not allowed in there, but he kept running back, but I immediately pulled him out within 3 seconds. Unfortunately, he does not understand all receptive language or the consequences of all of his actions. Trust me, I would give up my left arm, if he did.

The lifeguard on duty took this opportunity to completely embarass me, my wife and 8 year old daughter by yelling at us about my son in front of the entire pool. Usually, I would react angrilly to such treatment, but instead took a moment to try to explain to a lifeguard named GENE the situation about my son.

Well, to say, Gene was less than understanding was the understatement of the year. He continued to publically scold me and then had the audacity to say if I could not keep my son out of the hot tub, maybe I should not raise him. Well, that just set me off and I told him that I was surprised that man of his age (Late 50's/early 60's) would be so non-sympathetic towards a disabled child. Trust me, when I tell you, we do everything to help this kid, so that maybe one day, he can a semblance of a normal life.

I tried to explain the situation to the general manager of the hotel and he could care less. He could not even muster an apology to me on behalf of the hotel at that moment or when he saw us the next day.

It was the worst treatment that I could imagine.

However, since the kids were having a great time and finding another decent hotel is impossible, we decided to suck it up and stay.

It is just interesting that when I explain about my son to a 15 year old high school student at the local pool club, he has more compassion than these older and more "mature" adults.

I never take the time to write on this site, but I felt this story should be shared and if you are looking for a nice stay and to be treated as you deserve for what you are paying, there are much better options available in Wildwood Crest.

19 Thank pmltempest
nj
Reviewed August 28, 2009

Knowing the Jersey shore hotels I was a little nervous spending over $300 per night. This was my families first stay here at the Reges & won't be the last!! The hotel was very clean. The rooms were newly refurbished & ample in size. The kitchenette was stock nicely with a working fridge. Huge plus NO MUSTY ODER anywhere!! The air conditioners in the rooms worked & were relatively quiet. The view was nothing but spectacular! The hotel staff was nothing but friendly & helpful! The pool & hot tub were maintained daily & kept very clean!

I only have 3 negatives which aren't biggies...1. The parking spots are very tight since most families have mini vans or trucks. 2.As I said earlier the rooms are newly refurbished plus, but the kitchen area is lacking cabinets to put food in. 3. The toilet/tub area was small. We are small people so it didn't effect us much, but might for others.

Again, we will revisit the Reges again & try to make it a family summer tradition.

2 Thank njhockeymom09
Montreal
Reviewed August 20, 2009

We arrived at the hotel for check in. Cel was the person we had spoken to on the phone the day before and we made our reservations with her. She was very pleasant to deal with on the phone. Upon our arrival at the hotel, it was Cel who served us and remembers our conversation and was a very pleasant person.

We had a wonderfull time, rooms very clean, maid service was very efficient. We would leave for breakfast, and upon our return our room was already cleaned. The front desk staff very helpfull and friendly. When we asked about various types of resaurantes they would recommend, Cel provided us with various types such as Mexican, Italian and Chinese. All the resturants they recommended had fantastic food, great prices and great service. We want to thank Cel and the other stafff at the Reges for their outstanding customer service. This made our stay even more memorable. We had an ocean front view, WOW!!! All the rooms had ocean view. Pool and sauna, were clean and very well kept. The beach was spectacular, we truly enjoyed our stay and will definately be coming back next year!! Cudos to the staff and hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
DC
Reviewed August 18, 2009

I was in charge of planning a trip for 4 families in wildwood crest. I went to travelocity and after reading the comments and being rated #3, I thought we were set to stay at a top-notch hotel. The positive.....the beach. Very clean and not too crowded. But the hotel in my families opinion was very disappointing. The bathroom for one is very small. Our room was definitely smaller than the others and I agree with those who wrote in, don't stay on the 1st or 2nd floor. The decor is outdated. There is an odor in the lobby. The restaurant food was good but service was poor. Ice machines are not on every floor, elevators very small and slow. We had 3 teenagers and 2 adults and were very tight. When I think of a resort, I think of high quality with many amenities. Not the case here. My son asked, :"is this a motel?".

We are from Virginia and fairly or not compare Virginia Beach to our stay in Wildwood Crest. Perhaps the Regis rates high as compares to only local hotels, but if situated in Virginia Beach I believe the vacancy sign would remain on.

Some good questions to ask ahead of time:
* Is the local town/county dry? Wildwood Crest serves no alchohol
* How early can a good cup of coffee be obtained? The Regis does not open for coffee
until 7:30, far to late for early risers and sunrise seekers.
* What bathroom supplies are provided? No shampoo, lotion, and the smaller items
are offered here.
* What happens if I loose my room key after 11:00 p.m.? The lobby here closes at this
time and we ALMOST were in this situation.
* What is the walking distance from the building to the water? Wildwood
Crest/Diamond beach has a very wide beach. This can be a good thing or a bad thing
but it was still quite the haul for us to get down to the beach as compared to any other
beach we have ever been to.
* Do you charge the same rate for re-decorated rooms vs. older ones? How about the
square footage? Some in our group definately had more space, yet paid the same
rate.
* How close are grocery stores, convenience stores, coffee shops, etc.? From the
Regis there is virturally nothing within walking distance.

4 Thank shelby400
#3 of 67 in Wildwood Crest
Bal Harbour Hotels
Bal Harbour Hotels
#32 of 67 in Wildwood Crest

Been to Reges Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!