“Nice People, Typical Wildwood Motel”
Review of Royal Court Motel

Royal Court Motel
Royal Court Motel
Ranked #47 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Let me start this off by saying we had a good time on our Wildwood trip. The Royal Court Motel is a nice place and the owners & employees were extremely nice & helpful, but it's in the process of being renovated & unfortunately we got an old room! My mother & step-father were downstairs & they had a nice updated room. Our room was on the second floor & they hadn't got to us yet!

The window in our bathroom had to be manually closed, our refrigerator shelves were rusted, we had several stains in the room, there were pieces missing from the molding around the wall lamps, & the back of the door was peeling like crazy!!

AGAIN...My parents room was VERY NICE!! But make sure you ask for an updated room!

The pools were nice, (too cold for me, but the family loved it), & the location to the Boardwalk & Convention Center is Great!!

We will be back...once the rooms have been finished.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I went for one night with my 2 children and husband. The room was clean, but very outdated. Walls, art work and furniture were faded and the mirror was leaning on the dresser, not hanging on the wall. Fridge worked well. Pool was missing several side tiles, and the deck chairs were very faded and old. Lots of smokers outside their rooms, perhaps a smoking section would be a good suggestion so children do not have to walk past several smokers to get to their room. Great location with Rite Aide and a wonderful diner right across the street. One block to board walk and close to several nice restaurants.

Over all, it is an okay place - I probably will not stay there again, unless the facilities are updated and the outside was cleaned up. Staff was very nice and pleasant.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NJmommy123
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Dear Guest thanks for your balanced review. We take your recommendations to heart and will consider your smoking concerns for the future season. We apologize for the mirror not being mounted as that is not a common thing in our rooms and we are surprised but glad to know about it. Please note, it is our policy to fix such things immediately when reported. We apologize for not having detected that in advance. Also, we agree with your comments about the pool chairs. Updating plans for the pool deck are already in the works.

Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The place is just filthy. Parking is a pain in the butt, not enough when hotel is full. Lots of smokers. Was not a bargain price either, so it was not good dollar value. Other hotels in this vicinity are cleaner, but all lack the same amenities. So all things being equal, this hotel should be cleaner to compete. If you ask me, the whole place needs a good annual power washing and coat of paint.

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Gabyhp

Dear Guest, we are sorry you were disappointed. Please be assured we are working to beautify the property. Much needed hidden rehabilitation work has already been completed. Most of the building has undergone extensive stripping and repainting. However, we still have some exposed areas remaining in order to treat, repair, and patiently test a few more recalcitrant leaks and rust issues before final coating. We are almost there. This building, like many of wildwood's doo wop motels, is an oldie but goodie. Unfortunately it did not get enough TLC in the recent past. But we love it and we are trying to do right by it. Please note, power washing is done 3 or 4 times a year, however, during busy periods we opt to wash by less noisy methods. Being a vacation spot just a half block from the beach, we find it necessary to hose and brush down the place quite often. But we agree that nothing beats a good 3500 psi power washing.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

This is the first time I went to the beach with just my kids and me. The room was ok sized but we only used it to change and sleep so size wasn't any concern to me. The owner and management was great, very nice and considerate. I left my car keys with them because I parked someone in but they kindly would give them back to me whenever I needed them. It was also very close to the beach and only about 3 blocks from beach blast so I was very happy with the location and the kindness of the owner and staff I will be back every time I go down to wildwood. Thank you for making my trip better.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have just recently stayed at the hotel, and let me begin by saying there was ONE positive about the hotel: location! It has a great location and is a short walk to pretty much anything! Rite Aid is across the street, and there are many diners in walking distance.

Now as for the negatives, I don't even know where to begin. Me and 5 other guests stayed in the H apartment, and was not worth the price. For one, our air conditioning units did not work. We did inform the front desk, and the air conditioning units were switched with units that worked, but would not get colder than 74.

With that being said, almost everything in the room was broken. The television in the master bedroom would not turn on. Also, the shower would not stay hot, even if it was the first shower of the day. Our toilet was not only disgusting, but it did not flush most of the time. Keeping on the subject of the bathroom, our "clean" towels were stained with who knows what and they were smaller than my torso.

Now for the kitchen, the fridge was a nice thing to have since we were staying for three nights. But we had no way to cook anything. For one, our toaster would burn everything and would smoke and turn on the fire alarm if anything was put in it. Our stove had ONE working burner, and even that burner took three years and a day to heat up.

One more reason I suggest not staying at this hotel, they have horrible customer service. We were constantly hassled in our room about extra guests when we had no one that did not belong. We had the manager open our door and barge in UNANNOUNCED which I feel to be totally unacceptable. We also had the security guard sitting outside of our room smoking cigarettes on our chairs (I am severely allergic to cigarette smoke). I also got a call early in the morning about a noise complaint. This was absurd considering everyone was sleeping except for me, and I was walking to the bathroom. It is beyond me how a 115 pound woman could create so much noise for someone to complain.

With all this being said, don't waste your time or money here. The rooms are dirty and smell. The bathrooms don't work. The kitchens don't work. And the managers are rude and nasty. You would be better off renting a room in another motel.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank HaileyKraut
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Guest, with all due respect, we strongly feel your review mischaracterizes our facilities, and unfairly disparages our staff including our terrific security guard who has overseen nearly a decade of prom student guests visiting Wildwood. You failed to mention how cordial and smooth things went when we gave you permission to use the room a day early to store your luggage, stock up your groceries in the refrigerator, and leave your car on our lot. You asked about one of the AC’s power buttons not working. We gave you a remote control which works to switch on and control the digital unit. It also works to lower the temperature. You can set it as low as 62 if you like. It has both heat and cool mode. Perhaps you did not have it on the right settings since you say you had problems with all three units? You say we changed AC units but we never swapped out any units as they all work fine.

We regret the water temperature was not warm enough for you. We could have easily fixed that if notified (previous guests found it too hot, and we had lowered it upon their request). The claim about the stove burners is perplexing. We have had subsequent guests stay in this very apartment, including prom student guests like yourselves who have cooked in the kitchen and offered the staff dinner. We checked the burners; they heated up extremely fast, untouchable in 5 seconds. All four burners are working. The claim about the television is also baffling. We checked and its working. Sorry you felt the towels were smaller than your torso. The towels are a standard common size you will find all over Wildwood: four feet long.

The claim that a manager barged in on your apartment is inaccurate. We never “barge” in on folks. We do stand at doorways with partially open doors and noisy crowds inside in order to investigate a ruckus or crowd forming activity. We enter rooms only after knocking and giving a warning. We always give warnings and make our presence known.
As regards being ‘hassled’ about extra guests, there is an enormous amount of young person foot traffic to keep track of on a prom weekend. It behooves us to ask congregations of young people to show wristbands as they traverse the facility or as crowds start trickling into rooms. We do not go into rooms without cause and without warning. It’s the right practice in order to maintain security and safety. Most students are happy to comply. Parents are especially glad that we do this.
I the manager did make one phone call to you with a stern warning about noise. It was between 12:30 and 1AM. Music and loud noises were going on intermittently throughout the day, but it was not severe and I never made a fuss over that. However, late at night some excessive running, screaming, and stomping noises traveled down the interior stairwell to the first floor. This is why I called and demanded that you quiet down. You guys were good about that and the noise stopped in under five minutes and we appreciated that. No other staff member has any recollection of calling at 4AM.
We have found no wrong doing or unprofessional behavior among our staff in terms of rudeness or failure to follow protocol regarding enforcing the facility rules and regulations, and we have found that all the items claimed to be non-functional are in fact functional.

Lastly, I would like to defend our security guard, an upstanding family man with a few teens of his own. He is a gentleman and would have gladly put out his cigarette if he knew that it bothered anyone in the slightest. We have had parents call in to commend our security guard because their sons and daughters actually go home and inform the parents of how well he handled incidents with them and their friends. It is a very rare occasion for him to take a quiet smoke break well into the night after things have settled down. Please also consider the fact that the balcony space outside your unit is extra long and one can sit outside the unit whilst avoiding being too close to the door or window.

The Royal Court Motel remains an excellent place for students to stay during our designated prom weekends. We welcome parents and students to call in any time and find out for themselves who we are, and how we operate. We strive to strike a balance between our sympathy and understanding for young kids and their expectations and desires, and our firm commitment to enforcing the regulations and policies that are crucial to promoting safety and security.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

It's not the Four Seasons. It's a motel. I didn't expect the park avenue experience.
The rooms are very dated, the entire hotel is actually. The bathrooms look very institutional. One ice machine on the first floor.
The photos on their website are a little misleading.
I will say the service was great. The staff was friendly. The rooms were cheap and clean. The motel is in walking distance to just everywhere. I got what I paid for. No complaints.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank PrettyGirlsRockAvon
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed at this motel the last week of June in 2011 and 2012. It's located near everything - a 5 minute walk to the boardwalk and beach, 2 blocks from the Convention Center, and right across the street from a 24-hour Rite Aid. Both years that I was there, I parked my car when I arrived on Monday and never used it until I checked out on Friday. Note that while it's 5 minutes from the BEACH, if you plan to swim, it's about 15 minutes from the OCEAN. Wildwood has a very wide beach, and it's about a quarter of a mile from the boardwalk to where the surf hits the sand. The motel has 2 pools, free ice, a microwave and fridge in every room, and daily maid service. Some reviewers have pointed out that the rooms are fairly small and that some of the furniture is worn, which is true, but that's true of ALL the motels in downtown Wildwood. If I wanted the Hyatt, I'd stay at the Hyatt, and I would be charged Hyatt prices. This place is a great bargain for what you pay, and I'll most likely stay there again this Summer.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo