“Very Disapointed. Decor was old and dingy. Thought I was back I'n the "60's"” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Court Motel

Royal Court Motel
and 1 more site!
Royal Court Motel
Ranked #50 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
“Very Disapointed. Decor was old and dingy. Thought I was back I'n the "60's"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2011

The only positive I can write about royal court is sheets were clean and towels changed daily. Very badly maintained, furniture chipped some drawers broken, bed extremely uncomfortable decor nasty, bathroom a disaster,kitchen awful, I will never go back, check-out was 10am we asked to delay until 10.30 were told 10.15 or else extra charge. ... Housekeeper was very pleasant and hard- working very nice lady

• Stayed July 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rlecht
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, July 14, 2011
Dear reviewer, we regret to hear of your disappointment. We actually painted and changed the decor recently and have received very positive feedback from our repeat guests. We aimed for a traditional beach hotel look with cream furniture and neutral colors in most rooms. We are sorry to hear about the late checkout incident. In general it is our policy to permit a thirty minute courtesy leeway to guests unless we need to do work in the room or if we have an early check-in scheduled. The manager on duty had thought he told you there was no problem with a 10:30 checkout. He does not recall discussing the late checkout charges but he thinks that perhaps he might have mentioned to you that we do charge late checkout fees (for example $10 for an 11AM checkout). We are very sorry about the misunderstanding or if there was a mistake made on our manager's part. Your feedback on the rooms is most welcome, and we will look into the issues you mentioned. The Royal Court, like many motels by the Wildwood NJ shore and boardwalk is a Doo Wop motel with a history stretching back to the 60's. The current owners only acquired the property a few years ago just prior to the economic downturn, and they are making steady improvements every year. We are sorry you won't be back, but we will continue to strive to improve this wonderful building and recapture what it was back in heydays of Wildwood.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Macomb, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2011

As a family we planned this trip and went to Wildwood, NJ. We had 4 Adults and 3 Kids (2,3, and 4 years old). We booked in advanced and were told that we will get a 2 Bedroom Apartment with a Kitchen, Bathroom and Living room space on the 3rd floor. Once we arrived, we were greeted by a nice gentlemen and he took our info and credit card and gave us the keys to the apartment. We went upstairs to check it out and mannn were we surprised when we walked into this apartment. Dirty, Filthy, Refrigerator had so much dirt in and around it, No outlet covers in hallway and bedrooms, electrical cables were hanging out of the walls, Mold in the bathroom, there were urine/poop stains on the toilet (it clearly was not cleaned),toilet was not flushing, Shower head seemed to be missing, Bedroom sheets were dirty, black stains and red stains on it (looked like Blood). Door hinges inside the apartment were about to fall off, there was a board attached to a wall in the hallway that hid a door that connected our apartment to the apartment next door. We were discussed, and left the apartment right away. We took pictures of all of these above as proof. We also have pictures of the railings that was not attached to the building and one part in front of our apartment was broken, we were definitely scared for our safety and went back to the office to tell them that we are not staying there. The guy brought out a lady and she was just talking about how everything was minor and how they can fix it right away. She wouldn't even apologize. We had seen enough and did not want to stay at this property, we ended up paying more than what we had originally paid for this apartment, but we didn't care, at least we had a clean apartment and great customer service that we could enjoy with our family.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Nevzeta
royalcourt, Manager at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, July 8, 2011
The Management agrees with some of the above complaints and we want to start by saying we are sorry about those things. We did concede and apologize to the guest about a stain on the inner toilet seat (but which did not seem to be poop), and about the two missing plate covers for an inactive light switch wire, and a cable wire entry point (recently worked on by the cable company). Also, an old thermostat wiring had creeped out of a crevice behind a door frame meeting the wall. The refrigerator was clean, however, the guest did point out a small negligible tear in the two inch length cushion upon which a shelf was resting. The guest also
found a sheet on one of the three beds that they inspected and which indeed had a stain. This was a small yellow rust stain and the sheet was also thread bare in two areas. On occasion the linen laundering company does deliver sheets that may exhibit these types of defect, and we apologize that this sheet was not properly inspected and discarded by the housekeeper. However there were no blood stains reported to or seen by us and the sheet was clean. There were no issues with the toilet flushing or the small sized shower head, and these latter two points were not brought to our notice by the above guests or subsequent guests. The door problem pertained to a bracket with lose screws that needed to be tightened back. The board the guest speaks of is actually homosote sound proofing board which we use to reduce noise migration between adjoining rooms. The board is located in a hallway adjoining another room and does not impose on the esthetics of the living areas. The broken railing on the balcony regards a vertical slat which was corroded from where it meets the concrete floor. Although this problem does not pose an imminent threat, we are sorry the repair had not been made as we are exploring options to fix the small spot or replace the entire railing in the off season.

We did regard all the interior issues to be easily remediable and we offered to do so in a matter of 15 to 20 minutes. This is why we had described them as minor issues and we did not intend to offend the guest. We also offered the guest the opportunity to take a different apartment with the same amenities, however the guest declined to consider this offer.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience to the guest. At the same time we are saddened and perplexed as to why the guest was not open to what were obviously easily and quickly resolvable matters (save for the exterior railing slat issue).

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

We have stayed here the last 2 years. We have always found the staff to be helpful. The place is very clean. The pools are beautiful. The small one is great for little ones and the big one is big enough to swim laps. We ca't wait to go back. My teenagers already planning to go there with their families when they have them. The beach and boardwalk are close.
We loved the 2 bed room apts - plenty of room for everyone - We stay for a week so that is important. WE also use the kitchen to cook - which great on rainy days.

Room Tip: If you have teenagers - the 2 bedroom apt
  • Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank fes5
Providence, Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

I came here for a weekend with college friends. We're a fun group, but respectful. The entire staff was incredibly rude, there was a security guard clearly on drugs that smoked in our room, the pool had no water in it, the entire property (especially the rooms) were FILTHY, and there was no hot water in the showers. At the end of our stay, when we went to check out, they told us that they would not give us our full deposit back because the security guard said we were smoking in the room (not one person that was in my room even smokes, and we were all disgusted when the security guard smoked in our room). The security guard also pulled a knife out on my friends.
My family owns one of the best hotels in Greece, I've worked at the Four Points by Sheraton, The Marriott, The Hilton, and my family's hotel, and I'm a hotel management major as well. I also travel a lot, and therefore have stayed at A LOT of hotels, and this was BY FAR the worst experience I've ever had. I recommend that no one books a room here. They'll steal your money, make your trip miserable, and you'll probably end up with some sort of rash from the disgusting beds.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2011
3 Thank Maria301
With all due respect, we wish to give our side of the story. This fraternity group gave us a very difficult time during their stay here. Wildwood has a tradition of hosting students. We have hosted student weekends for over ten years and we have also hosted large groups who hold parties on our pool deck and have a great time year after year. But with his group our experience was that of repeated inability to meet our reasonable requests to calm themselves down and respect the neighborhood and our property. Smoking was not only reported by our security guard. Staff members also witnessed smoking in the rooms. We discovered on the last day that one of the rooms had kegs --a first at our property. Most of the persons the staff tried to communicate with were intoxicated much of the time. The pool deck had broken beer bottle glass, and staff picked up empty alcohol vials littered in the corridor and stairwell. Repeated attempts were made to have the group quiet down, to move their vehicle, which was blocking parking spaces, and to stop openly displaying and drinking alcoholic beverages as per law. Our requests were often met with anger, or dismissal, or promises that were not always kept. It took valuable staff time for supervision and several reminders for complete follow through. Some members of this group behaved very badly and gave us a very hard time, in part because they had been drinking and they did not realize that they were being belligerent at the time. I ask the reviewer to consider that if they duplicated this behavior at the Sheraton or Marriot whether they may not get ejected from the premises. I also ask the reviewer to reconsider the claim that your group was respectful. At check-in some people were already huffing at staff over the deposit requirement even though we emailed the group leader all our rules and regulations (and we had reminded him twice on the phone to let everyone know). At check-out, one of your members had to wait because their room showed signs of damage. Meanwhile we took care of another guest checking in. Due to this wait time and the loss of his deposit, the young man felt the need to throw his wrist band at and insult the desk clerk which was quite startling and disturbing. Indeed we are not a Sheraton or Marriot. We are a small family owned business that has years of successful and positive experience with young adult guests. We, our property, and the city of Wildwood deserve the same respect, and regard as any higher class hotel. Please also bear in mind the noise regulations, and smoking fine at these fine hotels versus the sum total deposit the group forfeited for 11 rooms: $290 which in addition to the smoking charge, includes a fee for a lost key, for having to sanitize and provide a new bedspread, and for damage to a shelving rack. Please consider that perhaps what you may perceive as stealing deposits or rudeness from our staff might in fact be a result of some legitimate difficult issues that we faced. For the staff, simply asking nicely usually did not work and elicited ill will. Many individuals just did not seem to accept that the noise levels, alcohol regulations, and standard hotel rules needed to be respected. Some people tried to tell the staff “boys will be boys”. But such an excuse would be inappropriate at any lodging facility whether it be the Hilton or a small family run Wildwood NJ Motel. There are basic legal and property regulations in place to protect all guests, staff, and the neighborhood and we feel that these rules were being violated multiple times throughout the stay. We hope you will stop to consider whether your indignation might not be misplaced.

Additionally, as regards the security guard, we had asked for corroborative details of the accusations from the group but they have not been forthcoming. We would be most grateful for any information you can provide and we will not be hiring this individual again. Please note that we did bring in a different security guard after things with the group became increasingly difficult for our staff.
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

This was my first experience in Wildwood and I loved it! This motel is in walking distance of everything interesting! Beach, Boardwald, restaurants. The owners and the staff are very nice and so available! The room was big, bright and super clean. I would recommand this motel to every one. I would not go anywhere else when I go back to Wildwood!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Funniered
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2010

This motel is walking distance to everything, the boardwalk, the convention center, the Harley Davidson dealership. This was my first stay in the Royal Court Motel and I could not have asked for a better place. The people were always present on the grounds, they became friends, they were warm kind and answered every question of ours. The rooms are impeccable, the size it perfect, it is not cramped and the beds are very comfortable. If you need to stay at a motel I suggest this one because from now on this is the only one I will be staying at when in Wildwood. The best part is the rooms are not expensive so you can MAXIMIZE your time in Wildwood. Home away from home!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

The location & staff was great except one staff member. The young girl working was rude and unprofessional, she yelled at a fellow employee in front of all of us. She also profiled us because we were a big group saying we had to be quiet because there was an elderly woman next door. The entire time there was no one next door, the curtains were open and the room was dark and empty. This is our 4th year coming here and we have never had a problem or have been disrespectful and were upset to be treated that way especially considering how well we were treated by the other employees.

Besides that; our stay was great. We had nice clean rooms that housekeeping kept up well our entire stay. There are 2 pools which is great when there are a lot of people. One of the managers, a very nice employee who was young, let us stay later in the pool because we came late from the beach. The owners of the hotel are always so helpful. Upon booking, steve worked with me so well to guarentee the best stay possible. I do recommend staying there, its location is so conveniant and most of the employees do their best to help with customer satisfaction. Thanks steve and thhe royal court motel staff!

• Stayed August 2009
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
royalcourt, Front Desk Clerk at Royal Court Motel, responded to this review, August 8, 2010
Dear Divabc121,
Thanks for your fair and balanced review. Your group was great and I want to apologize about any incidents of unprofessional behavior on my part to you and to all fellow employees. Yeah, you guys were a large group, and I admit that when you first walked in and it was not a family, but a group of 11 younger folks I became guarded and felt I had to inform you about the potential noise factor. I did not realize I came off rude and I did not know you were repeat guests until you explained that to me. I'm sorry I profiled you. I truly did believe we had a grandmother and her grandchild set to stay in between your two rooms. I realized the next day that she was actually a floor below you guys for 2 nights (for beach blast). I even mentioned it to one fellow in your group that "oh that woman was actually staying on the 2nd floor below" when he stopped by the office on another day, although I'm not sure he knew what I was talking about! Thanks again for your review. We appreciate your praise and constructive criticism. All eleven of you were extremely cute in your matching Wildwood T-shirts by the way!