“Not the best”

Ranked #53 of 76 Hotels in Wildwood
New York
“Not the best”
Reviewed August 21, 2007

I just came back from a one week stay at the Mango in Wildwood. I chose it due to good reviews on this site and the Mango's website. We were disappointed. The room was very small and dingy. The website made it look nicer than it was. The beds were small and hard. The ceiling looked like it was coming down and the outdated vertical blinds would not close properly making the tiny room feel like a fishbowl at night.
In all fairness, we were 2.5 blocks to the boardwalk/beach. The pool and jacuzzi were adequate. I could not get a decent cup of coffee anywhere within walking distance in the mornings. Everyone said the owners were so friendly. They were not rude but also not very available. You have to ring a bell to get their attention which always made me feel like we were bothering them. I would never stay there again and can not recommend it to others. There are many better hotels available. Do yourself a favor and stay at one of them.

• Liked — At least the airconditioner worked
  • Disliked — Many things
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank TheHappyTravler

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New York
Reviewed August 20, 2007

I just spent a lovely week in Wildwood, NJ at the Mango Motel. It was the first time I stayed at this motel & it was a very nice stay. The motel had everything I desire. I would recommend this motel. It's in the center of everything. It was comfortable, quiet & the people were very nice.

• Liked — location, quiet, had what I like in a room
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank Debby26
New Jersey
Reviewed August 5, 2007

I never expected this place to be 5 star. Or 4 star. Or 3 star for that matter. But I did expect a clean, comfortable room. We got none of this. And because the room was in such shambles, I give this place the lowest score.

The folks that run the place seem nice enough; I had no problems with them. But how they could charge people for the quality of room they gave us really boggled my mind, and made me second guess the friendly nature of this place. They charged us 130 per night at this place, which for me was a complete rip considering the size and condition of the room.

First of all, the Island Room, which is what we saw on the website, for couples only, is depicted as large and spacious with a table and chairs, a snack bar, and plenty of room around the bed. Actually, the room, #2, was HALF the size and had no snack bar, no table with chairs, nor did it have even half the space that the picture on the website had. The bed took up almost the entire room with minimal space to walk around it. Also, the room is next to the loudest ice machine ever. This was the most minor of complaints that we had.

Secondly, the place was disgusting. Damaged ceiling tiles with brown leak stains, big huge chips in the woodwork around the bed and walls, rusty loose change on the horizontal surface above the coat rack area that was there before we got there, stained sheets and bed cover, sticky looking stains on the walls near the AC unit, and a grimy TV remote control about sums it up. The room needed an entire overhaul.

Thirdly, some non-gross aspects of the room that made our stay all the more irritating were the cheap and hard mattress that hurt my back both nights, blinds that people could see through, a toilet that had a handle you needed to hold down for the entire duration of the flush in order for it to work properly, no phone, and being underneath the owner’s own apartment at the motel, which on it’s own shouldn’t have been bad other than the fact that they were extremely noisy, with constant bumps and thumps as if from the feet of children all day and most of the night until late, around 11pm.

Partially in addition to the previous complaints was the severely clogged drain in the tub. We could have called the front desk (using our cell phone perhaps since there was no phone in the room) but we just dealt with it because our time spent in the shower was minimal since we spent as little time in this room as we could. I wouldn’t include that in the rating but it was just the icing on the cake that made our stay here that much worse.

All in all, I'm a forgiving, understanding traveler, and though my wife utterly hated the room right off the bat, I tried to give it a little time. But she was right; it just took me longer to come to the same conclusion. The room was horrible and the other rooms were WAY to expensive for just two people to stay in by themselves. This was the couple’s room and we got the short end of the stick.

I wouldn’t tell you not to stay here, but I will never come back to this place again. I can't say the other rooms are this bad since we didn’t see them, and they were packed with no vacancy that weekend, so perhaps the other rooms are not as bad. Both overall, I feel my rating is generous. It almost ruined our weekend.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tronsta

Travelers are raving about these Wildwood hotels

montreal
Reviewed July 18, 2007

The rooms are small. Ours slightly smell humidity. The AC is very very noisy. It is well located and has parking lots available. One of the owner is very welcoming. We had softball players that made a lot of noise all night and the owners did not stop them from disturbing us. We complained the morning after and this when the frustration and the real personnality of one of the owner went out. She was rude, extremly rude and very unpleasant . She basically ask us to leave whereas we did not do anything wrong, the softball players did. Very bad experience. If you go there, hope not to have problems because you will be stock with them. Outside of that, it is a OK motel, nothing fancy, a little bit of painting falling, towel rack broken but outside of one of the two owners, all is fine. Make sure you know that week-ends can be wild I wonder if Wildwood does not come from that....!

Stayed July 2007
1 Thank misyt
Gloucester County
Reviewed July 11, 2007

AWESOME MOTEL! Took 8 families for Beach Blast Tournament - rooms were nice & clean. Owners could not have been more accommodating! Treated us like we were guests in their own home!!! Have stayed at numerous motels in Wildwood over the past 3 years - this would be the only place I would return to with my family!!! Great location to the beaches & boards - never needed to drive anywhere!!! Pool/Hot Tub/Grilling area was immaculant! Definitely the place to stay!!

• Liked — The Owners/Managers : )
  • Disliked — Can't Think Of anything!
  • Stayed June 2007
Maryland
Reviewed August 19, 2006

My husband and I just got back from a weekend getaway in Wildwood. This is our 4th summer going there, we usually go for a longer period of time but could only fit in a long weekend this time. The Mango was one of the only properties with any rooms available and when I called she said ours was the last room. And from the pictures on the website the rooms looked very nice. We have stayed at a different location each year that we go. We just like to see what each place has to offer. The location of the hotel was great. It was about 2 blocks from the boardwalk and in the middle of all the action once you got onto the boardwalk. The management was very nice and helpful. The rooms were just ok at best. They were clean, no problems there. The pictures on the website only show one half of the room. They show the bed, TV and table, but they dont show you the other half which looks very run down and plain. The rooms are just very old. Some of the walls had spots where the paint was being peeled off and there were a couple of holes in our carpet. The bed was very hard and low to the ground which we are not used to. I would also recommend bringing your own pillows if you stay here, as the ones they give you are like pancakes! Maid service was fine. The room we stayed in had a fridge and microwave which was very convienent. Parking was very limited but they do have a lot across the street that they own that you can park in also. I dont think we will stay here again, but if you are looking for something basic then the Mango will be a perfect choice for you. It worked fine for what we needed since we were not in the room very often, only to sleep!

• Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank iluvdisney
PA
Reviewed August 14, 2006

My family and I went for our first visit to the beach and could not have luck up on a better place to stay. Not only was it conviently located blocks away from the boardwalk and beach, but the hotel itself was nice. It is always my preference to deal with small business owners who take the time out to make sure that anything that they can do to make your stay more comfortable, is there pleasure. This was an unplanned getaway for the family and the owner was quite willing to assist us with arrangements at the last minute, even going out of the way after hours to make sure that we got into our lodging. The pool was quite nice and the rules of the pool were followed by all guest. Even when I ducked in my room for a minute, someone was there to warn against the kids being unsupervised. The rooms were clean and they even supplied us with a coffee set-up outside in the mornings. For the price range, this was a very nice, comfortable, and conviently set-up.

• Liked — convenience
  • Disliked — No access to internet
  • Tips/Secrets — Owners quite knowledgeable about area, ask for recommendations