“Great new alternative to all the "regular" restaurants”
Review of Tavern on the Bay - CLOSED

Tavern on the Bay
Cuisines: American, Italian, Pizza, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner
Description: Are you craving an authentic wood fired pizza? What about fresh caught seafood, a new york strip steak, or chicken parmesean? Then get in the car; Tavern on the Bay is your next destination! Located in Wildwood, Tavern on the Bay features the only wood fired pizza kitchens in the area. But don't be fooled, the diverse menu also includes favorites such as the Tavern Burger, Stuffed Shrimp, Chicken Marsala and more! Join us Thursday through Sunday for dinner, or at the bar! Tavern on the Bay has three areas for your enjoyment; a rooftop bar great for watching the sunset, a patio where dogs are welcome, and indoors where guests will enjoy the finest food and music. Check out our daily specials, early bird menu, and weekly events! And don't forget to follow us on Facebook for the latest information! Did you know? We proudly serve pizza Napoleatana. Neopolotan pizza is characterized by dough made only with imported Italian flour, sea salt, and water which must be kneaded and formed by hand. It is then tossed thin and brought to life by a selection of Oak, Hickory, and Cherry wood fire for a fluffy crust and one-of-a-kind taste. According to authentic Naples tradition, each signature Tavern on the Bay pie is served as ready, from oven to table. What are you waiting for? Tavern on the Bay in Wildwood...Hello, Sailor!
Bridgewater Corners, Vermont
“Great new alternative to all the "regular" restaurants”
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We've been going to Wildwood for many years and eat at the typical "seafood" type restaurants that EVERYONE goes to and we were looking for something new. We were greeted nicely and seated right away (we were are party of 9 including three kids). Our waitress was very nice and attentive although it took a bit to get drinks and food. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. None of us got the traditional "big" dinners but two folks had crab cakes, one had the catch of the day sandwich, which was mahi mahi, my husband and daughter split a wood-fired oven pizza, I had the fondue. The traditional seafood meals looked on par price-wise for what the other restaurants are asking. We enjoyed great bread and olive oil to start. It was refreshing to have a new place to go to that had good atmosphere with a kid-friendly menu. Total cost for the whole group of us didn't break the bank which was nice. I highly recommend the spot if you're looking for an alternative and if you don't need to have a big fancy meal. We'll be trying the roof top deck next year (without the kiddos). Definitely give it a try.

1 Thank KJPR

Budd Lake, New Jersey
“Great food, attentive service and roof top open air eating!”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Must be a new place or new ownership, because when we drove over the bridge into Wildwood we noticed the sign off to the side...

On day 3 we left the kids to their own devices and headed off to try out the Tavern on the Bay!

Roof top was packed so we took a table outside down on street level which was nice around 5pm midweek although since it is Rio Grande Ave I would HIGHLY recommend avoiding that spot during any busy travel time!

The rice ball app,was positively sinful...

The missus had the crab cakes and gave the entire platter a 5/5 while I went for the Tavern on the Bay Burger and it was top 3 in the Wildwoods for me.

With a few drinks and a big tip to the awesome waiter Brian who stopped by often, but not too much, to make sure all was well, it was still under $60.00.

1 Thank Just_Steve_35
New Jersey
“Mixed Feelings...”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

Great location. Just off either the entrance or exit bridge of Wildwood. Food was very good. Service attentive. I had the ribs and what was offered was a tremendous portion. In fact, I inquired as to whether it was a mistake. My wife had the stuffed shrimp with crab. The manager came by and inquired if our meal was satisfactory. A nice touch. My only concern was the price of the meals. I realize that it is a new restaurant and they are only open during summer, and as a result have to make their money, but the ambiance (bar tavern) does not fit the menu. I will return for drinks and pizza / burger and sit on the roof top. I think they need to have an identity. Bar/tavern as advertised or upscale.

Gloucester
“One of the worst decisions I have made.”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We originally wanted to go to Urie's for some crabs but were worried about $ and wait time. So my wife, my 2 kids and I were gonna just head home and we saw "Tavern on the Bay" and their sign stating "kids meals $5." They had a roof top deck which made it seem like a great decision. First lesson learned was do NOT go on the rooftop deck around 6pm on a sunny day. The umbrellas are not adjustable and the sun was wearing on my family very quick. There was not a shady spot on the whole deck. If I was just sitting at the bar with my wife it may not have been an issue but the sun was hurting the kids no matter where I put them. My wife and I ordered the BBQ ribeye daily "special" that was not on the menu. The filet mignon was about $30 and the New York strip was $24. So being the daily special we expected maybe something in the $20-$25 range for the ribeye. Turns out when we got our bill they were $35 each. And smothered in BBQ sauce. BBQ sauce on a ribeye?? Granted I guess I mistook BBQ for grilled. But still I was appalled. Also this steak came with no salad, no soup..for $35 you kind of expect some starters. I also ordered a French onion soup in which our server "Angelo" obviously never put it in. I never mentioned it again to him and it was not on the bill. But I was still pretty mad about it. Also the $5 kids meals are actually $8 unless you decide to not let your kids drink anything. $3 for a 8-10 oz lemonade. Same thing for sodas. I ordered a bud light at 5:50 (happy hour ends a 6pm) after waiting 15 min for Angelo to come back. The $1.50 happy hour bud light cost $2 on my bill. I'm not the type to complain about $.50. So for (2) ribeyes, 1 hot dog, 1 cheeseburger, 4 sodas/lemonades, and 1 beer I paid the $105 bill, went on my way and left was disgusted at the experience I just had. My advice for this place is to NEVER order the ribeye, drink water, and save the rooftop for night time. Or just not go here at all and head over to Urie's.

6 Thank FFEMT51
Cape Coral
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome!”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

We have been in Wildwood for a week and wanted a great meal. Went through TripAdvisor and read the reviews. The Tavern on the Bay was rated #55 but was one of the only restaurants that did not have mixed reviews We were there tonight. Our waiter was Angelo who did a great job. The food was outstanding! My husband had the salmon, and I had the crab cakes. It has been a long time since we have had that good of food when eating in any restaurant. We will definitely go back!

1 Thank Marshasl