“Didn't even get to see a room”
Review of Bolero Resort

Bolero Resort
Ranked #53 of 75 Hotels in Wildwood
Reviewed August 12, 2007

I stopped in recently to the Bolero to get some rates for
a week in September. There were five people behind
the front desk and I was totally ignored - they were too
busy talking about their weekends, etc. Finally, I said
"Hello?" . One of the reps asked me if I needed help
and I asked for a brochure with the rates. The five people
all looked at each other like I was asking for something
outrageous. None of them could figure out if the hotel
even HAD brochures and no one even knew anything
about rates.

What a ridiculous place this is! How could a hotel not
have a brochure or at the very least, a rate schedule.
They had brochures on everything else going on in
Wildwood, but knew nothing about the place they
are supposed to be working at.

I ended up booking six nights further down on Atlantic
Avenue, which I did not want to do because the Bolero
is in the center of some of the attractions our family
were interested in (i.e. water park, restaurants, comedy
club)

I work at a hotel in Cape May, NJ and if this ever
happened, I would lose my job. Is this place trying
to sell rooms or not?

Shame on you for not offering customer service!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank islandgirllansdale

Reviewed July 11, 2007

Came to Wildwood on business. Typically stay an hour north in Atlantic City at chain hotels, but thought I would try staying in Wildwood. "New" rooms were not clean, furniture was old, no hangers in the closet, no iron or ironing board, could not find internet access, etc. Basically, all amentities you would find at some of the Hilton or Marriot chains...Bolero did not have. Sheets were surprisingly clean, but next time I will stay in a chain hotel.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank fsmith2
Reviewed December 13, 2006

You see "resort" and have certain expectations. This place wouldn't have met the expectations you may have had if you saw "motel"... Make sure you confirm that you're staying in the main building and not in the back section!!!!! If you've not been down there before, there is no way to know that they are putting you into what looks like a trashy motel. The room stunk and the bedroom smelled like a wet dog. I called the front desk and they were not only unhelpful, but also impolite. I felt like I was staying in a trailer park. This was, by far, the most unpleasant stay I have had on the Jersey shore... DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank WMMW
Reviewed October 12, 2006

The rooms were okay but the management was horrible. We stayed there when a soccer tournament was happening and it was out of controll. Around 20 kids from ages around 5 years to 15 were running back and fourth across the second floor making terrible racket. It kept on untill around 1:30 at night. They were unsupervised while the parents were too busy drinking to care. When we went to complain the employes were to busy saying they couldn't do anything about it then even help try to stop the chaos(in other words they did not care at all). The manager lied about when the owner would come in and the best they could do to stop the racket was send an old man who didn't speak much english. The hot tubs had at least 15 kids in each one and the pool was to crowded to move. Where were the parents, to busy drinking. There was one kid who was unsupervised pulling hair, kicking, punching, and spitting at people he didn't know, me. Over all the management was horrible with no service and filled with people who did not care. This was a horrible experience. Dont go to Bolero!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank lstowe1963
Reviewed August 1, 2006

This was my second time at the Bolero and after my first stay last summer, I urged a number of people to also go there. Now I regret it.

I booked a Friday to Monday stay with my wife and three kids over a month in advance. My brother booked with his family at the same time. My "experience" with the hotel started by their refusal to put our rooms on the same floor - they said it couldn't be done (over a month in advance!).

Anyhow, check-in was easy enough and we were initially excited to get a room on a low floor (because of the famously slow elevators that others have mentioned) near the elevators. It was room 3002.

The room looked nice enough and had five pillows for our five heads. But my wife, who is 8 months pregnant, wanted one more pillow to sleep better. Two requests the first night for a pillow - both times they said they didn't have a single available pillow, but they would put it on "the list."

We later discovered that one of the pillow cases had a fresh, nasty stain in the middle of it (how could the maid have missed it?) and asked for a new pillow case. They were able to accommodate that request.

After settling in, we decided to go to the hotel restaurant with my brother and his family for a drink before heading out to dinner. We asked the hostess for a large table to fit our party of 9.

She said if we were just there for drinks, we'd have to sit at the bar (the restaurant was maybe 10% full) and our kids could stand behind our bar stools. No thanks.

When we returned from a visit to the Boards at 10 PM, the music was blasting in the bar/restaurant. Since the bar/restaurant is 2 stories high, that meant our room was just above the sound and it blasted into our room until 1:30 AM or so.

When the music was finished, the hallway full of drunk 20-somethings took over with screaming and yelling for hours.

Not so conducive for getting three children under 7 to sleep.

We were woken early the next morning (6 am) by what sounded like a constant banging on our wall. We later realized that it was the door to the laundry, ice and soda machines. Each time somebody entered and exited, the door would close hard just a few feet from our heads.

Another request for a pillow - another time we were told it would be added to "the list."

The second night, we got back early and happened to get in the elevator at the same time as the sound guy for the music that night. I asked him how late they'd be going and he said 3 AM. Grand!

With music blasting away, our power went out at about midnight. I went down to the front desk and noticed the power outage didn't impact the music or lights on the first floor. Turns out only the third floor went out.

I told the woman at the front desk and she just gave me a surly "I know it's out." So I asked if she knew when it would be coming back on - after all, it was very hot and we now had no A/C. She just replied with "No" and looked back down.

A call to the front desk at 1 AM and still no news. Finally at 2 AM, the power was back on.

Like clockwork, the drunk 20-somethings were back in the hallway to rampage after the music ended.

The next morning, after a second night of horrible sleep, I went to put on the TV in the living room area. Nothing.

I called down to the front desk and a guy was up within a half hour to check things out. Turns out the power outage somehow fried the TV.

He brought back another one for us, but it wasn't compatible with the remote we had from the first TV. He didn't have a remote for the replacement.

That afternoon, we got back from the beach and five of us wanted to shower. The only hitch - the maid left just one tiny bar of soap for the five of us.

Still no extra pillow for my wife, so she called again with a bit of anger in her voice that she couldn't get one extra pillow after three previous requests in three days. She informed the person at the front desk that we didn't plan on returning with this sort of service for what is a pricey hotel comparatively in Wildwood.

Finally, a pillow materialized, and a rather annoyed guy brought it to our room - but not without noting that it was the only available pillow at the hotel and letting us know how fortunate we were to get it.

Luckily, the loud crowd had left for Sunday night, so our kids were able to get to sleep at a decent time.

The next morning at check-out, I was ignored for 5-10 minutes and finally they took my keys. At check-in, they had a mandatory key deposit, so I asked for my money back.

The guy at the front desk seemed annoyed - he said it didn't say anything on my paperwork about it. What would it say? They required $10 in cash for the keys - didn't give me the option to put it on a credit card.

I've got to wonder how many people forget about it, since they don't simply give it back like other places I've stayed in Wildwood.

Will we return? No chance.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
16  Thank velocitynyc
Reviewed July 20, 2006

My mother and I spent about 2-3 weeks on this website and many others trying to find a place to stay. We are very spoiled sad to say and we didn't want to stay in a motel. The Bolero was not our FIRST choice hotel to stay at. The ones we really wanted (Pan America, Port Royal, and the Pier 6600) were either booked or to expensive. We went down for a dance competition but just for one night. I got home tonight actually. After coming to this website I was eager to come home and write my review since I've read so many and they've all HELPED me!

I took one of the other posters advice and stayed at the Hotel part. We booked the Type A. SInce we weren't 100% sure were we wanted to stay we called a week before we were going to Wildwood. The first person my mother talked to was nice it was a women, but she put my mom on hold and a man answered the phone. This man we came face to face with a few times during our trip. I'm guessing he is the owner but I'm not 100%. He has no people skills and in my opinion should NOT be running a hotel! He was rude, and not friendly at all! Before my mom hung up the phone with him he said in a nasty tone "HOPEFULLY YOU'LL GET THE RESERVATION IN THE MAIL BEFORE YOU LEAVE". Thankfully we did two days before we left but thats besides the point.

We checked in around 4:30pm when we drove up I have never seen the outdoor pool and right away saw why the other people who reviewed this hotel didn't like the motel part! It was a DUMP sorry to say. There was only stairs (as what I could see) three levels and I'm most positive all the rooms faced the street/pool area. We walked up to the loby doors after parking and I saw the outdoor pool. Very small, but clean as what I could see and there were two hot tubs. Checking in was not fun, the guy who gave my mom an attitude on the phone gave her one when she checked in. He ignored us for about 5-10 minutes and let my mom stand there waiting. He was talking to a "friend" and then was on the phone very rude. We finally got our room and it was on Floor 5 room 5008 facing the beach side. DO NOT FACE THE BAY SIDE YOU WILL BE LOOKING AT THE UGLY ROAD. We got the two rooms it had a king size bed, sofa bed (which we didnt' open), a wet bar with a sink, microwave (which we didn't use) and a small refrigerator which worked great and was clean. The AC worked but it would go from hot to cold and not stay in the middle.

The Room- The room was clean and neat. The walls need to be painted BADLY, the were ugly boring white and had many marks on them from wear and tear. The couch was ripped but the rug was nice. The light above the wetbar had no lightbulb in it, the screen from the window was broken and was just sitting on the floor.

The Bedroom area- the bed was HARD AS A ROCK! I had to dance at 8am this morning and I'm lucky if I got 5 hours of sleep on that thing! The pillows were nice and soft but the bed was horrible! There was NO ALARM CLOCK OR ANY CLOCK AT ALL IN THE ROOM! Thankfully I brought my own or I would've been in big trouble. There was one nightstand and a lamp which had a very dim light bulb in it. There was also a TV and a very small closet with no closet doors, no mirrors in the bedroom either.

The Bathroom- the bathroom honestly was the nicest in the room in my opinion. IT looked like it was newly redone or just very very clean! There is no fan so it gets very steamy when your taking a shower. The light was very dull so I couldn't see much in there. The water in the shower kept going from cold to hot.

We didn't eat at the reasturant because we were there for dinner and they only had fancy dinner entre's which was VERY expensive! We looked in though and it looked very nice, clean and it was a great place and BIG! I would recommened it for Lunch. We ate across the street for dinner that night.

The POOLS- The outdoor pool like I said was very small and I didn't like that it was right on the street. I didnt' go swimming since we were there only for one night and not even for 24 hours. I went upstairs to go look at the indoor one though it was nice but VERY SMALL! No one was in it though since it was closing in 20 minutes. The exercise area is great but as soon as you walk in they jump on your back! I wouldn't want to work out there espically if no other hotel guests are there because they have about 3 workers up there and its freaky if you ask me.

The Elevator- Ok the elevator is VERY slow and there is only one! THere is no AC in it or fan so its very hot in the summer time. IT BROKE DOWN AT NIGHT. My mom went to tell the manger (i'm guessing) and he was nasty about it. Pretended like he didnt know about it. So after a very long day of traveling, walking ect... we had to climb over 5 flights of steps to our room. We weren't happy about that and of course no appology of any kind.

The Checkout- When my mom went to check out this morning there was no thank you for staying here, hope you had a good time, nothing! They just said "ok your good to go" thats it! Thats very poor business in our eyes and very poor on their part. My mom works with people every day and if she was like that with a costumer she would've gotten fired.

Overall the Bolero was a nice hotel with minor setbacks. Was it worth $156.00? NO of course not! But its prime time season and its a hotel! Again don't stay in the motel part! If you want a big pool area and a nice place to "vacation" I wouldn't book this place hontestly. Its was ok for a one night stay for a dance competition but for a vacation with a family ect.. I wouldn't stay here. i would check out the other HOTEL's! They are nicer in the WIldwood Crest area! This Hotel isn't on the boardwalk or beach. Its almost right across the street from the amusment park area and it does get very NOISEY!

I know this is long but I hope it helped! Feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns!

I'm going to break this up in pro's and con's

PROS
1. It was a Hotel
2. There was an elevator
3. Indoor pool
4. NIce reastuarnt
5. Quick walk to the boardwalk attractions
6. Clean
7. AC
8. Refrigerator
9. Microwave

CONS
1. Elevator broke and they didn't even care
2. Pool location outside
3. Motel Area!
4. Bed was hard as a rock!
5. No Clock in the room at all!
6. TV had very bad reception in both rooms
7. Bathroom had no fan
8. Service/staff was rude and not friendly
9. Only one elevator and its so slow!
10. not alot of parking

• Stayed: July 2006
9  Thank ObsessedDisneyFan
A TripAdvisor Member
Turnersville, NJ
Reviewed June 24, 2006

My mother, two boys (6 and 9), and myself spent one night at the Bolero. I took the advice of an earlier reviewer and stayed on the hotel side (GOOD ADVICE). We had a 2 rm family suite and it was clean and adequate. I chose the Bolero because we anticipated rain the days we were there and we wanted an indoor pool. We really enjoyed the pool area, enclosed in glass with wonderful views of the surrounding city and ocean. The boardwalk is only a short block away. We didn't eat at the restaurant in the hotel, but we did peek in and its was large and nicely decorated with a few bistro style tables outside along the street. Overall, compared to other area lodgings, the Bolero is much better than most and the location is terrific for beachgoers and those wanting to enjoy the boardwalk.

• Stayed: June 2006