“Great Location, Staff and Pool!”
Review of Oceanic Hotel

Oceanic Hotel
Ranked #48 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed December 10, 2011

My husband and I (no children, late 20s-early 30s) booked the Oceanic for a 5 night stay that ended up overlapping with the arrival of Hurricane Irene. We called the day before we were due to arrive to confirm that the hotel was good to go after the storm. They said YES so we made our way to Wildwood. I'm from South Jersey. I've been to Wildwood many many times but I never needed a hotel room so I had to rely on TripAdvisor (I currently reside in Boston). From what I can tell, all Wildwood hotel rooms, except for those that you pay 40% more for, are going to offer this: Two flat pillows, a passable mattress, a small room, a fridge, a bathroom, maybe a balcony. This is what the Oceanic also offers. We got an ocean-facing balcony which was a huge plus (just had to ask for it when booking). Sure, the rooms need updating. I could use more pillows, a less confusing TV (what was with that?) and a more affordable WiFi option (some of us have to do a little work on our vacation). But this is what Wildwood hotels are like. What sets this one apart from the rest: the LOCATION, the staff and the pool.
There were many great things about this hotel. The pool was great. I did not mind "outsiders"(how would I know anyway?). It was not crowded. The tiki bar was awesome but not intrusive for the guests that did not want to drink or had children with them. The staff helped us find fun, little-known things to do (even things I didn't know about!) and were always willing to help. They even made reservations for us!
The only reason I'm giving this place 3 stars is that, really, the rooms aren't great. But I wouldn't expect much else for the price or, frankly, what other hotels are offering. Pay more if you want, but unless you go to the StarLux or rent a private home, trust this local gal when I say that this is what you're going to get.

This was a very nice stay for me and my husband. We would go back!

TL;DR: Good place for couples (young and young at heart). No rating for families (as I do not have children). Great staff. Run-of-the-mill Wildwood hotel rooms. Pay-by-day WiFi. Great pool and tiki bar. Would return.

Room Tip: East-facing balconies have ocean views from any floor!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank KatiefromSJerz

Reviewed October 27, 2011

Two families (six kids and two adults) found the hotel online, had a nice conversation with the general manager, looked at the online reviews, and decided to take the risk and book a four night/five day vacation there.

Mistake.

Hotel is not clean-- we had to switch rooms as it stunk when we first got there.

Hotel is not safe-- since the bar/pool is open to the public until late every night there was weird noises (kids were scared, which meant parents were up) outside our door until late at night. Not fun.

Lastly, on day two we found out about the pending hurricane on direct course for the area. Hotel soon notified us they were under mandatory evacuation and everyone must leave right away. OK, so not the hotels fault-- just give us our $$$ back for the unused nights, right. Absolutely not-- "hotel policy is no refunds for bad weather!" Give me a break-- we did not have the choice to stay at the hotel and go to the movies-- cops were going through the kicking everyone out. Hotel then said-- we will give you a credit for another night (outside of the many blackout days) Lame as all our friends that were at other hotels got refunds for the mandatory hurricane evacuations.

Think again before you book at the Oceanic Hotel.

3  Thank berkonet
Reviewed October 24, 2011

Great place for a summer day. They grill by the pool and the drinks are cheap enough.
Service is above average. On Weds. they have the Cindi Ramond Band and they are great.
Worth a check in season. Say Hi to Steve and Rose for me.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Starduster5
Reviewed September 18, 2011

I feel sorry for everyone that booked that weekend that Hurricane Irene hit. Deposit was not refunded even though there was a state of emergency in New Jersey and evacuating the area! Most ridiculous experience with a hotel yet!

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank X X
Reviewed September 14, 2011

Oceanic is in dier need of renovation to update the facility. If you're looking for comfort and great amenities this is not place for you. The hotel is across the street from convention center, access to the beach is very convenient.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Brina2blu
Reviewed August 27, 2011

This place is a dump! We checked in on 8/22 and only stayed 10 minutes. We rented an efficiency suite for $275 a night but we wouldn't have paid a $100 a night for this place. The first room we walked into was the sitting room, consisting of a sunken in couch that looked like it hadn't been cleaned since 1982 and an old style t.v. The "kitchen" area consisted of a stained refrigerator and counter/sink area. The electric stove was housed in the second bedroom! We couldn't even bring ourselves to sit in the room or touch anything. The odor in the room reminded me of stale beer. There is a reason there are no pictures of the rooms on their website. My only regret is not taking pictures during the little time we were there.
Thankfully we were able to get our money back from the front desk. Apparently we were the only ones to ever complain about the quality of their rooms (I doubt this). Unfortunately, Wildwood lost some business that week as we hightailed it to Atlantic City for the week.

4  Thank BES1019
Reviewed August 25, 2011

The location was awesome - right across the convention center. Only had to cross one road to get to the boardwalk/beach.
The staff/ front desk were always pleasant and nice. The tiki bar/pool was great. I noticed it had it sign that it was opened to the public and was concerned there would be wild crazy crowds, but had no issues. Our room was right above the pool and was never disturbed with noise. I can see it being crazy during peek times (holidays, senior week, etc...)
The room was OK. Standard room with 2 beds. Small but wasnt expecting much more - its wildwood! The bathroom was outdated, but was OK. My biggest complaint was the hot water wasnt hot. It was luke warm.
Great location!